Notices

TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help....

I just recently purchased a TIAL BOV, the box states it comes with the 11lbs spring. Well my question is does this mean the BOV will only open when it sees more than 11lbs of boost???? I am planning on my low boost setting to be 7psi, from what i can gather the BOV will never open at that low boost level. That means that i will get compressor surge is that right???? Im used to my HKS SSBOV, it opens when ever i shift gears... will the tial DO the same. My max boost level is going to be 19 to 20 psi. Do i jsut need to change the spring out to a lower psi spring?? I dont want compressor surge to tear up my new SC61 HELP????
Old 06-24-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (fipracing_com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fipracing_com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just recently purchased a TIAL BOV, the box states it comes with the 11lbs spring. Well my question is does this mean the BOV will only open when it sees more than 11lbs of boost???? I am planning on my low boost setting to be 7psi, from what i can gather the BOV will never open at that low boost level. That means that i will get compressor surge is that right???? Im used to my HKS SSBOV, it opens when ever i shift gears... will the tial DO the same. My max boost level is going to be 19 to 20 psi. Do i jsut need to change the spring out to a lower psi spring?? I dont want compressor surge to tear up my new SC61 HELP???? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i going to guess that since you have a 11lbs spring you wont beable to boost lower then 11psi.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (Soon_2b_evil)

yea your gonna need the 7 psi spring
Old 06-24-2004, 06:35 PM

Thats what im afraid of, I dont need to boost 11psi all the time, plus what happens on decel, I guess MAJOR compressor surge on any boost under 11psi... Thats not going to work for me...Compressor Surge = Broken Turbo
Old 06-24-2004, 06:39 PM

if you experience surging with that spring rate, contact tial and they can supply you with a spring rate that will work with your setup.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:40 PM

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (r cleghorn)

WHat spring rate do you reccommend.. This is my daily driver and im looking to boost around 7 on low and 19 to 20 on high

Thanks,

Jay
Old 06-24-2004, 06:57 PM

whatever your spring is thats the lowest you can boost psi wise.
if you have a 7psi spring you cant boost lower then that.
Just like the situation your in, you have a 11lbs spring, so you cant boost lower then 11psi.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are talking about a BOV right? With a spring? SUre you dont mean a Tial wastegate? The bov is held closed by the vacuum line under boost no matter the boost level and released when the throttle body closes and creates positive vacuum.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (30psiCiv)

there is a spring in the Yial BOV's also. The delta between engine vacuum and charge pipe pressure overcomes the spring force and allows the BOV to open.
Honestly, I've ran Tial BOV on everything. And you know what I have always used the std BOV spring. Yes, Tial offers a 7lbs, 11lbs, 13lbs springs (I'm taking a stab at the rates though ).
If you get compressor surge at lower boost levels and it bothers you greatly, change the spring. It is not anymore difficult than changing their WG springs.

I have not had problems yet and do not forsee it. I have taken a lessen from the DSM crowds....just freaking use it instead of internet engineering it. Some stuff on here is discussed and discarded as "not proper" for the dumbest reasons......mostly bandwagoning and such.

Good luck, you will not be dissapointed with the Tial BOV. It is a great part.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Trial User

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (BROOD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BROOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Good luck, you will not be dissapointed with the Tial BOV. It is a great part. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ive heard the same thing about tial BOV.. there great but mostly for high PSI applications.. get a lower spring and you should be fine..
Old 06-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (TurboBumblBee)

We have ran tial bov over 30psi with no leak problems. Here is what I would assume: You are under 20 psi of boost, that is 20psi of downforce on the bov valve coupled with your 7lb spring. SHouldnt that be 27psi of downforce on the valve?
Old 06-26-2004, 07:41 AM

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (30psiCiv)

Sounds good....
-----under boost
20psi in the charge pipes......20psi on top of the Tial diaphram. Add the 7lbs spring.......you would have around 27psi seat pressure on the valve. Now this leaves you with 7lbs to hold the valve shut while under boost.
-----Snap the throttle blade shut which causes the engine to experience vacuum.
20psi in the charge pipes........but this time a vacuum above the Tial diaphram. Add the 7lbs spring into the equation.

7lbs spring (positive) + engine vacuum (negative) &lt; 20 psi charge pipe pressure
Valve opens until the charge pipe pressure is brought below the spring and vacuum forces.
(Leaving out most of the dynamic losses due to the VAC line, fittings, distance from main VAC source, etc.)
Old 07-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (BROOD)

I am having the same problem... bought my bov from someone on the board and forgot what spring it is.. I am getting huge compressor surge... Where(shop) can I get different PSI springs?
Old 07-05-2004, 04:54 PM
MDA
New User

There seems to be a lot of messed up replies in this thread.

You should be fine using the stock spring in that BOV. I have the same one and have run it no problems with as low as 6psi BOOST.

If you're getting compressor surge, perhaps your compressor trim is incorrect.

NOTE: This BOV is much quieter then most that people run due to it's enormous size. Function over form.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (MDA)

Well I emailed Tial and they do have different spring rates for the BOV:

Silver is the standard 11 psi
Black is 7 psi
White is 9 psi

The one I have is bronze/goldish.... I chopped a few coiled off and its working now.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:38 AM
MDA
New User

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (Superesc)

Did you confirm your plumbing first? Where did you hookup the vac/boost line? It should be hooked up after the throttle body plate else you wont make the vac required to open that BOV.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (MDA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There seems to be a lot of messed up replies in this thread.

You should be fine using the stock spring in that BOV. I have the same one and have run it no problems with as low as 6psi BOOST.

If you're getting compressor surge, perhaps your compressor trim is incorrect.

NOTE: This BOV is much quieter then most that people run due to it's enormous size. Function over form. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, I agree. When I ran my 7psi spring, I could boost as low as 3 psi and hear my bov....

I know, back from the dead...I was doing some searching
Old 01-07-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: TIAL BOV Question!!!! Please help.... (02SilverSiHB)

Im running with the 11psi spring and so far so good, After some more research and talking with TIAL, for those car who draw a pretty good vaccum the 11psi spring is their to keep the BOV closed under vaccum. On my car even with the 11psi spring my mainfold pulls some crazy vaccum and it can pull open the BOV slightly. My whole issue was I had been using the HKS SSBOV, and it works totally different than the tial does. So i was a littel confused at first, ALso the TIAL when it released under boost is sound like a DAMN whip cracking, its pretty loud and sounds good.

TIAL BOV
Old 01-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fipracing_com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im running with the 11psi spring and so far so good, After some more research and talking with TIAL, for those car who draw a pretty good vaccum the 11psi spring is their to keep the BOV closed under vaccum. On my car even with the 11psi spring my mainfold pulls some crazy vaccum and it can pull open the BOV slightly. My whole issue was I had been using the HKS SSBOV, and it works totally different than the tial does. So i was a littel confused at first, ALso the TIAL when it released under boost is sound like a DAMN whip cracking, its pretty loud and sounds good.

TIAL BOV </TD></TR></TABLE>
I wouldn't mind trying the 11psi one. The 9 definitely changed the sound of the bov from when I had the 7psi one.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the tial BOV really is awesome!

Tim