Notices

Problem with a friend's Turbo DA tuned with chrome

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with a friend's Turbo DA tuned with chrome

A friend of mine is having some trouble after turbo'ing his car and I wanted to see if I could get any advice as I'm curious to why it's running like such ****. Here's the setup:

XS Power (yes, I know ) turbo manifold, wastegate, intercooler, pipes, the whole 9 yards
t3 .42 trim
3 inch downpipe, custom dumptube (open downpipe)
DSM 450's, Walbro 255, AFPR
street tuned on chrome.

Basically, the car runs like complete crap. The guy that has been tuning it has been having some big problems tuning it lately but he finally got the boost to set and they tuned it to 12 psi. We went out and messed around with my brother and friend's cars and he couldn't hardly pull on a b16 EF with i/h/e. I expected a lot more out of the car. So I go for a ride in it and it definately doesn't feel right.

We start rolling and he floors it at about 2k. It feels like the engine is loading and the turbo starts spooling a little but until 3k it has nothing. From 3k- 5k the car torque steers and comes alive, but still doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. Then it's puke and die from 5k on.

It's almost like the timing is retarded so bad that the engine isn't even at full song when he has the throttle 100%, nor does it even sound like he's going full on when it's floored. It hasn't been to a dyno yet so I don't actually know how much power it's putting down.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I want to say I'm confident in the tuner since he owns a 400+hp LS/Vtec crx and he did an awesome job tuning my brother's h22 coupe with chrome but this car just doesn't feel right.

Any help appreciated!

cliffs: turbo ls DA feels like engine is loading but makes no power even on 15 psi. was twice as fast on 8 psi. puke and die before 3k and after 5k.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Problem with a friend's Turbo DA tuned with chrome (2LiterTurboSeR)

hmm i got a jdm gsr swapped turbo'ed DA. its also tuned wtih crome on a p28ecu. mine is runnin real nice i'd recommend getting a wideband air fuel guage. i have one and love it i can tell exaclty what my motor is doing. you need to know what kinda air fuel ratio ur running, it can be ur problem. also check ur spark plugs, im runnin ngk bkr7e's with a .027" gap and they are good. if u say it runs stronger on 8 psi than higher maybe ur runnin too lean on higher boost. try turning it down even lower than 8psi and if it runs better than it could very well be ur air fuel ratio, but yet again it could be ur timing or alot of other things. hope this helps bye
Old 03-17-2006, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Problem with a friend's Turbo DA tuned with chrome (92gsrteg)

make sure you vTak is coming on. i know these cars definitly fall on their face without it.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with a friend's Turbo DA tuned with chrome (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure you vTak is coming on. i know these cars definitly fall on their face without it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You betcha man, mad tyte 6 year top speed runs and all that.

Back to a serious note though.

The guy who tuned the car performed a timing belt job before the last tuning session, and according to him the distributor, cam gears and engine timing were all set to factory specs before they began tuning. He says that there is literally nothing else he can do to make the car run any different.

We got some footage of him racing my brother's h22 civic and a b16 EF hatch so I'll see if I can post them up so someone can get an idea.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the car run smooth @ idle ?? or is it kinda choppy ??
Old 03-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with a friend's Turbo DA tuned with chrome (Dturbocivic)

smoothe idle, no misfiring or anything.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its tuned with "chrome" then you got major problems.