Notices

Oil return backing up *searched plenty on this* new issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil return backing up *searched plenty on this* new issues.....

I've turboed my d series last year, had issues with too big of a feed line. Put on a 3an line, and eventually fixed my issue. At the end of last year i started smoking out the exhaust again. This winter rebuilt motor. Still a 3an line, but i'm backing up, and leaking oil out of my return flange. I put in a restrictor that you adjust, and also a clear return line so i can watch my oil. I am running a canton racing pan, so the return is in the bottom of the pan So, when i first start it up, its fine, no issues, then slowly starts backing up, and it doesn't matter what i do. If i turn off the restrictor all the way, it still is backing up.

I'm lost, my dad said it sounds like its creating a vacuum which it could be.....

http://www.majesticturbo.com/inside.html

Thats my turbo basically, and it uses air differentials to create a seal, am i making a vacuum from that. Maybe because the return line is stuck in oil. Right now the return line is perfect, nice gradual bend, if i bring it up higher in the pan, i'd have to make a sharp bend, but maybe thats my only answer. I know theres people who run return lines to the bottom, just wondering if they have different turbos, or if that even matters.

Also, i put in a new center section, so its done it with two now.

Any ideas??
Old 04-09-2006, 06:43 PM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a t3 i rebuilt, and my drain line is at the bottom of the pan.

basically i think you just need enough line above the oil level for it to not back up (shouldnt need much, mine isnt much , my turbo sits really low)
Old 04-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

Thats the thing. I have i'd say 4-6 inches. And when it first starts its fine, drains great, only oil in the line is whats coming from the turbo. Then you can slowly watch it fill up, and before you know it, its all the way up to the turbo. Even if i shut off the feed line, it still won't go back down.... i'm gonna try a couple of things out here in a few minutes, see what happens.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coneheadsracing)

The problem appears to be crank case pressure. When i pull my dipstick up some it allows for a good enough drain.

I have the little black box on the back of the motor, D - series, from there the check valve, and some line, which t's to another line from the valve cover, which then i run that down to my intake before my turbo. Check valve is in proper working order, it wouldn't be boosting it, being before the turbo, should be the same as stock... If i rev up the engine it drains a little better, i'm guessing since i'm making a vacuum. Anyone know how i can allow for more of a pressure relief at idle? Besides leaving the dipstick up some

I need to get some miles on this car, one month til a track day....
Old 04-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (coneheadsracing)

Endyn Crank Case breather.

aka....Catch Can. Do some research.

I run the endyn system AND two -12 fittings from the valvecover to a second catch can.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

its looking like i'll do that, i just figured since i was running the line up in front of my turbo, it'd work like it was supposed to... oh well.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:34 PM

was your crankcase evac. stock still?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek_chris)

not fully. I am not running the lines to the intake manifold anymore, i run them down in front of the turbo, i have a small intake on there.