Notices

EGT probe, removable, for tuning cusomters cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT probe, removable, for tuning cusomters cars?

I have a wideband that I can install temporarily in a customer car, I'll use the stock o2 bung, and use a x-over harness to feed a narrowband output back to the ecu.

But what solutions are there for a temporary EGT probe, so I can dial in timing adjustment.

I don't think I need to read accurate readings, I just need to read Deltas... does this make sense? Anyone have any input?

-PHiZ
Old 10-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT probe, removable, for tuning cusomters cars? (PHiZ)

install it in the downpipe...you could make some weird kind of 'Y' that screws into the downpipe with your egt and wb sensors in it, but this would probably make for shitty readings on both...you could always go to the slight trouble of drilling a tapping their manifold and then just screwing a plug in, when you're done!
Old 10-09-2003, 04:50 PM

Default Re: EGT probe, removable, for tuning cusomters cars? (ion_four)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ion_four &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could always go to the slight trouble of drilling a tapping their manifold and then just screwing a plug in, when you're done!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exaclty, it's trouble, but I suppose for a serious tune, that is something I'd have to do, although I'd almost hope that for a car like that, there would be an EGT in the cockpit.

I was toying with the idea of just attatching something heat conductive sensor pickup to the manifold. But that would be affected by underhood temperatures. I just need to know if my timing changes make things hotter or colder, etc. I'm more interested in Deltas than in true readings.

I wonder if I could do it in the exhaust also...

Or, this just came to me. Have a selection of silicon hose couplers, and have an egt in one of those....

-PHiZ
Old 10-09-2003, 07:28 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not drill a custmers mani! Deff put it right in the DP out of the turbo. It will be accurate enuf with a DYNO and a WIDEBAND! Then pug it up! Its now there for future tuning. Could get away with out removing the DP at all as long as there is no cat to clog (Drill Slow )
Old 10-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT probe, removable, for tuning cusomters cars? (si2die4)

What wideband are you using that allows you to output 0-1V?
Old 10-10-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: EGT probe, removable, for tuning cusomters cars? (beta13)

just about any of them.

Here is a good starting point:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=635792

-PHiZ

Old 10-10-2003, 03:18 PM

since your just looking for changes couldn't you clamp the probe against the manifold. For the most part you should get repeatable results.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what its worth, egt doesnt really help for tuning aid. I have never tuned a car off of an egt meter. I use them as a reference to make sure the thermal loading in the higher gears is in check, but there are to many variables with the timing to be able to use it accurately.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT probe, removable, for tuning cusomters cars? (beta13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beta13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What wideband are you using that allows you to output 0-1V?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My Techedge 1.5 gets used as my wideband and sends the narrowband signal to the ECU as well!!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:03 PM

Default Re: EGT probe, removable, for tuning cusomters cars? (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For what its worth, egt doesnt really help for tuning aid. I have never tuned a car off of an egt meter. I use them as a reference to make sure the thermal loading in the higher gears is in check, but there are to many variables with the timing to be able to use it accurately.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I meant really for safety, so you think I'm safe tuning &lt;10PSI cars, and NA cars with just the wideband. My tuning skills aside , but from a technical standpoint?

-PHiZ
Old 10-11-2003, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really do feel that if you have the timing on the distributor "flagged" or zero'd to what the ecu is set up for you'll have no problems at all. I am not a fan of running timing when tuning, so I usually pull a decent amount of timing from the maps to get rid of excess cylinder pressure. I also tune at 12:1 since with climate changes leaning out is quite easy. EGT's represent these changes, but its hard to differentiate between what the fuel and timing is doing individually. I like to think of tuning as running the least amount of timing to make power, if the engine isnt making good power there is a weak link in the parts. No matter how aggressive the tune is 10whp in timing is not worth the cylinder pressure.