Notices

Boost questions..fuel pressure, ign. timing, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost questions..fuel pressure, ign. timing, etc.

Hi, I recently put a turbo on my car and have a tune from the previous owner and it is the EXACT same setup, literally. I even have the original turbo, mani, downpipe combination that was on this exact car before he parted the kit and I found them from the guy he sold it to and bought it for a good price from the second guy. Well, the problem is that its not idling right and for some reason my boost gauge doesn't show that i'm building boost either, I'm hoping it just a faulty boost gauge and nothing more serious. What I've found out is that when I hold the rev at 2k and it'll stoop down to 800 then bounce to 2 then back down and so on. So my questions are as follows:

1.) I have a feeling part of the problem is the fuel pressure and ignition timing. Is there a way to check on the tune to find the base fuel pressure it was set at when tuned and what the ignition timing should be at? I can email the calibrations to whoever can help me if need be. I've checked everywere on the parameters and it doesn't give me a set pressure, it just shows how the ecu increases pressure with boost and so on. Same thing with the timing.

2.) My boost gauge is plugged into the throttle body where the old map sensor used to be. Is that a sufficient source for vacuum/boost?

3.) I have also revved up to rev limiter on idle, set to 6k, and can hear the turbo spool but when letting off the gas the BOV doesn't go off. The hose I've run to the intake mani is 7/16 which should suffice but the port I plugged it to is smaller. Would that cause a problem with it not opening?

My main issue right now is getting it to idle right. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:37 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boost questions..fuel pressure, ign. timing, etc.

1) what EMS are you running

2) I believe so. Does the gauge show vacuum when the cars on?

3) You wont build boost in neutral unless you have antilag

And you shouldnt try messing with the maps unless you know what your doing. Take it to a tuner
Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Increases Fuel pressure and Ignition timing? I believe you have no clue what you are looking at. There is a very high possibility your base timing is off amongst other things. Was the vehicle running PERFECTLY before you put the turbo kit on? There are many things that could be going on here aside from the tune. You should try to get someone that knows what thy are doing to go over the car with you.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
1) what EMS are you running

2) I believe so. Does the gauge show vacuum when the cars on?

3) You wont build boost in neutral unless you have antilag

And you shouldnt try messing with the maps unless you know what your doing. Take it to a tuner
1.) Hondata s300

2.) It only reads boost, I'm going to buy one soon that reads both. (bought gauge a long time ago when i was an even bigger noob)

3.) Makes sense i guess

And no, i'm nowhere near stupid enough to mess with ANY setting in the tune.

I can e-mail you the tune. It wont let me upload into this post as an attatchment.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just poat pics of the tables if you can. But nevaevasatisfied is right, id at least start by making sure your base timing is correct
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
Just poat pics of the tables if you can. But nevaevasatisfied is right, id at least start by making sure your base timing is correct
ok, will do tomorrow asap....and I know stock is around 42psi but I assumed that they must've tweaked it a bit as they tuned it. (a very reputable tuner)
Attached Images   
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wrong one?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1- you're not going to build boost in neutral.

2- get it retuned.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh, I changed the wires and its a little better. I think something fishy is happening with my ignition setup. Gonna trouble shoot that a bit.

Also, I took it down the street and and hit boost around 10psi i think but BOV still didn't open? Is my spring too heavy?