Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

 
Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 AM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Haven't seen this listed anywhere and I'm definitely not in a position of being able to figure this out by measuring one on my own.

I know the turbo is a "Single Scroll MHI TD04", but does anyone know the actual wheel dimensions on the compressor/exhaust wheel? I'm assuming something around 40-44mm on the exducer on the hot side, 45-50mm on the inducer. Maybe 45-50mm on the compressor inducer, 54-58mm on the exducer.

But this is just random *** guessing, curious if anyone has actually measured one of these.
Chance EG is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:06 PM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Balor_Gr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 827
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Td04 seems too small for the type r.
Balor_Gr is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:28 PM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr View Post
Td04 seems too small for the type r.
2017-2018 Honda Civic Type R Turbo Review of Specs / R&D / Development + More!

https://www.civicx.com/threads/anyon...e-turbo.12716/

Supposedly a TD04 running at 23PSI.
Chance EG is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 12:20 AM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
extremeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Judging from the power the FK8 Type R is able to produce (~380whp) it has to be a TD04HL variant with a 18T, 19T or 20T compressor wheel. FYI McLaren use a similar turbo in twin's configuration for their 3.8 litre V8 (1.9 litre per turbo). Direct Injection, VTEC and high compression undoubtedly help extract every last horsepower from the limited lb/min flow.
extremeracer is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 05:52 AM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by extremeracer View Post
Judging from the power the FK8 Type R is able to produce (~380whp) it has to be a TD04HL variant with a 18T, 19T or 20T compressor wheel. FYI McLaren use a similar turbo in twin's configuration for their 3.8 litre V8 (1.9 litre per turbo). Direct Injection, VTEC and high compression undoubtedly help extract every last horsepower from the limited lb/min flow.
I don't know of any tuned/bolt-on FK8 making over 350WHP with the stock turbo?
Chance EG is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM
  #6  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by extremeracer View Post
Judging from the power the FK8 Type R is able to produce (~380whp) it has to be a TD04HL variant with a 18T, 19T or 20T compressor wheel. FYI McLaren use a similar turbo in twin's configuration for their 3.8 litre V8 (1.9 litre per turbo). Direct Injection, VTEC and high compression undoubtedly help extract every last horsepower from the limited lb/min flow.
I've only had 2 in my possession briefly, and couldn't measure wheels from them at the time. One was for a 10th Gen SI, the other for the FK8 Type R. I'll see if I can get them back to get some photos, or something.

380whp?. mmmm. possibly., But even the 18T's never got to that level, even if they prayed. I'll give you a Mitsu chart so that you'll know what I'm referring to. Even at the 18T's best choke point, that's about 38lbs/min. That's enough to do 350whp, but at over 2.5PR, (that's over 36psi of boost pressure). I doubt that the R is running that much boost to do that. 16-22psi, sure.. but not over 36psi..

Here you go. I'm not saying you're really wrong, I'm just saying.. check your source and make sure that you're talking power to the wheels , not Brake Horse Power, that's all.

MHI Turbocharger reference chart
TheShodan is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 06:55 PM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Even a 20T couldn't do 380WHP.

I think right about 350WHP has been done by PFI, not sure at how much boost (I think they were still at 23.5PSI). They changed the downpipe.


4Piston Racing also has some parts and head options now for the K20C1 engines, but if you're still limited to the stock turbo manifold or especially the turbo itself, I don't think you'd get much higher than what's already been seen.
Chance EG is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 01:00 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

pfi dyno has fake numbers at least thats the rumor....they "compensate" for high altitude. they do show uncorrected value but not what correction that they are using.


makes 250 uncorrected. math says there using 1.4 correction but hard to say how accurate this is
2kdrift is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 AM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
pfi dyno has fake numbers at least thats the rumor....they "compensate" for high altitude. they do show uncorrected value but not what correction that they are using.
Their dyno is legitimate. Kyle from Boostedboiz has dyno'd his Civic on the PFI dyno and then within a week on a different dyno without changing anything, and his WHP results were within like 1-3 WHP of one another. Brent tuned Garrett/Cletus McFarland's 1200+WHP shelled Corvette recently as well just doing a road tune and the results were impressive (no dyno numbers to compare it with, but that's a pretty high standard to work with and be successful with for on the fly road tuning at elevation).

They also tuned the K-Swap Hondaru on a third party dyno after the PFI shop location had to close down, with Brent again doing the tuning, and it came out with crazy results. If they're fudging the numbers, it's not by much.
Chance EG is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 07:18 AM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Balor_Gr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 827
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Td04 turbine wheel is much smaller from td05 right?
Im saying if its really a 4646 sized turbo it would work TOO hard for that 322 hp of the type r. Not for the number achibed but for the reliability of the turbo... Just saying.
Balor_Gr is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 07:53 AM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr View Post
Td04 turbine wheel is much smaller from td05 right?
Im saying if its really a 4646 sized turbo it would work TOO hard for that 322 hp of the type r. Not for the number achibed but for the reliability of the turbo... Just saying.
Agreed, but so far I haven't heard of too many premature failures on these turbos. Again, I'm very interested as to what the actual size is.

In the video I linked above they also mentioned that the turbo has no special bells and whistles. Still a cast compressor wheel. 23.5PSI is pretty high for a factory car, and would be on the upper limit of the usable threshold on the turbo, but the power outputs still seem pretty impressive for what's going on.

I'm assuming having 2.0L of displacement and (I'm assuming) an efficient cylinder head with almost 11:1 compression is helping as well.
Chance EG is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 08:09 AM
  #12  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
Their dyno is legitimate. Kyle from Boostedboiz has dyno'd his Civic on the PFI dyno and then within a week on a different dyno without changing anything, and his WHP results were within like 1-3 WHP of one another. Brent tuned Garrett/Cletus McFarland's 1200+WHP shelled Corvette recently as well just doing a road tune and the results were impressive (no dyno numbers to compare it with, but that's a pretty high standard to work with and be successful with for on the fly road tuning at elevation).

They also tuned the K-Swap Hondaru on a third party dyno after the PFI shop location had to close down, with Brent again doing the tuning, and it came out with crazy results. If they're fudging the numbers, it's not by much.
Yeah, yeah, Kyle X, Brent Y, Cletus X. No one knows these people , and its irrelevant to the issue. Good tuners don't care about numbers, as it doesn't matter. Driveability, repeatablity, and precision are needed. If it makes X vs. Y, the people themselves don't affect the number itself.

I think that we need to know simple SAE correction. that's always been the standard of measurement accounting for as many factors as the sensors deem available.

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr View Post
Td04 turbine wheel is much smaller from td05 right?
Im saying if its really a 4646 sized turbo it would work TOO hard for that 322 hp of the type r. Not for the number achibed but for the reliability of the turbo... Just saying.
Yes, the Td04 turbine wheel, (which comes in about 2 main configurations/blade counts) is smaller than the TD05. Since MHI nomenclature can be really ugly with a lot of generic naming for some parts or all of the turbocharger, it's hard to tell what's really there until I can get another one apart.

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
Agreed, but so far I haven't heard of too many premature failures on these turbos. Again, I'm very interested as to what the actual size is.

In the video I linked above they also mentioned that the turbo has no special bells and whistles. Still a cast compressor wheel. 23.5PSI is pretty high for a factory car, and would be on the upper limit of the usable threshold on the turbo, but the power outputs still seem pretty impressive for what's going on.

I'm assuming having 2.0L of displacement and (I'm assuming) an efficient cylinder head with almost 11:1 compression is helping as well.
You're not seeing the ones that are reported. Those that have failed were mainly those that were in factory condition in racing environments. There are plenty that have been destroyed by those using the platform to race them. So far, all have replaced the entire unit, and made no tweaks to the turbo. Customization is getting there, but right now, it's rather slow. due to lack of usable cores available to third-parties.

The 11:1 compression helps with the engine being to get to the correct dynamic compression more quickly, but it doesn't change the amount of boost pressure by that much to the point of where a turbo of this general size wouldn't still already be within it's CFM choke point, and change numbers significantly. So, we'll need to see when folks get their hands on them.

As stupid as it may seem to us enthusiasts here, many that do have possession of cores are keeping measurements under wraps until they can create an upgrade for release to those that can afford the platform upgrade. We have a general idea of what needs to be increased, and most will just put out a bigger turbocharger and either adapt it to work within the "headifold" as the original, or create something that uses the same housing configurations.. Time will tell.
TheShodan is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM
  #13  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
Their dyno is legitimate. Kyle from Boostedboiz has dyno'd his Civic on the PFI dyno and then within a week on a different dyno without changing anything, and his WHP results were within like 1-3 WHP .
And how do you know the "third party" was not using correction? Just say in

per the video it made 250 uncorrected anything past that is speculation at best. As it's been said hundreds of times the dyno is just a tool hard to say exact numbers once correction comes into play
2kdrift is offline  
Old 08-20-2018, 03:52 AM
  #14  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
And how do you know the "third party" was not using correction? Just say in

per the video it made 250 uncorrected anything past that is speculation at best. As it's been said hundreds of times the dyno is just a tool hard to say exact numbers once correction comes into play
Like everyone is saying, it's just numbers. All I'm trying to point out is I don't believe PFI to be a shop that feels necessary to pad their numbers in order to appeal more to customers.

Off topic anyway. Apparently the exact specs of these turbos as of yet are unknown/unpublished.
Chance EG is offline  
Old 08-20-2018, 08:51 AM
  #15  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
Like everyone is saying, it's just numbers. All I'm trying to point out is I don't believe PFI to be a shop that feels necessary to pad their numbers in order to appeal more to customers.

Off topic anyway. Apparently the exact specs of these turbos as of yet are unknown/unpublished.
haha I don't get compensation that's exactly what their doing....less power at that elevation so why make any corrections no correction would be as close as you can get to actual numbers
2kdrift is offline  
Old 08-21-2018, 12:27 AM
  #16  
Honda-Tech Member
 
extremeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle Curiousity - Anyone Know the Actual Dimensions of the FK8 TD04 Turbo?

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
I've only had 2 in my possession briefly, and couldn't measure wheels from them at the time. One was for a 10th Gen SI, the other for the FK8 Type R. I'll see if I can get them back to get some photos, or something.

380whp?. mmmm. possibly., But even the 18T's never got to that level, even if they prayed. I'll give you a Mitsu chart so that you'll know what I'm referring to. Even at the 18T's best choke point, that's about 38lbs/min. That's enough to do 350whp, but at over 2.5PR, (that's over 36psi of boost pressure). I doubt that the R is running that much boost to do that. 16-22psi, sure.. but not over 36psi..

Here you go. I'm not saying you're really wrong, I'm just saying.. check your source and make sure that you're talking power to the wheels , not Brake Horse Power, that's all.

MHI Turbocharger reference chart
It seems outside of the realm of the TD04 family I totally agree. Here is the car I was referencing assuming it is on OEM turbo, Humble Performance tuned it on Hondata (go to 8:15).

extremeracer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: