Notices

Q's about tial gate springs, and bov...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's about tial gate springs, and bov...

I am just scratching my head as to what my issue is here and thought someone could shed some light for me.

I started with a greddy bov, shitty i/c, and a tial 38 gate with a small spring, about 7-8 psi, with a manual on it, and car was tuned on chrome. I got the car to go 11.0 @ 129.

I made the switch to neptune for gear based boost control, and while I did that I put on a tial bov, precision 600hp i/c, and redid my piping better. This time we tuned on 110 oct for "hi boost". The car was only on 16-18 psi on pump gas before trapping that mph.

My question is can having too big of a spring cause any issues for control? I ask this b/c on the pump tune it was a small spring in there, and now I am running the small one with a large one. According to tials page it's supposed to be bout 18psi off the gate, which it was. But as far as controller that boost once you up it, could there be any issues? Ever since I did this, it seemed like my spool is later, and the car doesn't wanna hit good boost till waayyyy up top.

I was just wondering if having too much spring in the gate is an issue, and same thing on the bov, b/c I have yet to size the bov one yet. I am gonna throw the little spring back in when weather permits and see how hi i can go with boost. Looking for 30psi out of my 60-1.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Q's about tial gate springs, and bov...

I am pretty sure a stiffer spring/'s would spool the turbo faster because they are not cracking open as early.

Using stiffer springs is no issue, the more boost you run the more backpressure you create which in turn puts more pressure on the bottom of the Wastegate Valve, which aids in opening it.... Thats why we use boost controllers to put pressure back on the top of the valve to keep the valve tighter against the seat which in retun gives you more boost in a nut shell.

Evers setup is different but you should be able to get 30psi with a 15lb spring.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Q's about tial gate springs, and bov...

I got ya, I'm just throwing **** out there now. I'm just lost right now. I put bigger and better things on my car and turn boost up with 110 gas, and now I can't seem get it to trp better than 114, when pump i was doin 129?? Sounds like the tune, but we have gone over time and time again, just haven't had a chance to datalogg to see if it drops off up top or something. When I tuned the car was good, then progressively got slower. I did find a leak @ the turbo, as the bolts on the compressor housing started to back out, which caused the housing to start clocking and leakin air out there. Fixed that, ran good, now its not spinnin 3rd again.

Can a turbo just go bad without leaking or making noise? Maybe it's just out of efficiency, i mean it's the big ar t3 60-1, but I figured we could get 30psi out of her, maybe I'm wrong.

We have the duty cycle on the solenoid @ 100% in 3rd and 4th, and it won't do any more than 24.6psi??

btw-thanks for your responses, u always chime in wit some good info.