Notices

Extreme Hesitation/ Misfiring Under Full Boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Hesitation/ Misfiring Under Full Boost

Just as the topic reads...I just intalled my turbo setup (JG-Fab log manifold, t3/t04e, tial 38mm wastegate, missing link, 12:1 fmu, walbro 255 lph). It runs fine until I hit full boost a little over 4k rpm, but from then to around 7k rpm, it bogs horribly and misfires. From 7k to redline, it stops misfiring and pulls like it is supposed to. At first I thought it was a vacuum problem, but then why would it stop missing at high rpm? I have my wastegate source from a fitting I welded into the charge piping after the compressor, since the compressor housing didnt have one. It almost makes me thing it is a extremely rich condition because it seems when more air is added (opened secondaries) it stars pulling. Any advice/comments would be appreciated. I know it needs a tune, and the fmu is only temporary.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Extreme Hesitation/ Misfiring Under Full Boost (geezer_187)

No help from anyone? Also, I am running stock ignition with ngk bkr7e plugs gapped to .030. I'm still trying to figure this problem out. ::shrugs::
Old 05-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do your plugs look like? Can you smell anything, like raw fuel when your getting on it. Kinda hard for us to tell you. Get a wideband on it
Old 05-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your plugs, then your coil, then your icm, then your plugs again.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Extreme Hesitation/ Misfiring Under Full Boost (drintegra)

Well, its a funny story. After I installed all of my turbo parts, when we tried to give it the first start, it wouldnt fire. At first I thought it was something I left loose or did wrong. After checking everything, I took my icm and coil to autozone to be tested (didnt have a multimeter where I was installing the setup) and they both tested fine. I got the car towed to my work (acura dealership) we found that it was the icm, so we replaced it with a friend's test one, and then it started fine. We also put a new coil in, so idk.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by geezer_187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just as the topic reads...I just intalled my turbo setup (JG-Fab log manifold, t3/t04e, tial 38mm wastegate, missing link, 12:1 fmu, walbro 255 lph). It runs fine until I hit full boost a little over 4k rpm, but from then to around 7k rpm, it bogs horribly and misfires. From 7k to redline, it stops misfiring and pulls like it is supposed to. At first I thought it was a vacuum problem, but then why would it stop missing at high rpm? I have my wastegate source from a fitting I welded into the charge piping after the compressor, since the compressor housing didnt have one. It almost makes me thing it is a extremely rich condition because it seems when more air is added (opened secondaries) it stars pulling. Any advice/comments would be appreciated. I know it needs a tune, and the fmu is only temporary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you dont have a wideband on it you have no idea whats going on...
Old 05-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your plugs again, and gap them lower. Also get a wideband or something to check your afr. Look at the plus and make sure they are finr.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

12:1 FMU and missing link are the problem. I would just wait to get it tuned before going into anymore boost man.. Gap the plugs to .028 and at least have somebody local to you do a street tune for you. It's 100x better then an FMU/ML.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:29 PM

Not that I will vouch for a FMU and missing link, but I have never had a problem with them. Did you make sure to retard your timing by pulling your distributor back towards the firewall a bit? That and a really rich condition are my guess.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (utahbmx)

I had almost the same problem, my ICM went, changed the ICM still the same sh*t, changed the coil--same sh*t, changed the plugs--Bingo!! My plugs were fouled up and one of em was cracked! New plugs gapped to .26 and I havent had any problems since. Check them grounds too, let us know what happens, good luck
Old 05-29-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (blazin99si)

I found out that my fmu wasnt hooked to a strong enough vacuum source. I put a vacuum tee between the fpr and intake mani and it fixed the problem.