Notices

Im gonna boost my car what needs to be done to the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im gonna boost my car what needs to be done to the motor?

i have a stock 96 civic dx that im spraying right now im gonna boost it in about a month but i wanna know the basic things to the motor ... the idea that i have is basicly change the pistons to low compression and put a 3 puck sprung clutch and it should be fine but im really not too sure this is the first time im gonna be boosting
Old 12-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have a lot to learn....search that FAQ at the top and read....i dont know where to start on this thread
Old 12-25-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Im gonna boost my car what needs to be done to the motor? (x8_andrew_8x)

x2 you are looking at it in a very vauge way
Old 12-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im gonna boost my car what needs to be done to the motor? (b18sihatch)

thats why im on this site to learn what i need to do i know everything else but im new to boosting i know how to do motor swaps and all but im so new to boosting i know how it works but i wanna know what i need to do to make it somewhat properly work because im going to be doing a type r swap in the car but i wanna boost the single cam for now
Old 12-25-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Im gonna boost my car what needs to be done to the motor? (x8_andrew_8x)

IMO when going turbo somewhat, and properly shouldnt be in the same sentence!

turboed motors only work Properly

anything else is just a blown motor is Somewhat and properly come into play.

pistons,rods,rings,bearings,machine work,assembly,tuning,fuel management, engine management,turbo kit

all of listed for starters is what you need to take into consideration one at a time
Old 12-26-2006, 04:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Im gonna boost my car what needs to be done to the motor? (b18sihatch)

yo bro e-mail me if you want the scoop on Boosting your car. I know doing the research is mandatory but if your not getting it from someone who knows best then your not going to get anywhere. Don't get me wrong honda-tech has some amazing info/people but some people discourage you from getting anywhere. Hit me up and I'll break it down for you. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 AM

all you need to start with is a turbo kit. you dont HAVE to build the motor. just depends what you gonna do with it/how much power. and if you are gonna boost a type R motor then you are waistin your time/money boostin the single cam you will need a proper/bigger/different set up for the R motor.

as someone stated earlier its not too be rude but there is a huge amount of information in the forced induction FAQ, it can really help you learn and figure out how to get the answers you need. it is at the top of the page when you open the forced induction forum.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im gonna boost my car what needs to be done to the motor? (crx18c1)

hey whats ur email so i can get some information from you
Old 12-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Im gonna boost my car what needs to be done to the motor? (crx18c1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo bro e-mail me if you want the scoop on Boosting your car. I know doing the research is mandatory but if your not getting it from someone who knows best then your not going to get anywhere. Don't get me wrong honda-tech has some amazing info/people but some people discourage you from getting anywhere. Hit me up and I'll break it down for you. Good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

People only 'discourage' n00bs because every n00b has to ask the same questions, and the same questions are answered in the FAQ section, as well as 60 minutes worth of article research on honda-tech and google. If you can't be bothered to spend even an hour on personal research, you should just by a mustang and be done with it. No offense, I've just dealt with lazy idiots blowing their cars up in this town, although I usually benifit in some way when they immediately get out of hondas.

Here's the 'scoop': first replace all the parts you'd change during a major tuneup. Then check the motor for compression, leakdown, etc - the usual tests to see if the motor is crap. Fix what's wrong, tune it well NA, then put the kit on and tune it again. One thing most people miss are the spark plugs. Go 1-2 steps colder (depending on power output), as well as gap them from .32-.28 (again, depending on power).
Old 12-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im gonna boost my car what needs to be done to the motor? (HiProfile)

so basicly do the tune up and check the compression.... what would the compression be for turbo like 170psi??
Old 12-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing regarding your original post....screw the stupid ITR swap...build the D and boost it. That would be way more fun and a hell of a lot more power/$$