Notices

Why does having a BOV automatically fail emmissions??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does having a BOV automatically fail emmissions??

I've always heard that having a BOV causes you to automatically fail emmissions inspections. Why is that? I mean, nothing has happened to the air at that point, right? All it is in the charge pipe is compressed air from the outside, so you're just letting the same air that got in back out. I understand why external wastegates cause you to fail since you're venting exhaust gas straight out before the cat.

Am I missing something very simple here? This just occured to me and it doesn't make any sense.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Old 11-01-2003, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Why does having a BOV automatically fail emmissions?? (brianSilverTeg)

You fail smog with a BOV because you air venting air back out even though it travels through the charge pipe. In order to pass visual you need to have the bov recirculated back into the intake as you see in all the factory cars sold on the market with turbo.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Why does having a BOV automatically fail emmissions?? (Deluzional)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deluzional &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You fail smog with a BOV because you air venting air back out even though it travels through the charge pipe. In order to pass visual you need to have the bov recirculated back into the intake as you see in all the factory cars sold on the market with turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

never knew that...interesting.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:57 PM

But nothing has happened to their air you're venting, right? I mean, isn't it the same at that point as the air outside the car, just compressed?
Old 11-01-2003, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brianSilverTeg)

Doesn't the edelbrock turbo kit (50 state legal) come with a tial BOV? I don't think that can be recirculated back into the intake.

I could be wrong.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Why does having a BOV automatically fail emmissions?? (brianSilverTeg)

well,if all your emisions are hooked up correctly,you should have the pcv hose routed to the intake air pipe,it contains oil,a bov, at times would be venting this oil to the atmosphere.on a factory set up the oil is vented into the intake pipe and then goes back into the motor.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Why does having a BOV automatically fail emmissions?? (civictypenos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictypenos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well,if all your emisions are hooked up correctly,you should have the pcv hose routed to the intake air pipe,it contains oil,a bov, at times would be venting this oil to the atmosphere.on a factory set up the oil is vented into the intake pipe and then goes back into the motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was unaware of this setup. What's a pcv hose and why does it send some oil into the intake pipe? I don't know where this pcv line is hooked up, but if the BOV were below it, wouldn't that allow you to pass emissions (from a common sense perspective)?

I'm a little confused about how they make this work on factory turbo cars. You're saying that the air escaping through the BOV is then rerouted back into the intake pipe it just came from? Where exactly do they run it to, because this doesn't make sense to me.

I think Blitz makes a BOV that has a little filter on the end of it. Is this there then to catch the oil and such? and does anyone know if this will allow you to pass inspections?

thanks for the help and sorry if this seems stupid.

Brian
Old 11-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's rerouted to the section of intake BEFORE the turbo. It's really important on Mass-air metered cars but on hondas it doesn't matter. The law is just stupid, there is no reason (other than noise) that you should have to reroute it.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open up the hood of a DSM and you'll see what he was talking about....you attach a hose of some sort back into the intake piping on the compressor side of the turbo.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:38 PM

yea but what if you run a catch can, like myself and there isnt any oil going back into the intake charge
Old 11-01-2003, 04:57 PM

I think you fail emissions as BOV that vent into the atmosphere, will cause an overly rich condition on MAF equipped cars (not hondas for example, that rely on MAP reading). This sensor reads XX amount of air, that goes into the atmosphere through the open BOV instead of into the engine when the butterfly closes.

Hope this helps.........