Notices

Common problems with AEM PEMS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 01:03 PM
TheHater

Default Common problems with AEM PEMS?

What are common problems with this system. Even thing that are rumors. I would just like to know if its a quality system.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Common problems with AEM PEMS? (BOOSTINSI)

its high quality unit no doubt. The problem that most have is the complicated menus etc and weird settings. IT has so many featurs it overwelms the normal end user. its great system thouugh.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:31 PM
New User

Its a POS. There have been three software updates since it was released. 3!!! They are making their users do all the beta testing on it and the base maps suck.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:34 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Common problems with AEM PEMS? (GGrahnVI)

Its a POS. There have been three software updates since it was released. 3!!! They are making their users do all the beta testing on it and the base maps suck.
3!!! oh my. god no. not THREE!!!

Old 12-19-2002, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Common problems with AEM PEMS? (falc0n)

3!!! oh my. god no. not THREE!!!

Joe calm down we know its great system hehehehe...
Old 12-19-2002, 01:44 PM
New User

Default Re: Common problems with AEM PEMS? (b18bturbo)

If its so great, why have there been so many software revisions since its recent release? All the other manufacturers have managed to keep one, maybe two versions of software per year, more like per ECU design... something doesn't sound right here....
Old 12-19-2002, 01:46 PM
What is this crap?

If its so great, why have there been so many software revisions since its recent release? All the other manufacturers have managed to keep one, maybe two versions of software per year, more like per ECU design... something doesn't sound right here....
what isin't right is that you're correct. the system is still very much in beta. does it do everything it claims? yes. does everything work? yup. is it stable? yup. if you're looking for a plug it in and go without getting your hands dirty, try the unichip. there will probly be 3-5 more software revisions in the next year or 18 months. they keep adding features. traction control is available in 3.16 now. i dont know how well it works, i am not in the mood to test it out...

Old 12-19-2002, 01:59 PM

Umm you know that they are adding features and changing things per users feedback right ? That sounds pretty cool to me.

It's not like they put out some f'ed up product and now they're fixing it on the fly...I don't have it but I've read alot baout it and I'm on the EMS forums, like falc0n said it does what it's supposed to...I'd run it in a heartbeat
Old 12-19-2002, 02:06 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Common problems with AEM PEMS? (Prod)

For most people, i would recommend NOT running the very latest and greatest software. They released 3.16 last week and a few people jumped on it and got bit by an annoying install bug. they fixed it. i usually dont just throw every new piece of software they release (OR ANY COMPANY for that matter) especially on my car.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:10 PM
TheHater

But its a good system overall right? I plan on running 8-10 PSI on a stock B16 (for know) . Running the greddy TC Kit with the 24I/C. Ummmmm Does anybody know how the shift light works. Do you have to have a LapTop in your car or could you program a light or what?
Old 12-19-2002, 02:20 PM

Sounds like you may not be familiar with the AEM at all. I believe AEM Actually bought the design for the chip from ProEFI who has been around for a long time (John Shephard runs it). As far as the software goes, AEM does have a lot of versions, but I would rather do business with a company who is concerned about fixing its bugs then a company who lets theirs go for months at a time unresolved. Just my two cents.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Common problems with AEM PEMS? (MayhemSi)

I've been in the AEM offices, and they're always trying out new things with the EMS. That's why there are so many updates. If they just waited about a year or so between updates, then they could have one huge update. But they don't want that, they want everyone with the system to have the latest features they worked out.

About hooking up a shift light, what I did was have my CEL activate a couple hundred RPM before I shift. That way, I shift right after it turns on.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:02 PM
TheHater

Default Re: Common problems with AEM PEMS? (VerbalKint)

AWWWW. the cel ....genius. But you could always hook up another light to it. AM I correct?
Old 12-19-2002, 10:11 PM
What is this crap?

yes you can trigger another light with it

my CEL indicates SHIFT (rpm switches it on) or OVERBOOST (pressure too high)

so either way, if the light comes on, its time to get out of the gas and either get into the next gear if things are ok, or back off and see whats up.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:13 AM

aem ems is awesome

i am very very hapy w/ the results
Old 12-20-2002, 06:41 AM
New User

Default Re: Common problems with AEM PEMS? (MayhemSi)

Sounds like you may not be familiar with the AEM at all. I believe AEM Actually bought the design for the chip from ProEFI who has been around for a long time (John Shephard runs it). As far as the software goes, AEM does have a lot of versions, but I would rather do business with a company who is concerned about fixing its bugs then a company who lets theirs go for months at a time unresolved. Just my two cents.
I am familiar with GEMS, ProEFI, and Jason. That is another issue.

I know Shep runs it. If he can make it work for him, great.

I wouldn't touch that thing with a stolen dick. Its crap. Gimme a haltech.

You got problems cutting your wiring harness? Don't buy a stand alone, you have no business. You don't have access to a dyno? You have no business buying a stand alone.

A beta product should not be released to the public as a final product and then receive upgrades every other week. Microsoft wouldn't have ANY problems if they ran the way they are supposed to. Does windows do what it says it will? Yes. Is it stable? No. Does AEM do what it says it will? Yes. Is it stable? No. How can it be when your getting a patch or version upgrade all the time. Sorry ... that's the opposite...
Old 12-20-2002, 06:57 AM

A beta product should not be released to the public as a final product and then receive upgrades every other week. Microsoft wouldn't have ANY problems if they ran the way they are supposed to. Does windows do what it says it will? Yes. Is it stable? No. Does AEM do what it says it will? Yes. Is it stable? No. How can it be when your getting a patch or version upgrade all the time. Sorry ... that's the opposite...
Did you read my post at all ? If you know what I said to be un-true then just let me know...As far as I know what I said is correct.