Notices

rebuilt motor running sluggish! whats going on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt motor running sluggish! whats going on?

sup guys,
i just had my turbo b18b1 rebuilt with wiseco pistons and scat rods. got it all back together and all and took it out and the motor seems sluggish. it seems underpowered. since im breaking in the motor,i can only rev the motor to about 3,but anything to that seems hesitent in power then before i rebuilt the motor. so i checked the timing,see if im getting spark,compression and everything came back to be good. so now im starting to think,do i need a tune? i mean i know i need to tune it,but the compression ratio of these pistons are the same as stock (9.2:1) so even if i needed a tune,i wouldnt see why out of boost,or just driving around town the motor seems so underpowered,like hesitant.any ideas guys?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:23 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: rebuilt motor running sluggish! whats going on? (SpoolnByYou)

stock ecu?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:45 AM

Default Re: rebuilt motor running sluggish! whats going on? (Muckman)

no,i have uberdata.

the car was throwing 2 codes,the o2 sensor (b/c right now i dont have one,need to wire in a 4-wire,havent had one in awhile and car still ran fine) and an injector code. so i re-spliced the injectors and the coed went away,so the only code it throws now is the 02 sensor.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats probably why it is running sluggish because it is throwing that O2 code. Why not disable O2 in uberdata?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rebuilt motor running sluggish! whats going on? (Pullig)

When my friend has his 13 to 1 All motor LS/vtec built, it ran really sluggish.I told him the builder probably didnt take into consideration the expantion of the forged pistons, being that its more than the stockers.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: rebuilt motor running sluggish! whats going on? (93supercoupe)

i doubt its the 02 sensor b/c ive had my car turboed like 3 or 4 times before,and since february of last year with no 02 sensor and no problems,so i strongly doubt its the 02 sensor.

what would the expansion of the foged pistons have to do with it,explain.

thanks guys
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well im kind of retarted anyways, but do you think maybe the motor isnt fully broke in yet an rings didnt seat yet? Did you do the install your self or take it to a shop?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: (IGotVTECyo)

i work at a shop and me and a mechanic there did the rebuild.

i doubt that it would be the rings not seated yet,atleast to this extent. trust me if you drove the car you would know osmething else was wrong,not the rings being set.

anyways,some updates. the car seems to backfire alot more now,especially when i shift,which makes me think again its the tuning. but then again i kind of doubt that its a tuning issue,seeing that im not hitting boost,only revving to like 3 grand,and the car is extremly sluggish. sometimes when i go to take off ill give it gas and let off the clutch,but its like the car doesnt have enough power and it will act like it wants to die. and also sometimes,ill give it gas and it will sound like its drowning itself out. WTF!

and just to add,now after my rebuild boost comes in ALOT sooner. i have a garrett t3/t04e 57 trim. the turbos not a massive turbo,but its a good size. before boost would come in full at about 3,8-4,3....now i can reach full boost (10psi for now) at like 2,8-3 grand! and thats not even full throttle! seems odd that the pistons i have are the same comp. ratio as my stock LS's
Old 12-28-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: (SpoolnByYou)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I told him the builder probably didnt take into consideration the expantion of the forged pistons, being that its more than the stockers.</TD></TR></TABLE> I have to agree they might be expanding
Old 12-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After you put the head on the block did you re-adjust the valves?
Are you sure the timing belt marks are all ligned up (cam gear/ crank)?
Did you put in larger injectors with no tuning and/or are you trying to run on a "base map?"
Just a few possibilities...
Old 12-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace spark plugs
check timing
retune.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (dunkd)

do you have a wideband? it almost sounds like its too rich down low. uberdata basemaps arent the most consistant from what ive found, and even driving around in vacuum can need tuning. i broke mine in on a stock ecu with stock injectors. i had the snail on, but didnt punch it so i never made boost. check the a/f, then as dunkd said, the plugs and timing too
Old 12-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i broke mine in on a stock ecu with stock injectors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i broke mine in with at most 30 miles driving around then to the dyno and full boost... break-in is not ur problem.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:52 AM

Valve timing could be the answer. Check its not 1 tooth out.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:12 AM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (crispydee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have a wideband? it almost sounds like its too rich down low. uberdata basemaps arent the most consistant from what ive found, and even driving around in vacuum can need tuning. i broke mine in on a stock ecu with stock injectors. i had the snail on, but didnt punch it so i never made boost. check the a/f, then as dunkd said, the plugs and timing too</TD></TR></TABLE>

2nd
Old 12-29-2005, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dunkd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i broke mine in with at most 30 miles driving around then to the dyno and full boost... break-in is not ur problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true. i guess i was trying to say that sometimes the basemaps fuel ratios arent perfect.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: (blackeg)

no,im not running a basemap. im running the map that ive had on my car for awhile thats tuned for 10 pounds. so no basemap.

about the pistons expanding,so what are you saying? the pistons are expanding,and pressing against the cylinder walls? and what am i supposed to do about it? nothing? and what damage,or whatever can it cause?

as far as timing. we checked timing with a gun (light) and it looked to be all good. seemed to be on. then we changed the distributor cap,and new plugs.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:03 AM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnByYou &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no,im not running a basemap. im running the map that ive had on my car for awhile thats tuned for 10 pounds. so no basemap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you're running on the same tune from before the rebuild???

If so, a re-tune should be your first priority
Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: (Vt4cPwn35)

well,it is. trust me. but im saying i know i need a retune...but even without one,when im just driving around,not in boost,the car should act like stock,or as it did before.correct?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is your O2 Sensor code. Fix that. What are your datalogs telling you. What is AFR at idle, midrange. What is your timing juxtaposed to your AFR's. If the car is spooling up much quicker now you could have really, really retarded timing- That would make it feel terrible from idle -3000 rpms like you said your driving it.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: (asubennett)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as far as timing. we checked timing with a gun (light) and it looked to be all good. seemed to be on. then we changed the distributor cap,and new plugs.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No i mean valve timing not ignition timing. This would explain the lack of power and the popping
Old 12-29-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: (crispydee)

i strongly strongly doubt its the 02 sensor code making the car run like this. like i said before ive had the car turboed for a while now without an 02 sensor,and the car ran perfect,no problems. so i dont see why all of a sudden it would pose a problem like this.

but about the timing,i checked the marks and it looks like its timed right. when cylinder 1 is at TDC,both cam sproket arrows are pointed up.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When my friend has his 13 to 1 All motor LS/vtec built, it ran really sluggish.I told him the builder probably didnt take into consideration the expantion of the forged pistons, being that its more than the stockers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnByYou &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i doubt its the 02 sensor b/c ive had my car turboed like 3 or 4 times before,and since february of last year with no 02 sensor and no problems,so i strongly doubt its the 02 sensor.

what would the expansion of the foged pistons have to do with it,explain.

thanks guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

when your engine heats up the forged pistons expand at a greater and farther than your clyinders. This means if yu dont have the proper piston 2 wall clearance your pistons will try to cease against the wall due to the improper clearance.

2 way's to fix this problem.

1- take engine apart and hone to proper clearances
2- heat cycle the engine until it free's up would prolly take 500 miles
Old 12-29-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: rebuilt motor running sluggish! whats going on? (Importordomestic)

so how do i "heat cycle" the motor? are you saying just take it easy for 500 or so miles and it will clear up? thats IF im having piston to wall issues.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How does the motor sound at idle and just overall?
Does it rev smoothly?
Have you done a compression test?
Valve adjustment?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnByYou &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but about the timing,i checked the marks and it looks like its timed right. when cylinder 1 is at TDC,both cam sproket arrows are pointed up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to line up the little marks on the outside of the cam gears, so they are facing eachother, hopefully you already know this.

Quick Reply: rebuilt motor running sluggish! whats going on?