Notices

How important is a oilcooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is a oilcooler?

Hi!
I'm building a turbo engine it's a Td04E Hybrid turbo with a b16a1 engine, forged internals, acl bearings. Looking for around 15psi on 9,1 compression.
My turbo is only oilcooled, does this make the importance of a oilcooler more important? I that case what size of oilcooler should I be looking for?

Old 10-14-2004, 08:00 AM

yeah an oil cooler is a must on a turbo car... many guys here dont run a oil cooler and are fine...

But keep in mind that with a turbo your oil get really hot and you would like to get cooler oil for your engine and your turbo.

Personally I run a B&M oil cooler with the thermostat and its fine this way... I plane to rmove the thermostat cuz I dont run the car in winter... yup here it will be like -20c in a few weeks lol
Old 10-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah an oil cooler is a must on a turbo car... many guys here dont run a oil cooler and are fine...
But keep in mind that with a turbo your oil get really hot and you would like to get cooler oil for your engine and your turbo.
Personally I run a B&M oil cooler with the thermostat and its fine this way... I plane to rmove the thermostat cuz I dont run the car in winter... yup here it will be like -20c in a few weeks lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

How big that oilcooler?
Dude over here we got 0 degrees allready...
Old 10-14-2004, 08:23 AM

oh ok you are from Sweden ! nice ! well for the size it doesnt take something too big... maybe around like 5inch x 10 inch...

and if you are running your car in winter I would get a thermostat.

BTW here its like 0 degree or so also...
Old 10-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't wory i be running the Corolla during the winter
Do you allso have a oiltemp gauge? In that case what temp do you have usually driving mid hard?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yellowturbo, how much did the oil cooler cost you and where did you get it from?

BTW, still 90 deg here.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 AM

well it cost me like 80$ CAN cuz I bought it from a friend... the installation is pretty easy.

No I dont have any oil temp gauge... I know I should have one....

Old 10-14-2004, 08:38 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I plane to rmove the thermostat cuz I dont run the car in winter... yup here it will be like -20c in a few weeks lol </TD></TR></TABLE>
Dude keep that stat, the oil needs to be warm to work corectly!
Most would run one w/o and that is NOT the way to do it!
I will be running an ITR oil "Heater/Cooler" WITH a stat and cooler
Old 10-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YASH)

Hi Yash... How you doin...

The b16a2 in euro version has the stock oilcooler/warmer anyway but i don´t know about the b16a1.

The us b16a1 don´t have that..... I think... If you plan to run an oil cooler use a thermostat controlled one... // Welen
Old 10-14-2004, 10:22 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: (The sweed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The sweed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi Yash... How you doin...

The b16a2 in euro version has the stock oilcooler/warmer anyway but i don´t know about the b16a1.

The us b16a1 don´t have that..... I think... If you plan to run an oil cooler use a thermostat controlled one... // Welen</TD></TR></TABLE>
We have the b16a2 here in the US and it does not have the cooler/warmer!
Also we have already discussed the thermo issue
BUT thanks for your opinion on the matter
Old 10-14-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Re: (si2die4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si2die4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Dude keep that stat, the oil needs to be warm to work corectly!
Most would run one w/o and that is NOT the way to do it!
I will be running an ITR oil "Heater/Cooler" WITH a stat and cooler </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok I will keep it ! Thanks
Old 10-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The sweed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi Yash... How you doin...
The us b16a1 don´t have that..... I think... If you plan to run an oil cooler use a thermostat controlled one... // Welen</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi Fredrik! I'm doing just fine...waiting for the parts!

The oilcooler you are talking about, isn't it the U form thing in the front? That the b16a1 hasn't, but i thought that it was a oilcooler for the hydro steering oil and not the engine ??? Or do you mean something else?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YASH)

The oilcooler is like a sandwitsh addapter that the coolent runs through mounted before the oilfilter.. When the oil is cold the water helps the oil to get to working temp.. When it´s hot the engines coolent helps bringing the temps down..

On my a2 I will mount a oil temp gauge so I can monitor the temp to se were it´s supose to be when the car is NA and when the turbo comes on I`ll see if I need a oil cooler..

The pipes in the front is a cheap way for honda to cool the power steering fluid just like u said ..
Old 10-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it possible to take an oil cooler setup off a jdm b16 motor and use it on a usdm b18c1 motor??? my boy has one chilling in my storage unit and this would be a good mod for my turbo.. let me know if anyone has any info on weather it will work or not.. thanks
Old 10-15-2004, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The sweed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The oilcooler is like a sandwitsh addapter that the coolent runs through mounted before the oilfilter.. When the oil is cold the water helps the oil to get to working temp.. When it´s hot the engines coolent helps bringing the temps down..
On my a2 I will mount a oil temp gauge so I can monitor the temp to se were it´s supose to be when the car is NA and when the turbo comes on I`ll see if I need a oil cooler..
The pipes in the front is a cheap way for honda to cool the power steering fluid just like u said ..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I examined my A1 last night and i think found the soundwitch allso on it.
Were do you put the sensor for the oil temp? I thought of putting a waffle?? "våffla" as in swedish before the oilfilter and put a oilcooler together with a temp sensor.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:59 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: (TurboBumblBee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboBumblBee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it possible to take an oil cooler setup off a jdm b16 motor and use it on a usdm b18c1 motor</TD></TR></TABLE>
It would be if there is one on there. I did not think there was tho...???
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YASH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Were do you put the sensor for the oil temp?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I put mine off a t inline with my press sensor and oil feed for the turbo.
I have an oil "manifold" setup on the fire wall
I believe the best spot is welded on the oil pan tho
Old 10-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (si2die4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si2die4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It would be if there is one on there. I did not think there was tho...??
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes there is one.. ive seen it with my own eyes.. would the water neck fit and be the correct size.. kinda looking for straight answers cause it would be a lotta work to do all this and find out it doenst fit..