mitsubishi/ greddy turbo's - how to run lower boost on the internal wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default mitsubishi/ greddy turbo's - how to run lower boost on the internal wastegate?

Can they be modified to run lower boost?

I'd like to run 5psi off the internal gate and use a boost controller to run higher boost for 3/4/5 gears.....

Has anyone modified theirs?

My greddy 18g internal gated holds 9psi just fine. Nice and stable without any creeping or spiking. But I'd like to be able to run lower boost in 1st and 2nd gear.....

Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: mitsubishi/ greddy turbo's - how to run lower boost on the internal wastegate? (Black R)

Port the WG hole if you want to run lower boost, else it will creep, it is good to port that hole anyways. There is a ton of material you can remove and keep the stock sized flapper.

You can loosen that threaded rod so it will make like 5 PSI off the WG then set the boost controller to whatever you like. FWIW, why do you want just 5 PSI in 1st gear? I run 1 bar on the same turbo and it wont make full boost in 1st anyways, maybe .6 bar. Also you can pick up a Forge Motorsports actuator, they have replaceable springs in them so you could set a lower base boost with a lighter spring then use the boost controller to raise it from there.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mitsubishi/ greddy turbo's - how to run lower boost on the internal wastegate? (nfn15037)

Thank you very much.

Forge motorsports? I guess I'll google them.....
Old 03-25-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: mitsubishi/ greddy turbo's - how to run lower boost on the internal wastegate? (Black R)

Ya they are a UK based company, I ended up eating the few bucks and calling them, it is the only way to get ahold of them. You would think that a company would want you to spend your money with them, but not these guys lol. I do still highly recommend porting the WG hole, it made such a huge difference on my Greddy setup along with a 2.5 inch downpipe.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a 16G, took the flapper and arm off, took the arm off the flapper, ground it down a tad, and welded the flapper over the whole and ran a tial....perfect .3 bar everytime, then a manual boost controller to increase it.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: (quik sol)

Would there be any downside to useing two wastegates so long as they are both at the same spring? or even if the internal is set to a higher spring it should still work fine/better?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:32 PM

Man dont be afraid of it boost it
Old 03-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mitsubishi/ greddy turbo's - how to run lower boost on the internal wastegate? (Blue00vtecsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blue00vtecsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man dont be afraid of it boost it </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, not afraid of it - just no traction in 1st and 2nd gear.....!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mitsubishi/ greddy turbo's - how to run lower boost on the internal wastegate? (nfn15037)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nfn15037 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya they are a UK based company, I ended up eating the few bucks and calling them, it is the only way to get ahold of them. You would think that a company would want you to spend your money with them, but not these guys lol. I do still highly recommend porting the WG hole, it made such a huge difference on my Greddy setup along with a 2.5 inch downpipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this them?

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/

I can't figure out wtf to order from their website.....
Old 03-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nfn15037 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya they are a UK based company, I ended up eating the few bucks and calling them, it is the only way to get ahold of them. You would think that a company would want you to spend your money with them, but not these guys lol. I do still highly recommend porting the WG hole, it made such a huge difference on my Greddy setup along with a 2.5 inch downpipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info.

*TOTAL THREADJACK BUT IT SHOULD HELP US ALL*

I may rebuild my turbo in the near future. I was considering replacing the compressor wheel with a 16G compressor wheel, in order to hit 300whp. I have heard that turbochargers.com can do it, have you heard of people modding actual turbos with different compressor wheels to gain more WHP?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: mitsubishi/ greddy turbo's - how to run lower boost on the internal wastegate? (boostincoupe)

I Found the car had a much nicer powerband on low boost with boost creep.

If 10 pounds wasn't so much faster than the wastegate setting, i'd not use the boost controller and enjoy a better linear pull.