To Recirculate or not Recirculate?? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Recirculate or not Recirculate?? That is the question.

Hi, I am a Honda guy and have been for a long time. Well my hatch pissed me off so I sold it and bought a 240. I know, I know....
Anyway, I am turboing the stock 2.4 KA with an A/W setup. I am deciding on whether or not to recirculate the BOV or not. I am really curious to if it reduces lag between shifts.
The setup is a .57 tim t3/t04e .60ar cold .63ar hot. Its a larger ebay a/w ic that will have about 20-24 inches to total IC piping. Log mani. The exhaust is 3in with the wastegate reciculated back in down the line a bit.
I recirculating will dump the hotter air (Post ic) back into the inlet, therefore raising that air charge temp for a sec.
Car is pretty sleeper-ish, so less noise is good, but a BOV whoosh doesnt really bother me.

Thanks
Burke
Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitley recirculate the BOV on any car that runs with the MAF.So if you blow off the air in the charge pipes into the atmosphere, you will have a rich condition between shifts and what not. It can be a pain in the *** and cause bogging and werid symptoms on some cars.

It does this because you are venting air to the atmoshpere that was already metered by the MAF.

The only way to get around this is to move the MAF sensor after the BOV, so when you vent the air, it isn't metered yet.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To Recirculate or not Recirculate?? That is the question. (bdavis)

Recirculate if you are MAF or you will have drivability issues.

VTA if you are speed density.

It will not reduce lag between shifts if you recirculate.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To Recirculate or not Recirculate?? That is the question. (Alfa Turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alfa Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It will not reduce lag between shifts if you recirculate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I wanted to know. I have AEM and 3.5 bar, so no MAF for me.
Just wanted to reduce lag and perhaps be a little quieter. Car looks bone stock, unless you squint you can see the ic radiator up front
Old 01-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use the HKS Racing Bypass and have a small K&N filter on it which quiets it down just a little. By its nature it is not one of the squeeky kind of BOV's more of a rush of air similar to when you disconnect an air line in the shop.

Or... you can attach one of those turkey callers to the BOV discharge (one of my favorites) as seen on Streetfire and the like.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: To Recirculate or not Recirculate?? That is the question. (Alfa Turbo)

Most people dont know this but there more then one type of MAF/AFM there is the Gate Type and there is the Hot wire. Those the are more popular ones atleast.

The gate type like you would see on an MR2 or MKIII supra controls fuel and timing based on load so you would need a VPC or somthing similar to make it reliant upon a Map Sensor for air/fuel readings in order to VTA but even then you couldnt do much tuning with those because you start messing with Timing advance. In order for those to run properly and VTA you would need to convert it to Speed density using a Stand alone.

The Hot wire set ups like on the 240 simply controls Fuel based on air with an SAFC a hotwire equipped car can VTA with out any problems there is actually a setting on the SAFC for hot wire cars. The SR20 is a very very easy to tune motor even with just an SAFC.

I personally think that you should be more concerned about selling the POS KA then VTA thats just my $0.02

It is cheaper in almost everyway to simply by an SR20 then to turbo the KA. Good luck with the build.

Mitch
Old 01-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To Recirculate or not Recirculate?? That is the question. (mr2mitch)

No need to recirculate. I've been using the HKS SSQV on MAF cars for a while with zero issues. Other BOV's I do not have the same luck.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To Recirculate or not Recirculate?? That is the question. (mr2mitch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr2mitch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I personally think that you should be more concerned about selling the POS KA then VTA thats just my $0.02

It is cheaper in almost everyway to simply by an SR20 then to turbo the KA. Good luck with the build.

Mitch </TD></TR></TABLE>

stock for stock, ka's are just as strong if not stronger than an sr, have you seen the size of a ka rod? too get 400whp on a stock sr, you are going to have to change injectors, ic, turbo, piping, wg, etc. all the stuff it took me to turbo the ka, and I have a shorter ka tranny.
But I am doing something different than I have ever done in the past with an A/W ic. The AEM is giving me a lot of options with boost control, traction, and 2-step, antilag. I am an engine calibration engineer, so I wasnt gonna settle for some hacked JWT bullshit.

I'll keep the KA for a couple years, while I do the suspension, etc and set it up for road racing. and perhaps toss in an rb down the line, time will tell.

thanks for the input everyone. I would love to have a MAF, but I really want to do an electronic throttle body setup with a big ol' maf. Maybe next year....
Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr2mitch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally think that you should be more concerned about selling the POS KA then VTA thats just my $0.02

Mitch </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats some ignorant sh*t right there. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:39 PM

I agree. I just sold my ka24 240 sx. The buyer already boosted it stock and it's a beast.