**OFFICIAL FORCED INDUCTION RANDOM CHAT THREAD**

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: **OFFICIAL FORCED INDUCTION RANDOM CHAT THREAD**

it can interpolate the adjustment of fuel/ignition base on % of ethanol. Its a global adjustment. So you can be at 1/2 tank of 91, top off on e85, and be fine. You'll need to adjust it as its blending (where the ECA gauge becomes handy) to create the correct adjustment for % of ethanol.
As you dont have complete individual maps for 91 and e85, you'll need to do some creative tuning to optimize for the fuel you primarily wish to run.
For instance, on 91 I'm on 13psi, on 65-85% ethanol I plan on running 16-17psi. So 13psi and under I'll keep my current fuel/ignition map settings, above 13psi, I tune it for what it needs on 65-85% ethanol. High boost/low boost still has to be triggered manually. Its kinda a give and take, but for someone like me, where the closest e85 station is 130+miles away, its a good option to have
Old 01-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope just read the faq. It simply compensates timing and fueling based on ethanol content
Old 01-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, no blending of 2 completely different maps.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
Gt2860rs, aka disco potato. You need a disco potato for your goals. Its smaller than the 2871 but will spool quicker and meet your power goals
i dont want smaller than 2871 )) ...i just want to know if i dont need bigger,like gt3071 ..maybe in future i will want more hp and i dont want to goo whit gt2860 like 30psi to get more power!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd go with the larger turbo and dial in the cams and tune to achieve the desired spool and powerband characteristics. You will regret going small and running out of turbine flow and end up battling high drive pressure and ridiculous reversion before you reach any type of future goal.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, nothing wrong with the 2871 for what you want. That, with a good valvetrain setup, and you should be happy.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Meh, nothing wrong with the 2871 for what you want. That, with a good valvetrain setup, and you should be happy.
should i goo whit 3' exhaust ?! or 2.5' will be good? and this turbo is ok for what i want? )) i know that this is china made http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Design-T3-T4-T04E-Turbo-charger-Oil-Line-Flange/290417176107?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Df797fbbf705c45369ce8676a1702bca8%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20131003132420%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D160808786325&rt=nc

Last edited by MishaMR; 01-06-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=MishaMR;50142041]should i goo whit 3' exhaust ?! or 2.5' will be good? and this turbo is ok for what i want? )) i know that this is china made QUOTE]

you could run a 2.5" straight thru if your externally wastegated. If internal, i'd recommend a full 3". Also if you plan on going bigger in the future, your exhaust wont become a restriction. Stock valvetrain will be more than sufficient. Ebay turbos are hit or miss. I'm actually running one similar to that on my del sol. 20k+ miles on the turbo, no issues. But eveyone will preach to you about ebay being crap. And admittedly some are. But the majority of people riding that train have had ZERO experience with ebay turbos and are just regurgitating what they read somewhere
Old 01-06-2015, 05:37 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt bother with any Chinese built or sold on eBay for that matter. I'll pay the extra money for peace of mind knowing that my setup isn't a ticking time bomb.

Look for either a Garrett or Borg Warner unit. If money is tight, find a used one in the marketplace

Egay turbo reliability (or lack thereof):
Old 01-06-2015, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly my point. No personal experience. They see a vid of one shrapneling and all are junk. Ive personally seen a much higher percentage of precision turbos crap the bed then properly setup ebay turbos. Then instead of being out a couple hundred dollars, you're out a couple grand. Borg warner by far the most durable and reliable, followed by holsets and true garretts. If you're gonna fork out a chunk of change, look into borg warner's efr line
Old 01-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by Boost4Breakfast
Exactly my point. No personal experience. They see a vid of one shrapneling and all are junk. Ive personally seen a much higher percentage of precision turbos crap the bed then properly setup ebay turbos. Then instead of being out a couple hundred dollars, you're out a couple grand. Borg warner by far the most durable and reliable, followed by holsets and true garretts. If you're gonna fork out a chunk of change, look into borg warner's efr line
Nope, no personal experience here and that's a point of pride. Also, the R&D that goes into these Chinese built knock-offs is laughable. For one thing, every good turbo will undergo fracture testing during its development (which the **** turbo in the video plainly failed) and having something that questionable under the hood is just not a good or even safe idea.

Saying that because we have no 1st hand experience makes us unable to comment on them is absurd. I have no first hand experience with sticking my head in a wood chipper, but would wager a bet that its a bad idea....no first hand experience required.

I agree with looking at Borg Warners. I used to run an S256 and loved it. Would recommend
Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look at all the hard R&D precision "did". That is laughable. After garrett gave them the boot for using garrett components then going behind garrett's back and tell everyone their turbos were superior, they didn't know what to do and started using chinese components that were garrett knock offs.
Its hilarious when I talk to people that spend thousands on a turbo, it takes a **** on them because all they think is more $$$= better quality, and the customer service department tells them its the person's fault for some absurd reason (they arent ASE cert, poor oiling, not "broke in" correctly).... I'm just saying weigh whether or not you can justify buying 2 of those turbos.
I got 20k on the ebay one on my del sol, ~5k hard miles on the one on my sand rail, 20+K on the one on my diesel (40+psi for over 2 years). Buddy has 15K+ on the one on his 600+whp 2.3 4g63, another has 10k with 2 on his 1000whp chevy truck..... the list goes on....
But if you'd like to spend close to $2000 on a turbo, have it last 5k miles then take a crap, then get denied "warranty" work, then buy another $1000+ turbo, Be my guest. I'll spend the money I saved on other projects
Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is, YOUR results are not typical. 90%+ of egay turbos **** the bed within days, months, or even, on first start up. Just because youve had good luck doesnt mean everyone will.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Man U FTW

I'm not here to stick up for Precision, but I would hardly lump them into the same category as the $75 "turbochargers" sold through Ebay. If you've had good luck with your knock-off, that's great - I hope it lasts. Maybe some brands are better than others, but i'm not willing to take that chance. Instead, i'll spend/waste my money on a Garrett/ Borg Warner unit.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im using a bw s480 on my 3.2vr6 audi build. Ehh, the majority of people installing ebay turbos in the past usually have no clue how an engine works lmfao. Ebay turbos can be related to hondas. Just cuz a group of guys made a bad name for hondas, most people consider them pieces of **** lol. And just google precision failures.... grab some popcorn.....
Old 01-07-2015, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Boost4Breakfast;50142064]
Originally Posted by MishaMR
should i goo whit 3' exhaust ?! or 2.5' will be good? and this turbo is ok for what i want? )) i know that this is china made QUOTE]

you could run a 2.5" straight thru if your externally wastegated. If internal, i'd recommend a full 3". Also if you plan on going bigger in the future, your exhaust wont become a restriction. Stock valvetrain will be more than sufficient. Ebay turbos are hit or miss. I'm actually running one similar to that on my del sol. 20k+ miles on the turbo, no issues. But eveyone will preach to you about ebay being crap. And admittedly some are. But the majority of people riding that train have had ZERO experience with ebay turbos and are just regurgitating what they read somewhere
Thanks! i want to goo whit external gate,and will put 2.5' exhaust(for me it not a problem later to put 3' if i will need) .If i not find a good deal whit used garrett,bw or something like dis i will goo whit ebay turbos! One more what wastegate will be batter 38 or 44 ?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

44mm would be more ideal if you are wanting to run a smaller exhaust housing turbo in order to regulate boost more accurately. But with you set-up I think a good 38mm will be ok. I'm running a 38mm and dont have issues. Its also dependent upon what turbo manifold you are using.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 AM

Why did you even bring up Precision? No one is talking about Precision. No one WAS talking about Precision. You were. Rare few people around here would recommend Precision turbos, because most of us know what we're talking about, so stop trying to put words in our mouths to "win" the argument.

For 350+, I'd run a 3" exhaust.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats to you. I originally brought up Precision to compare them against ebay turbo and the R&D that was put into each. You're not taking into account exhaust flow or wasetgate placement in your "350+ 3" exhaust" statement. But that's what you'd run.

So, you win? High five to you sir! Are we besties now? pretty please
Old 01-07-2015, 12:17 PM

Ever heard a facetious argument? Masked Man Fallacy? We're talking A vs B, and you're talking Z vs B. No one cares about Z.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess reading comprehension isnt one of your strengths. MishaMR posted that he is considering using an ebay turbo. I reference my own experiences with ebay turbo chargers. Schister66 brought up that ebay turbos made in China are complete garbage and that he'd pay more money for quality. I referred to the fact that a ton of precision turbos were made of Chinese components and cost hundreds of dollars more, in order to give perspective his statement. Then the debate between comparing precision to ebay started.
Would you like me to hold your hand through any other posts? I dont mind
Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 PM

Yes. You used what is called a "Masked Man Fallacy" to support your argument. You could not use your point's own merits, so you had to outsource and bring in something irrelevant. Knockoff parts are bad. Period.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My point's own merits? Please read before you post. I gave many real world examples of personal experiences with ebay turbos... And other people just regurgitate what other people wrote about a particular subject. But, alas, some people are just sheep.
But your accusations carry so much weight and legitimacy, and your posts were so helpful. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:19 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Alright children... I've been itching to bitchslap someone lately lol. I'd hate to have to start deleting posts in here or temporarily/permanently lock this thread .

That being said from what I understand at the moment precision is using Turbonetics based components and/or their foundry for turbine wheel stuff. Not sure who's doingthe compressor wheels. I have a clue friend who used to do marketing for precision so I've got an insider of sorts. Still trying to get info from them to try and explain the current state of the company and they products.

While they aren't as bad as the eBay turbos yet their customer service is worse than eBay and PayPalcombined. Even the Chinese turbo companies are better and faster at warranting and replacing their shitty products.

Also there's not much of a gap between the 2871 and 3071. Only difference is the 3071 uses the larger gt30 turbine wheel. The 2871 is limited by mass turbine wheel flow (regardless of how large the housing is) to around 420-430whp.

If you are debating a 3071 I would pick up an EFR7163. In testing they've consistently responded quicker, made more lowend and midrange torque/power at the same pressure ratios, have less pre-turbine backpressure, had better transient response and between shift recovery times (thanks to the Titanium Aluminide mixed flow *not radial like literally every other turbo on the market* and seriously beefy ceramic bearing assembly), all the while only making 15-20hp less at the very top of the rpm range than the 3071.

Every time I show someone the rest dynos I don't trek then which line is which turbo and once they see that it produces more torque and power everywhere but the very top they all pick the7163 lol and theygetshocked when I tell them it's not the Garrett.

The other upside is the 7163 compressor wheel has a very broad efficiency range and a very high pressure ratio limit and it has a mass flow limit of 60lb/min. Now we know due to the 63mm turbine wheel that you'll never get the full capabilities of the wheel but shouldn't be impossible with an efficient setup. No-one but BorgWarner really knows the turbine wheel mass flow limit.

I know the 2014 Indy cars running twin 7163s made 575-675hp at 1.3bar-1.6bar out of a 2.2l v6 that runs e85 (the 15% is an unspecified "race gas") with an rpm limit of 12,000-12,200rpm. Unsure what size turbine housing they are using though. Without limitations on fuel type, boost pressures,total ignition timingand mass fuel flow this motors could easily make way more power. They are only starting to get into the efficiency/shaft speed sweet spot of the turbos.

I have a feeling that one prior start making tons of responsive power the 7163 will become the next gt30r. Hell the STi guys swear by it. Only spools 300-400rpm slower than the stock IHI vf39 but makes 400awhp at the same pressure levels.

But that's just my opinion. I plan on stirring the pot here once I get the 7163 on my high compression, ***** out 2 liter motor. Just remember the 7163 and all EFR turbos are very anti-lag friendlydue totheturbine wheel material and strong bearing system... Hint hint ��
Old 01-08-2015, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The price of 7163 not for my car and my setap i dont undestand for wat people spend soo much money for turbos whit setaps like mine ...just turbos costs like wall engine and somethimes wall the car

Quick Reply: **OFFICIAL FORCED INDUCTION RANDOM CHAT THREAD**