Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d15b8 Block z6 minime setup problems long**

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d15b8 Block z6 minime setup problems long**

well i just got finished with my mini me swap.

an EG with a d15b8 block with a d16z6 head. used the d16z6 timing belt. fits perfectly fine, even went step by step with Honda-tech instructions.

i also changed y8 intake manifold. used the old injectors but used the y7 fuel rail. i set the timing too, damn [freak]en almost perfect. all of this on a p28, also i haven't wired in Vtec yet. but eventually ill do that. it just got too dark out for me to work on it anymore.

but now that it's running, i'm having some trouble. the damn idle is so [freak]en high. sitting at 1200 rpm's. it doesn't sputter or drop out. it Revs nicely and freely. has ample power you can freely drive with. there is some slight hesitation in the low rpms but aside that it drives nice. I've tried a bit and adjusted the idle screw to the max. I made sure my hoses are good, the throttle cable is correctly placed. i drove it the first time around town, for 30 miles. it definably feels different. haven't swung it past 4.5k rpms as the head had just been rebuilt. i want to take it easy the first few hundred miles.

as far as i can tell. i set the timing correctly with my timing light. i used the stock Cam gear (dunno if there is a different deck height that i need to overlap or compensate for. but anyways) i made damn sure i used new gaskets on all my parts.

i am praying to god (that doesn't exist) to help me fix this idle problem. btw i called a buddy up and asked him if he could give any pointers he told me that i need a cam gear to adjust timing as it is sopose to be slightly off regardless what the timing light says.

anyways the car overheated recently and started smoking white/coolant grey/oil. usual signs of blown head gasket. but i do hope i didn't blow that [freak]er cause that'll really **** me off. i don't want to rip out the head again. to replace something i just bought. anyways i cooled off the car and doesn't smoke anymore. imma go test out the coolant to see if there is any oil in the system come tomorrow. i did lose about 1 quart of oil it seems. but i can't really attribute that to anything though. i found out that my stock cam pulley is slightly bent. but not so much to the point where it's going to cause any damage. I'm going to put my AEM cam gear in it. it seems the fan isn't working. i didn't change out the Thermostat and i also didn't disconnect the fan connectors. but the fan doesn't work. it was working before so i can't really see how it wasn't working now.

anyways the Y8 intake.. well i have no idea what year it came from. there are a sorts of sensors not connected as i was switching out from a CX piece of **** intake to a nice y8. 2 sensors aren't functioning at the moment one because i needed to tee of a line (which at the time i didn't have) and the other one doesn't fit the manifold. i believe it doesn't exist on the y8 manifold.(maybe the air temperature sensor) they are connected but not attached to the intake currently. i forget what sensors but i knew 2 weren't working. 2 sensors just didn't fit the manifold. i also didn't fit the the hoses to the intake, i had a friend do it. ill have to go check out the which ones they are.

I'm also still using the B8 crank pulley.

the Throttle body was cleaned out WELL before the head was even on. i found out that my IACV is having a problem. it seems to get stuck and it overwhelmingly draws in air. it's really loud too. it only happens when during cold starts. i disconnected it and my the Rocky idle doesn't happen anymore. i am sure the IACV is [freak]ed up. i need to replace that. it starts up it idles like a BAT IN HELL. you can hear it in the intake line. the very suckness.l

i haven't pressure tested for leaks in the manifold as my homemade leak tester was used on my old turbo 15g Turbo, the inlet is like 2 inches.. and the y8 TB is like 2.5 inches. so i couldn't test it for leaks until i build a new leak tester. i need one with a 2.5 inch design. i am pretty sure the bad idle is coming from a bad leak someplace or is in direct result from bad timing.

either way it's my DD and i'm kinda [freak]ed. so any help would be appreciated. it's going for a deep scope tomorrow. i only have 600 dollars just in case money left.. i really don't want to spend a penny more into this.

I read that since im using my B8 Crank, it sits at 12° btdc and the z6 crank pulley sits at 16° btdc.

using my cam gear can i offset the difference in timing?

plz any answer is would help
Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

adjust the dizzy clockwise, check for vaccum leaks, also adjust the throttle adjustment screw. maybe a intake manifold gasket leak, and then worry about the bigger thinngs. you did mix and match alot of parts. check the simple stuff first. thats what it usually is.