Notices

PLX, RomEditor, Voltage....oh my

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PLX, RomEditor, Voltage....oh my

<FONT COLOR="red">UPDATE at BOTTOM in RED</FONT> <FONT COLOR="blue">Found Solution at bottom of page.</FONT>

Issues:

At Idle:
PLX reading: 13.5:1
RomEditor: 13.5:1
Voltage: 1.70 volts

Accelerating:
PLX reading: 13.6:1
RomEditor: 13.0:1
Voltage: 1.45 volts

Cruising:
PLX reading: 14.4:1
RomEditor: 13.4:1
Voltage: 1.65 volts

It makes sense that the RomEditor matches the voltage as the Hondata gets its input from the PLX. I have the correction value on the PLX setting and have also tried 9.995 / 19.995 as well as numerous other values. I have done all the checks on the PLX. Car off, key on, voltage is at 2.35 volts for 14.7:1. O2 removed, voltage goes to 5 volts and AIR/Lean on the controller. I have the power(Red wire on the PLX) wired into the IGP2(B1 OBD1 side) on the harness that I built and have tried the Ground to both the PG2(A24 OBD1 side) and also a chassis ground. I have tried zero, 1 and two capacitors inline with the ground and white wire. I have the white wire installed on the PHOS(D14 OBD1 side) on the harness. I can lean out the car to 15.5 while cruising momentarily and the car will start to hesitate and confirm what the PLX display is reading, but the Romeditor will still read around 13.6-14.1:1 and the voltage will match that. This is throwing my recorded lambda values way off and I really don't want to trust them. Any help you can bring will be good. Thanks!!!

Jason

Modified by Blown90hatcH at 10:05 AM 9/8/2004

Modified by Blown90hatcH at 1:29 PM 9/10/2004

Modified by Blown90hatcH at 1:29 PM 9/10/2004
Old 09-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: PLX, RomEditor, Voltage....oh my (Blown90hatcH)

Wow, you've tried just about everything there. I've had my PLX wired both the same as what you have, and off of the cig lighter for portable tuning, and havnt had that problem. Adjusting to 0v-9.5 and 5v-19.5 in Romeditor is what mine likes. Hell, I dont even have caps in. If you do figure it out, be sure to post up. Sounds like the only thing you havnt tried is pulling power from another source.
Good luck.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PLX, RomEditor, Voltage....oh my (leed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, you've tried just about everything there. I've had my PLX wired both the same as what you have, and off of the cig lighter for portable tuning, and havnt had that problem. Adjusting to 0v-9.5 and 5v-19.5 in Romeditor is what mine likes. Hell, I dont even have caps in. If you do figure it out, be sure to post up. Sounds like the only thing you havnt tried is pulling power from another source.
Good luck.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I can try that....but something is wack to have it good at idle, but off all the other times.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn jason sounds like you are having some issues bro, i havemine run off the cigarette lighter so its portable between the coupe and the hatch, try that

this is mike from plant city
Old 09-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What ground are you using? (What PIN on the harness?) This is important.

Also, these devices are VERY sensitive so if the car has shitty wiring, this is the most likely cause.

Have you tried measuring the voltage at the ECU pins? (D14 and D22 I think)?

Old 09-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PLX, RomEditor, Voltage....oh my (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What ground are you using? (What PIN on the harness?) This is important.
Also, these devices are VERY sensitive so if the car has shitty wiring, this is the most likely cause.
Have you tried measuring the voltage at the ECU pins? (D14 and D22 I think)?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

D22 is the sensor ground for the O2 sensor. D14 is the O2 input signal. I am measuring voltage on the white wire, which is ultimately wired to D14. As I stated above, I have the ground on PG2 and have also tried it on the chassis directly.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

D22 is the sensor ground for the O2 sensor. D14 is the O2 input signal. I am measuring voltage on the white wire, which is ultimately wired to D14. As I stated above, I have the ground on PG2 and have also tried it on the chassis directly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Use the sensor ground. This is what is recommended if I remember correctly. I know I am using it and mine is dead on.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Use the sensor ground. This is what is recommended if I remember correctly. I know I am using it and mine is dead on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, Doug recommended it today, but I installed it to how the PLX guy said to. I will try the sensor ground today.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, Doug recommended it today, but I installed it to how the PLX guy said to. I will try the sensor ground today.

Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck!
I feel special if said what Doug recommended.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any luck w/ it yet?
Old 09-08-2004, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use the sensor ground. This is what is recommended if I remember correctly. I know I am using it and mine is dead on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any luck w/ it yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. I tried it and everything is still wack.

<FONT COLOR="red">UPDATE: I went ahead and installed this into my stock 96 civic and made a basemap for my Hondata. I drove it around and everything is working properly. So I went back to my pos and started disconnecting things. I removed my alarm.....No change. WTF is going on with this pos. I am going to remove the engine harness and completely redo it. Would this have anything to do with the O2 sensor and heater being disabled in Hondata? </FONT>
Old 09-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<FONT COLOR="red">UPDATE: I went ahead and installed this into my stock 96 civic and made a basemap for my Hondata. I drove it around and everything is working properly. So I went back to my pos and started disconnecting things. I removed my alarm.....No change. WTF is going on with this pos. I am going to remove the engine harness and completely redo it. Would this have anything to do with the O2 sensor and heater being disabled in Hondata? </FONT> </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you using the stock O2 sensor and the wideband? When tuning in Open loop, and not having the O2 sensor plugged in, the heater must be disabled to avoid a CEL, that is all. It wouldn't cause any harm even if the CEL cam on, just a nuisance.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried open loop, closed loop, O2 heater disabled....this thing is really starting to **** me off. What would cause that voltage output that the Hondata is reading to be off? I am just short of taking my entire engine harness out and confirming everthing is good.....but thats a pain in the a$$.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tried open loop, closed loop, O2 heater disabled....this thing is really starting to **** me off. What would cause that voltage output that the Hondata is reading to be off? I am just short of taking my entire engine harness out and confirming everthing is good.....but thats a pain in the a$$.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, this may be the only thing you can at this point since it works fine in another car and it sounds as though you have tried everything

Did you install the capacitors like it says by PLX?.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Did you install the capacitors like it says by PLX?. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, they are in there. I am going to take the harness off now. I am just stumped.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am just stumped. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Me too. Keep us updated.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt go through all that trouble to pull apart everything.....its nice to have datalogging features. but its not absolutely needed.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PLX, RomEditor, Voltage....oh my (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt go through all that trouble to pull apart everything.....its nice to have datalogging features. but its not absolutely needed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Urrr. Gay...lol.

<FONT COLOR="blue">I figured it out. The original O2 sensor was still installed in the car and the PLX was wired into the harness as it is supposed to. Well after rewiring the engine harness, I decided to leave the stock O2 sensor unplugged. What do you know....the thing works perfectly. I took a known working O2 sensor and installed it and plugged it in...worked perfectly. I took the original O2 sensor and tested it to the service manual....turns out the stock O2 is bad.

Final answer: stock O2 sensor was bad. Thanks for your help.</FONT>
Old 09-10-2004, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the update. Although i have no need for this information, it is really helpful when someone actually posts the solution to the problem after they get it sorted out
Old 09-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PLX, RomEditor, Voltage....oh my (rioninja)

what a novel concept eh... sharing information. Even if he is a Hondata user, I hope he comes and says hi on PGMFI.