Notices

catch can issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catch can issues

so im having this issues with my boosted b16. i made my own catch can with a filter on it and 2 bungs . i have it ran one hose from the back of the block another from the stock vc and the last one on the inlet of the turbo. but its sucking all of the oil out of the can. is there any way i can get around this ? maybe a different wat to run the catch can?

lmk thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Default Re: catch can issues

You might want to look into a drain back to the oil pan.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont hook it up to the inlet of he turbo dude ,thats whats sucking the oil out.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^
But if I do that ten I won't get a true positive crank case ventilation from what I have read, it's best to have a vacuum source sucking the air out especially under full boost, or is it just over kill?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need a drain back line...
With a large enough diameter line from the motor to the catch can you won't have issues.

If you don't have a drainback line and are running a line from the can to the turbo inlet then you're just going to suck all of the oil out of the motor
Old 11-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pressurize your PCV system you will actually force pressure back into the engine block.

Yes, a stock PCV system (all-motor) that does not see "positive" pressure, uses a vacuum to suck the crankcase pressure out and feeds it back though the intake system.

For any forced induction setup, you cannot do this. Any positive pressure going past the piston rings is enough air movement to vent on it's own without any "vacuum" help at all, given that the lines are large enough.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how would I be forcing pressure if its on the inlet pipe on the turbo my hoses are 1/2 inside diameter
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Oh wow
Maybe you shouldn't drive your car for like a week or two. It's clear you may not know what the catch can is for and how it may need to be setup. Just search it and you'll find what you need
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would it be best if I just hooked it up to the vc and forget a out connecting it to the inlet pipe? 2 on the vc and the bottom bung to the black box on engine block or buy that special freeze plug
Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMmadness
Would it be best if I just hooked it up to the vc and forget a out connecting it to the inlet pipe? 2 on the vc and the bottom bung to the black box on engine block or buy that special freeze plug
Since you are venting to atmosphere, you don't need a any type of vacuum source. The proper way to do that would be to use a slash cut tube facing away from the airflow anyways (intake or exhaust)

Just run two valve cover lines and one drain to the back of the block.

Can you post pics of the current setup?

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how would I be forcing pressure if its on the inlet pipe on the turbo my hoses are 1/2 inside diameter
I misread your first post, I thought it stated you had the (vac) line on the intake pipe (post) turbo. Which, in-turn would be pressurizing the PCV system.

My apologies.

Although having the (vac) line on the inlet to the turbo is no better. Why you want to contaminate the air-charge coming into the turbo. All that air is oil and fuel vapour. You want the cleanest most un-contaminated air-charge possible.

You can also scavenge the PCV vent to provide a pressure difference by angle feeding a vent onto the downpipe of your exhaust like stated above, (similar to older V8 Drag engine setups). Although its more practical to just vent to atmosphere.

Alot of us on here have been turbo-charging Honda's for many years. Instead of arguing with us, do what we tell you. You are concerned about an issue and we are providing you a simple solution.

/Thread
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 AM
im hench irl

Try running an "air/oil" separator on the hose between the catch-can and turbo inlet. Is your catch-can baffled? that can also help in keeping oil from being sucked into the turbo inlet line.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not trying to argue , just trying to get the best setup , ill try just vent to atmosphere would u run the drain back with that way ?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
im hench irl

I'm not trying to argue , just trying to get the best setup , ill try just vent to atmosphere would u run the drain back with that way ?
I currently have a hose connected to the valve cover that vents to the ground. The oem blackbox is on too but there is no hose connected, my car stinks.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The best setup I have found was to vent the valve cover to a catch can with a breather. I did run a hose from the catch can to the bottom of the car with the breather down there so there is no stink in the car.

The other thing I did was leave the stock PCV system in place but added an additional check valve to stop boost from over powering the stock PCV valve.

This way in normal driving out of boost the intake vacuum still pulls air through my check valve and stock PCV from the crank case getting all the nasty hydrocarbons out and keeping my oil from turning nasty and it keeps that stinky smell at bay because the air is been sucked from the catch can into the valve cover, through the block, through the PCV system and into the intake.

Under boost my check valve closes and all blow by vents out the valve cover to the catch can. Just like everyone else's on here. The big difference is when I get out of boost my PCV system comes back to life.

Here's a pic where you can see the check valve. Got it from McMaster-Carr

Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which check valve did you order
Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which check valve did you order
Their website does not allow linking directly with a URL but if you go here

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-check-valves/=k9fqdn

then click on "Quick-Opening Brass Check Valves" and you should see something like this

I think I got the 3/8" (sorry been a while). Make sure you get the one for gasoline. Notice blocks up to 1000 PSI of boost and only takes 0.3 psi to open. It opens so easily you can just suck on it with your mouth and it'll open and suck through very easily.
I got the female/female version and put brass barbs on from Lowes and fitted in line with of the factory PCV.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW - I never mentioned it above but you must keep your stock PCV valve in place and put the check valve inline with it. I attempted to completely remove the PCV valve and only use the check valve but then the car draws so much air from the crank case into the intake it acts like a vacuum leak and it idled at 1800 RPMs or so.

So the stock PCV valve actually works as an air flow metering device controlling the amount of air flowing to the intake in normal cruise and the check valve stops boost pressure from over powering the PCV and flowing air the wrong way when in boost.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have one on now just the hose from the black box to the catch can and a hose from factory port in vc , then to turbo inlet,
Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have one on now just the hose from the black box to the catch can and a hose from factory port in vc , then to turbo inlet,
Yeah I know. I was meaning if you want to change your configuration so you still have a functional PCV system like how I described in my first post.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If a catch can is properly baffled and has oil separator media running the top hose to the INTAKE of the turbo would work well.