Notices

help me buy correct piston

Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me buy correct piston

Hey everyone need your help got ls bottom end (crank) (rods) with unmilled stock gsr head and oem 3 layer headgasket... which piston will get me between 10:1-10:5:1 the closer to 10:1 the better forged piston (arias,cp,weisco)? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help me buy correct piston

why are you so concerned about 10:1 CR and why w/ forged? Pistons usually arent the problem under boost
Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks...

Last edited by 93DXEG; 04-14-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: ...
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TaffetaEj6
why are you so concerned about 10:1 CR and why w/ forged? Pistons usually arent the problem under boost
That doesn't sound right. Look around, and you'll find the piston ringlands are usually the first thing to go in an LS-T. I've broke a set myself with too much timing. Forged usually give you a little bit more room for error.

With that being said, if you're doing an LS/V-T, then there are a couple things to consider. Putting forged pistons on factory rods isn't really worth it because the forged pistons accept a C clip to hold them on. Factory pins are pressed to fit. Also, with the higher revs you'll be making, the rod bolts are another thing you'll want to upgrade (come with forged rods already) because they're a very weak point on the LS rods.

Do a little more research. This question comes up all the time.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have eagle rods just refering to ls stroke... would eneter specs in compression calc but cant find dome cc of pistons to enter in. Found my answer any way thanks...
Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigMike0147
That doesn't sound right. Look around, and you'll find the piston ringlands are usually the first thing to go in an LS-T. I've broke a set myself with too much timing. Forged usually give you a little bit more room for error.

With that being said, if you're doing an LS/V-T, then there are a couple things to consider. Putting forged pistons on factory rods isn't really worth it because the forged pistons accept a C clip to hold them on. Factory pins are pressed to fit. Also, with the higher revs you'll be making, the rod bolts are another thing you'll want to upgrade (come with forged rods already) because they're a very weak point on the LS rods.

I guess it boils down to others people personal expeirences vs other peoples pearsonal expeiences. You already stated yours blew from too much timing...all boils down to tuning. Everone I have seen in my area never ever had a problem w/ factory oem pistons under boost
Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BigMike0147

you can press fit a floating pin in a stock rod by expanding it on the small end

and you answered your own question on why you had a problem with cast

too much timing !

forged are stronger but the drawback is you get less mileage from the engine due to that greater PWC and wear on the rings. that and if you would have magically put a forged piston in the engine you blew a cast piston in the piston MIGHT have held but you would hammer the **** out of the bearings from that detonation

still, if it's an LS i'm SO behind aftermarket rods even though technically you can use a stock rod on a floating piston, you just make it a press fit
Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
you can press fit a floating pin in a stock rod by expanding it on the small end

and you answered your own question on why you had a problem with cast

too much timing !

forged are stronger but the drawback is you get less mileage from the engine due to that greater PWC and wear on the rings. that and if you would have magically put a forged piston in the engine you blew a cast piston in the piston MIGHT have held but you would hammer the **** out of the bearings from that detonation

still, if it's an LS i'm SO behind aftermarket rods even though technically you can use a stock rod on a floating piston, you just make it a press fit
It seems like yall are knowledgeable about the subject, so I'm not going to debate about the forged internals for too long. Depending on the material of the forged pistons, you can run close clearances and get a longer ring life (such as 4032 alloy) because they don't expand as much.

The tune is by FAR the most important thing when doing all of this work to a motor. Your tuner can blow up a brand new engine quick. OR you can get a batch of bad gas and drop the octane rating that can give you detonation and cause pistons to fail. Either way, if you have the cash, I'd spend it for piece of mind.

And I know that forged pistons CAN be made to press fit on stock rods, BUT if you're going to go through all that (sizing the rod end) then why not just get forged rods?? That's just my opinion though and we all know how those go.