Notices

car feels weak, turboed. need help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Question.....Help!

My Civic been feelin weak for a couple weeks now. Does anyone have any clues to this? One of my guy said that it may be leaking somewhere and not producing enough pressure. how do I know where it's leaking?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Question.....Help! (lookitzxai)

first look at the boost gfauge and see if there is a difference.

is the engine even mechanically sound? (low compression)

af/r change with weather? richer leaner?

too many variables.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

has it been hotter than normal the past couple weeks?

how long has the car been boosted at that setting?

generally, this is how it happens with me. 1) I get used to the boost and it feels slow all the time, even though it isn't.
2) In the heat of summer it is slower, just the nature of the beast (the beast being nature)
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 AM

I don't really notice the difference on my boost guage. I notice that when the engine is running, listening from the hood, there is a medium loud "pssst!" coming from somewhere. If it is a leak in pressure, i'm no sure exactly where it is located. How do I find out?

No "chimmike" it hasn't been hotter than normal the past couple weeks, at least I didn't notice anything weird.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

easiest way to check for a leak is create a pressure tester, pressurize the piping, and get some soapy water and spray the couplers.

where is the vac source for your boost gauge? It should be after the throttle body.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (chimmike)

if its hissin while its running, look for a vac leak with some tb and carb cleaner.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:44 PM

I noticed was that there was some kind of grease?oil? or something all around my blow-off valve.

Is black smoke coming from the exhaust bad? I tried reving my car today and i see just a bit of black smoke coming from the muffler. And at the muffler tip, there looks like black residue or whatever all around the tip and around the muffler and body area. Any clue on that?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lookitzxai)

sounds like you have blown the seals out of your turbo. check your oil level see if you are using oil. also pull the charge pipe off the turbo inlet and see if you have oil there.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo B18C EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo B18C EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like you have blown the seals out of your turbo. check your oil level see if you are using oil. also pull the charge pipe off the turbo inlet and see if you have oil there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you don't get black smoke from blown seals. You get black smoke from burning fuel. Sounds to me like it might be an internal issue if you're getting black smoke.

In my experience with cars, black smoke=very bad.

blown seals will be a white smoke with bluish tint.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 PM

one guy told me that black smoke is fine if you got a big exhuast or whatever. Blueish smoke is burning coolant or something. And white smoke is something else, can't remember... but man, that sucks.... can i take it to get a tune up and they'll know what to do right? I mean they deal with turbo and stuff right? with the really black smoke and the weakness of the car and all? does tune up cover that? or is it something else like just taking it to a local shop?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (lookitzxai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lookitzxai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't really notice the difference on my boost guage. I notice that when the engine is running, listening from the hood, there is a medium loud "pssst!" coming from somewhere. If it is a leak in pressure, i'm no sure exactly where it is located. How do I find out?

No "chimmike" it hasn't been hotter than normal the past couple weeks, at least I didn't notice anything weird. </TD></TR></TABLE>