Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Delsol LEAKING ROOF fix for cheap. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Two Piece

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Delsol LEAKING ROOF fix for cheap. PICS

For those that remember I posted a thread awhile ago asking about the roof leak problem and what I could do to fix it.

Every time it would rain/wash car and I would take a left or right turn, water would come out from the sun visors. So I took off the visor on the left side first and lowered the panel and this is what I find..

Name:  IMG_0437.jpg
Views: 10651
Size:  49.6 KB

I then lift the weather stripping and find this..

Name:  IMG_0438.jpg
Views: 15096
Size:  59.3 KB

Now I wasent gonna spend the time/money to fix this the "Right" way. Which would consist of cutting it out and welding new metal. I cleaned off the rust as much as I could with some sandpaper. I went and got Spray Foam. I basically just filled the rust spot with the foam.
Name:  IMG_0440.jpg
Views: 8139
Size:  48.8 KB
Now, spray foam is supposed to let settle and harden for a few hours. So what I did was sprayed the area and took a knife or anything to scrap off the excess foam (because it expands greatly) Now when there wasent as much foam, I put the weather stripping back on. Why do this? Because when the strip is back on and the targa top is back in, the pressure will make the foam squeeze into the spots that need to be filled.

When all is back together, let the foam dry for a full day before driving in rain/testing to see it works.

I know this isn't the correct way to do this but this has worked for me and has not leaked since i have done this. Been leak free in that spot for almost 4 months now. All I gotta do now is fix the damn window leak on driver side

NOTE: This does not fix the window seal leak. Only fixes the leak on top. Check passenger side as well.

Hope this helps for you guys. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Do not PM. Ask in the thread

Kev

Last edited by Go_Race_Your_Self; 12-04-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Delsol LEAKING ROOF fix for cheap. PICS

Wow, i mean not to be mean, but i mean... I'd be better if you just spot drilled and removed that section and replaced the metal overall to original. Best way to fix the rust imo. That foam was not intended to be used for that. It was made for insulating homes. But each to his own, i hope no one tries this method as a last resort.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Two Piece

Originally Posted by EggK
Wow, i mean not to be mean, but i mean... I'd be better if you just spot drilled and removed that section and replaced the metal overall to original. Best way to fix the rust imo. That foam was not intended to be used for that. It was made for insulating homes. But each to his own, i hope no one tries this method as a last resort.
You obviously didn't read the whole post. I clearly stated saying that I know its not the right way to fix this. Also, spray foam works for filling in gaps and its water resistance. It says so right on the can. This thread was also just to show the cause of a leak that some delsol owners might experience. That way, they can check to see if their is the same way and can fix it the way they want or try this. You cant beat a 5.00 fix.

Kev
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I woudn't have even posted this. So many different and better ways to have handled this.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Two Piece

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I woudn't have even posted this. So many different and better ways to have handled this.
O well. I made a thread asking if there were any ways to fix this and every ones idea was **** and didnt work. This worked and still is working.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 AM
The Grumpiest

Good for you. I also don't recall you posting any pics showing this damage either. You might have gotten better suggestions.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/93-del-sol-leaking-roof-2824721/
Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Two Piece

Good job. I also recall that thread talking about the WINDOW SEAL on driver side. Nothing about sun visors. The sun visor was a new leak that happened after the window leak.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have used glue and tin foil...
Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 AM
The Grumpiest

Sorry, you referenced the last post. Irregardless. You should have gotten a dremel, cut out the rust and bent some thin aluminum and used JB weld as a patch. This is just plain lazy. I really dislike half-assed work.
Originally Posted by Go_Race_Your_Self
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Two Piece

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
This is just plain lazy. I really dislike half-assed work.
I agree. I went for the easy fix. Simple as that. It works, you cant see it. Im not picky about that. Now when the car gets new paint, yes, it will be done right. For a delsol with 215xx on the body and this is the only rust spot on it, Im not gonna go all ape ****.