Notices

oil leak...return line the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil leak...return line the problem?

Last month got my car back after having a local shop finish up my build and tuning. Drove the car around for a few days and noticed that i have an oil leak. i did some research and saw that i may need an oil restrictor. so i ordered a 0.065 restrictor from ATP Turbo. went and have it installed and noticed that it leaked considerably less, but it's still leaking. it's still coming from the return line and after doing some more research there's a chance that how the return line was ran. Here are some pics:

looking up at it

view from the drivers side looking at it

and my messy downpipe

if how the return line is ok, then what else can it be? the turbo is brand new, well was. oil's blowing up into the engine bay when i drive and i have to put in half a quart of oil a week.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: oil leak...return line the problem?

Bring it by the shop and let me look at it. Last time you brought it by, it looked as if more than the return line was leaking. Oil was all over the pan and everything else. One leak seemed to be the fitting in the oil pan itself (work we didn't provide on the install). However that doesn't explain oil on the downpipe. Oil is leaking from the center section or intake side of that turbo for that to happen.

Just my personal opinion.. If you would have let us tap your original oil pan instead of installing one that had already been tapped, the return wouldn't have been placed where it is now. The fitting in the pan would be better off placed towards the transmission side, straight under the turbo. We worked with what we were given, and the way it sets now should be fine, however i personally don't like how close it is to the downpipe. Hence the reason Steve put a heat wrap type of cloth around the return line.

Anyway bring it by and i will gladly help you figure it out.

Also in situations like this why not just pick up the phone and call either me or Steve instead of posting it on every honda web forum and your facebook. If its a mistake we made, we will gladly fess up to it and fix it.... No hard feelings Adrian, but your forgetting im all over the interweb too
Old 01-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Touching My Member

lulz

for James. Oily engines bays ssssssssssssssssuck!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

J. Mills I dont believe the OP was trying to bash your shop by any means or blame you for the leak. I took it as he was just asking for help to find a solution.

To the OP, what size feed line are you using? If i were you I would spray the engine off with engine degreaser and wipe it down with a old towel. Drive up the road about a mile and come back and see where exactly the leak is coming from.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Track Advocate

Originally Posted by J. Mills
Also in situations like this why not just pick up the phone and call either me or Steve instead of posting it on every honda web forum and your facebook. If its a mistake we made, we will gladly fess up to it and fix it.... No hard feelings Adrian, but your forgetting im all over the interweb too
I plan on bringing it by, but if it’s a problem I can point out before I bring it up there, then it’ll be easier all around. Besides, it’d be good if it’s something I can fix myself, hence the reason for this thread. And I wasn’t going to call the shop over the holidays. But I’ll bring it by this weekend along with another oil pan.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Track Advocate

Originally Posted by blwn95civic
To the OP, what size feed line are you using? If i were you I would spray the engine off with engine degreaser and wipe it down with a old towel. Drive up the road about a mile and come back and see where exactly the leak is coming from.
it's a -3 line. i'll do that and see if i can pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. i placed a piece of cardboard under the car after driving and it didn't exactly help.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive had an oil leak before that would leave a nickel spot over night, never really worried about it. After a week of driving the whole undercarriage of my car and engine was covered in oil lol took me forever to find out where it was coming from.

I second the vote on changing out the oil pan... that drain line is tooo close to the exhaust.