Notices

Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car.

Time has come to sell my air/air set-up and piping to upgrade to a air/liquid set-up. My spearco core wont support more than ~400whp, and I dont feel like buying another core. My winter project has just been started, 500+whp (race gas) 2.0 gsr build-up and the air/liquid seems to be what i am looking for as far as intercooling. I am giving up my water/alky injection as well to run this set-up. I am using the KISS mentality for this project, this is going to be my daily driver and i need to have reliability.

I have been looking into the Vortech aftercooler kit that is available with their supercharger kits. I contacted Vortech and a price quote of 2000.00 retail for just the aftercooler kit. Its a complete, precise fitting kit and very well made. But for the price I know that i can make a superior kit with better parts, etc. Problem is that i dont know where to purchase the individual components that are required for the air/liquid set-up: heat exchager, water resevior, water pump, air/liquid intercooler. I would like to find out who makes the vortech air/liquid intercooler itself, the design and layout is so simple, exactly what i am looking for. It would require only 1 piece of 1.5 ft. intercooler piping.

I know that there is very few people in this forum that run the air/liquid intercooler set-up. I would like to know where to purchase the neccessary parts to complete such a kit. I have been searching on the net for the past few days to see whom i can buy the parts from, but i am unsure as to the quality of some of the parts (water pumps used for gardening, etc). I dont mind spending the money, only the best parts can be used in this kit.

[Modified by boosted hybrid, 2:21 PM 11/23/2002]
Old 11-23-2002, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (boosted hybrid)

I have a spearco air to water for sale in excellent condition for $400. this core fits in the same spot as the vortech and looks like its the same core. the part number is 2-231 i believe. same sized used on lisa kubos car.

a good place to buy the water pump from is marine supply stores. they sell the same pump as spearco/turbonetics except for a lot cheaper. i think its called a puppy pump or something.

to make the air to water ic's work you're gonna have to do some custom fab with the ic, but it shouldnt cost more than $100 from a skilled fabricator.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (SEFI8LOxCivic)

Does the core come with the endtanks, or does is it just the core itself? I am interested. Shoot me some pics of it. Keep it coming guys.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (boosted hybrid)

it comes with endtanks and all ill see if i can find my pic of it.

[Modified by SEFI8LOxCivic, 9:49 PM 11/23/2002]
Old 11-23-2002, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Search for posts created by earl with pwr in the title in the archives. If I remember correctly Sav Leone made some ridiculous gains when he switched from a spearco to a pwr core.

I used a 3 gallon fuel cell for my cooler and a giant trans cooler with an electric fan on it for the heat exchanger. The pump i'm using is the same pump that people have been using as an electric replacement with a dummy waterpump pulley. I'll see if I can find the pics of everything.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (racerxadam)

Search for posts created by earl with pwr in the title in the archives.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=285180

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=282992

I'll see if I can find the pics of everything.
Water pump Probably a little over kill.

Installed pic of my heat exchanger

Installed pic of the fuel cell. I don't really like the location but space is tight on the crx and I don't want it in the back. You can actually still sit comfortably in the passenger seat.

pic showing the core. Got it from Viren. I'm pretty sure it even came off the race car at one point.

[Modified by racerxadam, 5:25 PM 11/23/2002]

[Modified by racerxadam, 5:27 PM 11/23/2002]
Old 11-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (racerxadam)

Actually the pwr barrel intercoolers look awesome. As far as a heat exchanger goes, could i just use a large oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator? I only need a water resevoir now for the water. Any recommendations for a resevoir? How many gallon capacity? Also when do i need the water pump to circulate? Boost dependent or driver in cabin controlled switch?
Old 11-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't want to use a heat exchanger designed for oil which is the kind you find at summit or jegs. those arent very efficient for cooling water. the heat exchanger i like is made by setrab and you can get them at baker precision. a fuel cell without the foam about 3 to 5 gallons is good for a street car as a water reservoir. if you have a cooling fan on your heat exchanger id leave it circulating all the time. without a fan a switch would be good for the water pump.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (SEFI8LOxCivic)

[Modified by SEFI8LOxCivic, 2:33 AM 11/24/2002]
Old 11-23-2002, 05:37 PM

from a daily driver street car point of view is their any reason not to run an air/water intercooler everyday?

I am piecing together an turbo kit and t doesnt seem that the air/water isnt that much more expensive than a good air/air.. especially if you buy used...

would there be a benefit for low boost applications? like 7-14 psi t3/t04e 60trim?
Old 11-23-2002, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (Phoenix GSR)

i think the only down side is complexity. and you lose the "bling" factor if you're interested in that. the upsides are increased power, better response, less leg, more consistancy.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:36 PM

I am actually trying to stay away from the bling factor... my last turbo integra was stolen... cant deal with that again... no bling for me... also I think that painting it black has to affect the heat transfer..

the other thing is on the car that was stolen my ac didnt work too good.. I atributed it to the big front mount not letting enough airflow through to the condenser... none of the turbo integas I have ridden in have had a good ac.. living in Texas AC is a must for me
Old 11-23-2002, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (Phoenix GSR)

Spearco can supply you with everything. They can make the intercooler with the end tanks to your size and the inlet/outlet too. I have had them build stuff from cardboard templates I have sent them , and they are reasonable.
For a daily driver with that kind of HP you will need a good size cooler, even a small radiater out side the car.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car.

If you plan on drag racing in any competition events I would stay with a 3 gallon or smaller reserviour. I think the max allowed by the rules is 3 gal.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have plans for a liquid-2-air setup for mine.. with a trick reservoir.
Im thinking about waiting for PWR to come out with the heat exchanger and pump setup.. they make some good radiators so Im thinking the heat exchanger will be nice too..
Old 11-25-2002, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (Dublocivic)

After looking into the air/liquid set-up further I just dont think it is going to be right for my set-up. I have been taking dimensions of the engine bay, planning out exactly where everything would go. With the kits complexity the KISS factor is now gone, and the daily driver reliability is now lost. I think a big PWR air/air is going to be within my near future.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have contemplated that myself.. its going to come down to the $$ for me.. It will work with the setup that I am pondering but then I think hmmm it would be much easier to just slap that big bastard PWR air2air on and be done with it..?
the gains would be good with a 5 gal res packed with just enough water and the rest ice.. but its not like your going to see a difference between 525hp and 575 on street tires.. but it will definitely help at the track.
KISS would be air2air.

[Modified by Dublocivic, 11:15 AM 11/25/2002]
Old 11-25-2002, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (Dublocivic)

I hear you on the money aspect. For me its not so much the money, but the reliability involved with such a set-up. There is going to be problems, even though people will swear there are none. Bad water pump, leaks, etc is just not what i want to get involved with. If you price out the cost of all the components its actually about the same price, or a little bit more than an air/air set-up with the intercooler piping included.

My build up will be a 500whp street car with the Honda reliability intact. 400+whp on pump gas everyday and 500+whp on race gas at the track. I am going to stop using water injection altogether and just go with KISS. Everything that is non-essential has to go. I also need the money to do the fuel system (new fuel lines, rail, fittings, etc=mucho $), so selling some of my non essential items will give me some cash.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:16 PM

What is K.I.S.S.?
Old 05-20-2003, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (GODluvsLUDES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GODluvsLUDES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is K.I.S.S.?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep it Simple Stupid.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:41 AM
New User

Default Re: Help me design a air/liquid intercooler set-up for my car. (CzanSOHC)

And

L.I.A.R.

stands for

Leave It Archived Retard

I can't beleive this topic got bumped for that.