Notices

Lean, Rich or What?! Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lean, Rich or What?! Timing?

Just took out my old D16z6 block and sold that and dropped in a y8 block with my z6 head . . . . timing according to my friend is at 16btdc, but the car sputters . . . it does idle where it should about 800-ish but it's not fully smooth it's got a sputter to it . . . . bu bu bu bum.

I know the autometer gauges arn't accurate but I have had mine for a long *** time and it registered as stoich before I took my z6 out, but now it won't even register at lean . . . . it's like fully off the chart even with my 450cc injectors, and walboro 255lph fuel pump.

I had it at -34 at idle, and I even tried pumping a **** load of fuel into the car to get it to read some what stoich (-22) I need to find out if I am running lean or rich or what before I put my turbo setup on. I am so dying to get boosted, but I just don't want to boost if I am running lean since the only place that tunes cars here rips people off big time left and right.

My last setup was self tuned and worked so excellent . . . . my apex'i turbo timer reads 20.0 and flashes which means I am running lean as ****, but the autometer gauge and apex'i turbo timer are run off the o2 sensor so they are both getting the same reading.

Just replaced my spark plugs yesterday in hopes that that would help, but it didn't, what else could cause me to run lean, or is there a way for me to find out my condition lean or rich?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lean, Rich or What?! Timing? (Vtec92Civic)

why dont you pull your spark plug and see if they are black (rich). rough running car is usually rich or timing belt is off
Old 04-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lean, Rich or What?! Timing? (MaxSterling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaxSterling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why dont you pull your spark plug and see if they are black (rich). rough running car is usually rich or timing belt is off</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I just put the spark plugs in lastnight and fired up the car and it still runs a little weird . . . I was totally hoping that the spark plugs were going to fix the problem since my other ones were black as can be from running rich from my last turbo setup. The AF gauge does not even blink in the red now . . . . . . I know they are in-accurate, but all I know is before I took my z6 motor out it was around the orange (stoich) at idle and WOT it was green (rich) now I can't even get it to register period accept for when it starts for about 20 seconds then it falls off into the land of lean.

Is it true that since I put a Y8 block with my z6 head that I raised the compression and that could be throwing me off?

I tried leaning it out lastnight since someone said my afc settings were to rich, and that didn't do anything, I tried richening it up and that didn't seem to do a lot.

I get mixed stories on timing, maybe we did the timing wrong or something which is causing everything to be off, which is what is making my car run weird.

If the timing is off that would mean that the car could be getting enough fuel, but since the pistons are off and so are the valves that would mean it's not getting combusted properly or something.

Any and all info is appreciated . . . turbo project is on hold until this lean problem can be fixed. I only have about an hour of install left for the turbo project!

HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLP!
Old 04-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BumP
Old 04-11-2004, 05:55 PM

put the stock plugs in and see if you can get the car running on the stock ecu.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lean, Rich or What?! Timing? (ndogg)

stock plugs or you mean stock injectors?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just messed with my car again tonight and I can't get it to run right. We pulled my o2 sensor, but left it plugged into the harness, and we plugged my friends o2 sensor in from his crx that was 1 wire and connected it to the a/f gauge, and that **** was Reading rich as **** . . . . .

usually 1.00 is rich as hell it should be like 0.90-0.93 ish on my turbo timer but it was hitting 1.00 . . . . it even was like 3.00 the a/f gauge was all over the place as it usually was but more so in the land of the rich.

I am not sure what to even think, or what all to do or what . . . . car idles a little rough. I tried taking fuel away and it didn't like that, I tried adding fuel and that helped a little. Revving my car with that other o2 sensor in did not make my car happy, it didn't like that much at all.

This is getting to be so overwhelming . . . . all I want to do is have a car that idles good again, so I can boost.

Any and all info is appreciated again
Old 04-11-2004, 11:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtec92Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock plugs or you mean stock injectors?</TD></TR></TABLE>
sorry, i mean't injectors.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lean, Rich or What?! Timing? (ndogg)

prob. gona try that today . . . . I am starting to think more now that it's my o2 sensor that took a ****.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Modified by JonnyDanger at 4:28 PM 4/16/2004