Notices

Anyone beat up on stock motors and replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone beat up on stock motors and replace?

I've invested atleast 8k into the performance of this turbo Integra, and I'm starting to think in more economical terms while still enjoying a fast car. A lot of members here get into building motors with pistons, rods, sleeves, and valevetrain upgrades, but I think that's gonna be too much of an expense. Sleeving is a $1000, plus pistons and rods are going to be 750 atleast, plus who knows for the labor involved in putting this together.

My motor is pretty worn; a year ago cylinder #1 had a 35% leakdown. I'm sure it's worse now. I'm thinking eventually this motor will completely blow and I'm faced with what to replace it with.

Basically, my goals are to have a car with 250-300whp for the least amount of money over the long term (next 5-8 years). I figure I can buy a used LS motor for about $500-700 and pay someone about $500 to install it. I could easily cut this total in half by learning to install it myself, but I don't have the tools or space to do this yet. This new (used) LS motor should last me another 2 years at 12 psi (250-300whp), tuned conservatively with Hondata.

Is anyone else in this boat of avoiding the big cost of dropping in a built motor, and instead running high boost on stock motors and replacing them as they blow?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone beat up on stock motors and replace? (Teg4e)

just find yourself a nice used built bottom end....
Old 04-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone beat up on stock motors and replace? (Mase)

I'm mainly attracted to used LS motors b/c they're so cheap and available. A built bottom end will certainly cost more, but also last longer. Since I only really want <300whp, isn't it smarter to run stock engines?

I think after 300whp, the fwd Honda starts to run into problems that increasing amounts of money are needed solve: Traction becomes an issue in 2nd and 3rd gears. An LSD and slicks/DR's solve the problem, but a quaife runs about $800 and slicks/DR's are not feasible for daily driving. DR's are run on the street, but wear out in 1/2 to 1 year's time.

All other variables held constant, how much longer should a built LS motor last at say 275whp, compared to a stock one? Assume a good, conservative tune, spirited driving with occasional 1/4 runs, and good maintainence.

I'm not asking for a definite answer, as we all know a tuned motor can blow on its first run while a buddy runs 15psi with an FMU and stock injector setup all day. I just want to start a discussion on longevity and long-term financial feasibility of high-hp in the stock motor.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Skip the sleeving and just do some Eagle rods and CP pistons... it won't break the bank and you can safely make 400hp on the setup..
Old 04-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone beat up on stock motors and replace? (HybridKOOP)

what do you think the total cost of piston/rod installation would be? I would also have to add in the cost of a bare block, b/c I need my car on a daily basis.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

about a $1000.00 plus labor, unless your doing it yourself. Have some extra money for the "While I'm in their, I might as well replace this and that" bs that adds up and funds decrease .
Old 04-27-2004, 02:50 PM

I know exactly how you feel, the other day I was adding up the cost of building a semi built block, and I was like "I can buy like 10 Ls blocks for this much $$"

I dont know it's up to you, as far as your goals, you dont need a built motor to make that power, so I would just replace it with stock.

I'm with you though, I dont realy see the point of all these 400-500 hp cars, Once you reach that point its just entirely to much $$$. I'd rather spend the $$ on a house, or invest it before trying to build some supercar that wont even get traction until 4th gear

Find you a fresh Ls block with low miles
Old 04-27-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is a 98, so it cant have that many miles on it. If it were mine,
id just spend $200~ for a new set of rings and some arp headstuds.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone beat up on stock motors and replace? (rioninja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rioninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your car is a 98, so it cant have that many miles on it. If it were mine,
id just spend $200~ for a new set of rings and some arp headstuds. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, it only has ~70,000 miles on it, 20k of them boosted. Wouldn't the labor paid to install those new rings make it a better idea to just get another used LS block? An LS shortblock with say 50k can't cost more than $500.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:03 PM

Are you serious?
I would deff keep the motor you have now and just do a regular rebuild. You can just replace the piston rings and hone the cylindar wall a little but if you want it mint mint. I would change all the main bearings and pistons and rods to factory or something cheap. How much horsepower you pushing and for how long?

Your always taking a chance buying a used motor.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone beat up on stock motors and replace? (InfamousGSR)

true, but the engine sellers perform the basic tests like compression.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:35 PM

i have stock LS motor boosted. when it blows i'm going to replace it with another stock LS. i do my own labor, LS motor =$500 .. can't beat that!!
Old 04-27-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teg4e &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, it only has ~70,000 miles on it, 20k of them boosted. Wouldn't the labor paid to install those new rings make it a better idea to just get another used LS block? An LS shortblock with say 50k can't cost more than $500. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, because you should do it yourself. Pick up a manual, a decent torque wrench,
and a ring compressor. This is a great oportunity to start learning about your car
and how it really works. If you can follow directions in a manual, and operate basic
hand tools, you'll be fine. The most important aspect is the torque wrench. Buy
one and learn how to use it. You'll be glad you did.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone beat up on stock motors and replace? (rioninja)

i've got one... no engine lift, though. Also, this is my daily driver, and I don't have much room for down-time.