Notices

HELP! vacuum connections for wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! vacuum connections for wastegate

ive been doing my own mechanical work on every car ive owned now for quite some time, so i would say that i pretty much know what im doing when it comes to moderate tune ups. i am going to install my own custom turbo kit on my 95 civic with a b18c swap, all stock internals, with a streetable 7lbs. the main thing im worried about is the vacuum connections for the wastegate. there is a connection on the top and one on the side. HELP! can anyone tell me where to connect these openings? i know that the wastegate is a very crucial part of the turbo system and i dont want to screw anything up. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 09-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! vacuum connections for wastegate (lazyeyez)

the top port is usually used with a boost controller you can leave it open if you are not using one.

The side port is the boost vacuum source wheer you need to connect your line to.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: HELP! vacuum connections for wastegate (lazyeyez)

You can "T" off the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold and run your vacuum line for the wastegate off of that.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! vacuum connections for wastegate (EM1 MIKE)

im gonna be using a vortech fmu (12:1) for the meantime. it's "T"d off at the fuel pressure regulator line as well, right? if so, will it interfere with the vacuum line directed to the side port of the wastegate? and what can i use to block the top port of the wastegate if i wont be using a boost controller right now?thanks guyz.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see that the internally wastegated turbo tap into the compressor housing... would this be any different from tapping it into another source... as you all have suggested?

the top fitting is open to ambient, i believe... or atleast that's what I see...
Old 09-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scartail)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scartail &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i see that the internally wastegated turbo tap into the compressor housing... would this be any different from tapping it into another source... as you all have suggested?

the top fitting is open to ambient, i believe... or atleast that's what I see...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The difference, as I understand it, is that the port on the compressor housing doesn't really know how much boost is reaching the manifold. That's why people suggest running a T off the brake booster or fuel pressure regulator. This way, the wastegate is seeing how much boost the motor is really getting at the intake manifold.

I used a GE vacuum manifold for my setup. It was a lot easier and cleaner than using a bunch of T's everywhere.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (rhettster)

The compressor will never report more boost pressure than seen in the intake manifold. There will always be some pressure loss through the FMIC and piping. I use the compressor for vaccuum source as its closer and probably has less lag.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Muckman)

thats some really good info guyz . now ive gotta pretty good idea that as long as the sideport is tapped in somewhere before the throttle plate. anything needed to get vacuum after the plate thats important?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah.. u HT guys are awesome... thanks for the knowledge!!
Old 09-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lazyeyez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazyeyez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats some really good info guyz . now ive gotta pretty good idea that as long as the sideport is tapped in somewhere before the throttle plate. anything needed to get vacuum after the plate thats important? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing major. Just make sure you use some good silicone vacuum hose. I use zip-ties to secure each one to the nipple on either side -- this way they won't blow off when you're in boost. When you run the hose, make sure it doesn't touch anything hot like the turbo manifold
Old 09-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rhettster)

hell yeah! its all coming together now. ive got a very clear idea of how it all works. I know it'll be a successful basic starter kit, even though it sounds like it'll take a WHOLE dedicated day to do it. i'm ready for it though. as long as it will produce about 240hp safely for the meantime. I NEED BOOST!!!!! After my cashflow picks back up, you know i'll be upgrading fuel management to hondata! Oh, with the use of the fmu, is there a need to retard the timing with the distibutor since i dont have msd ignition or anything like that? if so, which way do i move it and how much? does it have to be extremely accurate?

Modified by lazyeyez at 6:29 AM 9/14/2004