Notices

Floating pistons???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floating pistons???

wats up guys .. i got a question regarding floating pistons? if even that the correct term? ive read a few threads some old ones but im stil a bit confused and i like to be clear in this info....

got a set of eage LS rods that need floating pistons? after reading threads i understood that oem pistons are pressed in. aftermarket are al floating? is this a fact? i guess im a picture kinda guy and im trying to understand it see what it does and what is the benefit of it if nay? can somone chime in all help is appreciated
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Floating pistons???

Yup your on the right track. I like the forged pistons, Easy install.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Stock Pistons use wrist pins that press into the rod. So the piston actually floats on the fixed wrist pin.

In floating wrist pin setups, the piston secures the pin on each end with some type of clip/lock depending on the style (cir-clip, wave/spiral lock, ect) and the pin floates in a bushed connecting rod small end.

Not all aftermarket rods or pistons are floating wrist pin. The Eagle rods are however, and have the bronze bushing for a floating wrist pin. You MUST use pistons that have locks to hold the wrist pin in place.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Stock Pistons use wrist pins that press into the rod. So the piston actually floats on the fixed wrist pin.

In floating wrist pin setups, the piston secures the pin on each end with some type of clip/lock depending on the style (cir-clip, wave/spiral lock, ect) and the pin floates in a bushed connecting rod small end.

Not all aftermarket rods or pistons are floating wrist pin. The Eagle rods are however, and have the bronze bushing for a floating wrist pin. You MUST use pistons that have locks to hold the wrist pin in place.
i really appreciate the fas response and the explanation i understand now my next question is. when i order the pistons i choose do i have to specify this or is there a way to notice before making a purchase im trying to use supertech piston for a lower silicone based and to my opinion a bit more streetable and avoid piston slap and anything else there is.. i appreciate all the help again guys
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most aftermarket pistons will be floating. Supertech are fine. It will usually twll you in the description if they require stock rods.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dcmatt
Most aftermarket pistons will be floating. Supertech are fine. It will usually twll you in the description if they require stock rods.
thank you sir i appreciate your confirmation..