Notices

b18b1 build for more power.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18b1 build for more power.

been running 10 psi on stock internals in my 2000 b18b integra. I am looking to build the motor to make about 350 whp as reliable as possible. This is not a daily driver. However I do drive it alot. I have some questions I was wondering if some people can answer for me , or at least point me in the right direction by use of posted links that could help me.

First is it worth bulding a motor for a obd2 car??? I live in the state of NC. We have emission testing here. currently every year to pass inspection I switch out my 550 fuel injectors to stock ones and switch my obd1 tuned computer with the original stock computer. I then drive the car without boosting for 50 miles and pass the inspection. we do not have sniff testing here. Only obd2 plug in.

Next question. If it is worth building a motor for boost on a obd2 car. Can you pass emission inspection when you start changing internal parts such as cams and pistons, sleaves and overbore work???

how do you get a car to run without a check engine light when you change internal parts so that you can pass an inspection. is it possible? will the car run like crap? Or is there a way of tunning these obd2 cars so that the car will run correctly on a tune that will pass an emissions test..... I have been out of the scene for about 5 years. Im sure there are many things that have come out that is the trend these days. thank you for any advice you people can give me....
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: b18b1 build for more power.

Damn. Overthinking it and going on crazy misinformation. You'll have to do the same thing you're doing now when it comes to emissions/inspections after the engine is built. Why would a built engine throw a CEL? Quantify "worth it". And I'm not even going to mention you haven't listed one part of your CURRENT build. And what do you need sleeves for only 350hp? What EMS are you even using?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as the car will run with the stock ECU and injectors and not throw a code you're fine. We have the same thing in Georgia

Another trick to not get into boost while on the stock ECU is to pull the spring out of the wastegate.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Damn. Overthinking it and going on crazy misinformation. You'll have to do the same thing you're doing now when it comes to emissions/inspections after the engine is built. Why would a built engine throw a CEL? Quantify "worth it". And I'm not even going to mention you haven't listed one part of your CURRENT build. And what do you need sleeves for only 350hp? What EMS are you even using?
I have walbro fuel pump, 550 rc injectors,garrett tdo5 18g turbo, front mount intercooler, obd 1 conversion harness with obd 1 ecu chipped, tuned on chrome 6 years ago! lol. golden eagle vacume block. intenal wastegate, greddy type s bov. stock b18b block and head. Running on 10 psi.

I was not aware that i do not need to sleeve the cylinders to make 350 whp. I would like this build to be bulletproof. I have heard of cylinders cracking at more than 10 psi... What is the best way to attain 350 whp as reliable as possible???? Also what do you think about the tdo5 18g???
Old 01-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 90210tegrunner
I have walbro fuel pump, 550 rc injectors,garrett tdo5 18g turbo, front mount intercooler, obd 1 conversion harness with obd 1 ecu chipped, tuned on chrome 6 years ago! lol. golden eagle vacume block. intenal wastegate, greddy type s bov. stock b18b block and head. Running on 10 psi.

1. I was not aware that i do not need to sleeve the cylinders to make 350 whp.
2. I would like this build to be bulletproof.
3. I have heard of cylinders cracking at more than 10 psi...
4. What is the best way to attain 350 whp as reliable as possible????
5. Also what do you think about the tdo5 18g???
1. This is of course assuming that the tune is done well and the engine is in good mechanical order

2. Then be prepared to spend good money on tuning, the right components, the right assembly. You skimp on any part of that because you "don't have the money right now", then don't bother starting this at all

3. That's because you're basing things on "PSI" of pressure which is a huge NO NO when attempting to get this done. 10psi from a 14B and 10psi from a GT42R have different airflow rates.

4. See comment #2

5. Can do 350whp, but you need to change internal wastegates to the higher actuator of a GT2860RS, (or convert to an external wastegate) port the turbine housing. There's a lot to do to make a 350whp from 41lbs/min. So see what other equipment you have to determine whether or not it is " worth it" to do..
I will say it is tougher to do it with a B18B1 with that turbo than something else in the 48lbs/min-50lbs/min range
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never seen a Garrett 18g, maybe because it doesn't exist lol?

Post pictures of the turbo because it's definitely not a Garrett unit
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
1. This is of course assuming that the tune is done well and the engine is in good mechanical order

2. Then be prepared to spend good money on tuning, the right components, the right assembly. You skimp on any part of that because you "don't have the money right now", then don't bother starting this at all

3. That's because you're basing things on "PSI" of pressure which is a huge NO NO when attempting to get this done. 10psi from a 14B and 10psi from a GT42R have different airflow rates.

4. See comment #2

5. Can do 350whp, but you need to change internal wastegates to the higher actuator of a GT2860RS, (or convert to an external wastegate) port the turbine housing. There's a lot to do to make a 350whp from 41lbs/min. So see what other equipment you have to determine whether or not it is " worth it" to do..
I will say it is tougher to do it with a B18B1 with that turbo than something else in the 48lbs/min-50lbs/min range
thank you for all of you time and quick response. I totally hear you when it comes to tunning tunnning tunning. I have taken the time to install the correct parts on my car as it sits currently. Also the tune has been done correctly. As a result the car has run great for the last 30,000 miles or so.

So when do you need to sleeve a motor?
Is 350 whp an unrealistic goal for an integra?
Sorry I do not want to **** anyone off here. I understand what you are saying about flow rates. My mistake. I understand the basic bolt on turbo on stock internals deal. However is there a place you can direct me to better understand what I would need to do to get some more power out of my car. Im only getting like 230whp right now on stock internals. do you recomend any turbo exhaust manifolds that utilize a external waste gate and still run AC. Would turbo cams help? intake manifold? like a blox? I guess what im saying is what is the most important part or combination of parts to work together for a nice decent setup that will provide decent power and reliability?