Notices

Air to water intercoolers. Looking on a definitive answer on efficiency.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air to water intercoolers. Looking on a definitive answer on efficiency.

Hey guys I have mildy built 89 Honda prelude. With lots of head work 70mm throttle body, yada yada, and a rebuilt stock bottom end. My question is this I am switching my turbo setup and have been seriously contemplating getting rid of my front mount and going with a air to water setup. My main decision for this is well it's what I did a lot of when I was doing mustang setups, and also it would conceal my setup. I just live in an area that seems to have issues with cars being hooked up mysteriously losing thier parts or go missing altogether, and would hate to see this happening, plus, from my experience on just a basic setup alone with heat exchanger and no ice added to the cooler seen some safe numbers pulled on V8 setups. I guess what I am looking for is has anyone on here used a air to water setup pushing 300+ and doing so with good results and reliability.

Kevin
Old 01-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Air to water intercoolers. Looking on a definitive answer on efficiency. (Reyke)

the efficency of an a/w setup has to do with alot of factors. first and formost is the air/water intercooler itself. HOw well it actually takes the heat out of your compressed air. second is how well you get the heat out of your cooling meduim which is water. third is building a system where it isn't going to heat soak from high under hood temps.

My experience is the larger the heat exchanger you run in the front to cool off your water the better off you will be. Better to excesively cool the water to ambient than to not take enough heat out. You need to get a good a/r unit too, the like a spearco unit: http://www.turboneticsinc.com/ic_liquidtoair.htm The other thing is you need to locate your unit far away from heat sources, and even try to build a box around it.

alot of people will say a/w isn't worth the problems, and that air to air will be more efficent. I think its all a matter of how you put together a system

though i can tell you from experience once the a/w unit is heat soaked it takes a while to get the heat out.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Air to water intercoolers. Looking on a definitive answer on efficiency. (prelittlelude)

I met a guy a few years ago with a twin turbo Pantera.He used a air/water intercooler using his ac system to cool the water.There was no were to mount a fmic on that car.He ran an Electro-motive standalone and it was setup to shut off the ac at like 70% throttle.The thing absolutely screwed.
You still have to mount a cooler somewhere on the car to cool the water in a street car.