Notices

Need some advise from some friends on if i should go back to NA.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advise from some friends on if i should go back to NA.

For the last 4 years I have been running a b18b1 stock with a td0518g at 10psi.

I had a guy tune it in NY before i moved to NC. It runs ok. I never really wanted it to be amazingly fast.... just quick and reliable. The car is a 2000 ls so obd2 has been a pain in the ***. Are most of your cars ob1????? Every year i have to change the o2 sensor , fuel injectors, and computer, drive 100 miles and try and pass my state inspection. Currently this year i am thowing a evap system leak code..... and i was just thinking that this **** is getting old.....

I would like to ask for peoples advise on a couple things.

1. Should I just dump the ls and put a jdm b18c typr r motor in there and call it a day. Everything will be stock???? Will the thrill of that motor come even close to the turbo setup i have.

2. turbo or Na is it even worth building a motor for a obd2 year car????

3. When you build a motor install sleeves, different pistons with different compression ratios and other internal components that you cannont simply take out. How do you get your car to pass inspections when its a obd2 car. I mean i would assume for an example if you change your compression than the car will never be able to run on a stock tune....

I am just trying to figure out what the next step should be. I love the car and the turbo deal. However its alittle bit of a pain in the butt sometimes knowing if you are a ways from home and something breaks you cant just bring it to the shop down the street.... I just wondering if i should go further and invest more money and time into this year chasis or if i am going to build a motor bulletproof for FI I would be better off obtaining a 1995 or older car to put it in. Maybe I have been missing something all these years. LOL
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need some advise from some friends on if i should go back to NA.

Wtf.. Get a chipped computer and a tune. Instant obd1 converted no o2 sensor even needed at all just a wideband. Someone messed with u.

Get an obd1 ecu a jumper harness and a tune on chrome or what ever lol.

Very weird
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the jumper harness and obd1 ecu wont let you pass the inspection. I am sure they hook up the obd2
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you could run OBD1 conversion and put the car back to stock comes inspection time.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How is the car currently tuned?

Passing the obd2 scanner inspection is as easy as tossing the stock ECU and injectors back in and since your turbo is internally wastegated you can pull the wastegate off the flapper arm... don't drive like am *** and you won't get into boost and your car will pass the readiness checks.

As far as the rear o2, I'm assuming you're not using a cat..so the simplest way is o run an o2 fouler which won't cause the mil light to come on... you can buy them from any local auto parts store cheap... they normally come in packages of two... take one and drill it out to fit the o2 sensor then install the unmodified one between the test pipe and o2 sensor with the drilled out one... this will confuse the o2 sensor into seeing a different (leaner) air fuel reading then the primary so the stock ecu will think it has a cat on it.. or you can buy an o2 simulator off of eBay but they are more expensive... just plug it in and go
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the car currently runs off a obd 1 computer and was tuned about 5 years ago on chrome. My tuner sodered the socket and all on the obd 1 computer so that the tune can be flashed into the ecu. The car has run great for the last 5 years. However it is on stock internals and is limited. I had the car tuned in NY where i used to live 4 years ago I moved to NC and never re tuned it. So Its running rich and only gets about 220hp to the wheels. I kinda just never got it tuned up here. Every year here in NC to pass emissions they have to plug into the obd 2 port which means that I need to pull the obd1 computer and plug the original stock obd 2 computer in, change out my 550 injectors for the stock ones, install my secondary o2 sensor which i run a o2 simulato with. I then run the car driving nicely and not boosting for about 100 miles cross my fingers that the check engine light will not come on and take it to the shop to pass inspection. I have sucessfully passed the inspection for the last 5 years. I guess my question is for the people who are running these crazy turbo charged motors with upgraded internal parts. Are they doing this in obd2 hondas? If so how are they passing emissions every year? Not being into the scene for a couple years is there a better way that guys are doing this now days? or are people like me having to jerk around switching things out every year to pass emissions. What happens if i decide that its worth it to build my obd2 integra for better boost application. ( ex lower compression pistons and head work.) guys is it worth it to put the money into and build a obd2 year car???? and if so how do internal parts like these change passing emissions? will the car run on its original stock tune with different aftermarket internal parts. please explain this as simple as possible or please direct me to some older posts on these subjects. Im on the edge of wondering if I should continue building this car. get a older car to build , or just put one of the original motors in it perferably the b18c5 if i can find one. thank you for all of your help and advise.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Call Blueridge Motorsports (828) 322-9600 They Are In NC They Can Help You Out