Notices

Log Or Ramhorn?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Log Or Ramhorn?

Well I have a complete ls turbo set-up right now.. Its tuned by Mr. Mase
I was wondering if i should get a ramhorn.. Im running on a log for right now.. But im looking for better and quicker spool..

Which Manifold would be better? Ramhorn or Log?
I want to make at least 300 whp in a couple of months.. Looking forward to turn up the boost and getting my car retune again on a 57 trin garret..
What do u guys suggest i should do?

My two options are, either new axles or just get a new manifold..

Any advice would be great!!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Log Or Ramhorn? (Dc4turbo408)

ramhorn ftw
Old 08-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Log Or Ramhorn? (Dc4turbo408)

haha, I made this same post a little while back and here's how it all boils down. Better spool actually derrives from moderate back pressure. When you increase the flow capabilities of your manifold you decrease said back pressure which actually causes a little bit slower spool, but better overall power in the higher rpms. Follow? So, it comes down to this:

Log Manifold: Quick Spool, Minimal Power
Ram Horn: Slower Spool, Max Power
Mini Me: Quick Spool, Good Power

Mini Me style FTW!! Contact Spoolin Performance or Lovefab. They both make great mini me style manifolds with a great price and lifetime warranty. I know a guy right now making 460 whp on his stock block GSR with an SC-61 using a lovefab mini me. Sounds like to me with your goals you'd definately benefit from the Mini Me over a Ram Horn.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Log Or Ramhorn? (QuarterMileMaster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by QuarterMileMaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, it comes down to this:

Log Manifold: Quick Spool, Minimal Power
Ram Horn: Slower Spool, Max Power
Mini Me: Quick Spool, Good Power

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info i have the same dilemma only im very limited on my h22 because of crossmember but thats another issue all together
Old 08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Log Or Ramhorn? (Lude_Nation)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lude_Nation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good info i have the same dilemma only im very limited on my h22 because of crossmember but thats another issue all together</TD></TR></TABLE>

get the http://www.explicitspeed.com crossmember. Sounds like it's exactly what you need.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres no turbo lag when it comes to Bseires v-tec motors, me and my friend some crazy setups and turbo lag is not an issue...besides i am now running a ramhorn manifold, no lag on a 60-1 stage 5
Old 08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
i ♥ snails

hahaha i wish that was true
Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98ekhx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ramhorn ftw</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dreadcivicturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreadcivicturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres no turbo lag when it comes to Bseires v-tec motors, me and my friend some crazy setups and turbo lag is not an issue...besides i am now running a ramhorn manifold, no lag on a 60-1 stage 5</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're full of crap. How can you say there's no lag on b series VTEC motors???? That's such a general statement; I wasted my time reading it. Don't post on this thread again. Ban all '06 users FTW!!

Like I said above, if you want all out power the ram horn is definately the way to go. But if you're willing to sacrifice a little power for better response the mini me style is your best bet.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know Full-Race or EvansTuning did a comparison for log and ramhorn setup on a B-series vtec motor, and the ram horn made significant top end gains. Now would you still see those gains or even any significant gains on an LS or even a SOHC vtec motor? There will be some gains no matter what...but are they that big? An LS and a SOHC vtec won't flow as much on the top end as that B-series vtec motor...so thats why I ask.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Simple SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dc4turbo408 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I have a complete ls turbo set-up right now.. Its tuned by Mr. Mase
I was wondering if i should get a ramhorn.. Im running on a log for right now.. But im looking for better and quicker spool..

Which Manifold would be better? Ramhorn or Log?
I want to make at least 300 whp in a couple of months.. Looking forward to turn up the boost and getting my car retune again on a 57 trin garret..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are looking for faster spool a ramhorn manifold is NOT the way you want to go. Your log mani will be fine for 300whp many people are puttin out those numbers with log manifolds. If you will be wanting some more (imho ~100whp more) hp later you might want to upgrade to a better flowing mani. If not, the log will do you just fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreadcivicturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres no turbo lag when it comes to Bseires v-tec motors, me and my friend some crazy setups and turbo lag is not an issue...besides i am now running a ramhorn manifold, no lag on a 60-1 stage 5</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, that was almost dumb enough to make my sig. All you would have needed to do was enlighten us with 2-3 more completely unfounded statements. Keep up the good work, with a little more effort you could be immortalized in my sig.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:59 AM

ramshorn ftw x2
Old 08-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK9-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK9-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ramshorn ftw x2</TD></TR></TABLE>

It has been proven, the ramhorn will actually cause the turbo to spool slower and he's stated he wants quicker spool. Actually read the threads people...
Old 08-10-2006, 06:10 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (QuarterMileMaster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by QuarterMileMaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It has been proven, the ramhorn will actually cause the turbo to spool slower and he's stated he wants quicker spool. Actually read the threads people...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its been proven over a log manifold...Has it ever been tested vs. a short runner tubular with a merge collector? A log manifold and a tubular manifold function in a very different manner..much more so than just a difference in runner length. Look at the Full-Race topmount vs. ramhorn tests...didn't the topmount spool faster and make more midrange?

Old 08-10-2006, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboJesse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboJesse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its been proven over a log manifold...Has it ever been tested vs. a short runner tubular with a merge collector? A log manifold and a tubular manifold function in a very different manner..much more so than just a difference in runner length. Look at the Full-Race topmount vs. ramhorn tests...didn't the topmount spool faster and make more midrange?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, if you're trying to say that the short tubular would be better, that's what I've been trying to say all along. If not, then you know more than I do anyways.