Notices

Anyone running an LS/VTEC turbos unbuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running an LS/VTEC turbos unbuilt?

Hey guys, I'm trying to do as much research as I can on ls/vtec turbos, especially unbuilt. I already know the basics and such, like keeping the stock redline, but I'd like in put from people who are actually running the setups. I have the turbo, but I'm trying to hit close to 300 without upping the boost to un safe levels. I figure with vtec head, and golden eagle im, I will get close. I'm going to have the head proffesionally installed by slomotion motor sports, which comes highly reccomended, so I know the actual head transplant will be right, but I want to talk with the people who have actually done it and get their impressions. How long have you guys had it? How reliable has it been for you? How much boost are you pushing and what are your numbers. I really don't want to hear from the guy who blew his stock ls/vtec revving it to 8500, since I will not be revving that high. How well does your car stack up to regular vtec turbos like the b16, b18c1, c5, k20s and such? Anything I should be aware of? I will eventually build the rest of the block, but the 1k I have right now, will get me everything I need to do the transplant, labor included, and seems to be best bang for the buck. Thanks guys.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone running an LS/VTEC turbos unbuilt? (Rooftop voter)

Also, do you guys see more power in the lower end with the vtec head? I'd figure you'd probably get a little more grunt on the low side because of the better flow.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's built and tuned right, it will be reliable. I don't see why you couldn't do at least 350whp on pump gas with a stock block LS/Vtec.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully. I'm shooting for 300whp. I'd be happy with that for a while.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rooftop voter)

i got a buddy with a b20/vtec, making 325 ran 11's.... been together for over 1 year and a half with minimal problems. but its been tuned
Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 PM

fms & ems is prime key

along with great tuning

that all = safe build even tho unbuilt
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone running an LS/VTEC turbos unbuilt? (b18sihatch)

Cool. My confidence is up now then. The guys who are gonna build it seem to know what they're doing really well, and seem to be able to tune on the money, so hopefully it'll be safe. The good news for me is that I usually baby it if I'm not racing or what not, so hopefully it's stay together for longer.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran my turbo kit on stock ls/vtec for ~2 months before i sold the kit, beat the car daily..

this is the thread from the build, but after this motor was taken out, the stock ls/vtec was placed in, the car then ran off wg spring pressure(11psi)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1549069
Old 03-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could easily make 300whp on the non-vtec LS, you just need more boost, which would mean a much larger midrange hump. The problem with with unbuilt LS-Vtec is that you could build a LS block for the same price. Putting on a vtec head after you build the bottom end is MUCH easier than the reverse. If you want to look at it another way, you could run a slightly bigger turbo & go with ball-bearings for the same price as the vtec conversion.

My point is that you want to upgrade the weakest link, which is the block. The worst thing a stock LS head can do at your target rpm/power is restrict flow. Worst thing an over-stressed stock LS block can do: bend/break a rod, toss it through the block, and make the piston kareen into/destroy your expensive vtec head.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Anyone running an LS/VTEC turbos unbuilt? (HiProfile)

I ran a LS/VTEC built by my all stock. i used the golden eagle LS/VTEC kit and it made the conversion a snap.

then i beat the **** out of it on motor a few months, then nitrous, then boosted it for over a year taking it to 8K DAILY.

it finally let go after 1-1/2 years while racing a GSXR down the highway, i hit 8K in 5TH gear (STUPID) but was hangin with the bike so stayed in it. spun a bearing and drove it home.

THE TUNE is the absolute most important, and uh not being like a quart low on oil and spinnin 8K in 5th too

the bottom end had been boosted TWICE before i got it at 90k miles and i put another 20k or so of boost miles takin to 8. where was takin to round 6.5-7k before and held 15lbs by the previous owner.

CLIFF NOTES: you should be fine.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: down the street,bythe river in the van, co, united states

wat do you do to lsvtecs to get even oil pressure to both the head and turbo??
Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone running an LS/VTEC turbos unbuilt? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could easily make 300whp on the non-vtec LS, you just need more boost, which would mean a much larger midrange hump. The problem with with unbuilt LS-Vtec is that you could build a LS block for the same price. Putting on a vtec head after you build the bottom end is MUCH easier than the reverse. If you want to look at it another way, you could run a slightly bigger turbo & go with ball-bearings for the same price as the vtec conversion.

My point is that you want to upgrade the weakest link, which is the block. The worst thing a stock LS head can do at your target rpm/power is restrict flow. Worst thing an over-stressed stock LS block can do: bend/break a rod, toss it through the block, and make the piston kareen into/destroy your expensive vtec head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but I can have the full ls/vtec conversion done for about 1k, maybe a little under. It's almost 3 times that to build the block. Trust me, that's what I would do to have peace of mind, but I just don't have the cash. If I run a bigger turbo, I'll have some really bad lag. I already don't like bieng at 4k when it comes on. Plus, from what I've been told, the vtec head will flow better in the lowend too, so I'll be able to exploit some more torque out of it before boost hits, which I hope will be enough to get a good lead on a stock block gsr turbo since I won't be revving as high.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did everythig but sleeve my ls/vtec and it was more than enough for any dd....