Wheel and Tire

Looking for tire suggestions other than azenis

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for tire suggestions other than azenis

I've been using azenis for years now and i want to try something different. Grip is a priority to me, and my car is a daily driver. I like the price of the azenis and tread life is acceptable, its expected for a tire in that grip range but i'm getting tired of them and want to try something else.

What tires have you guys used that are comparable to the azenis in price and grip? The only thing is i do NOT want to go with a tire that grips less than the azenis. any recommendations?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking for tire suggestions other than azenis (DC4R27)

The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec grips even better than the Azenis and is only a little bit more expensive.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE01R grips even better than the Azenis but is a lot more expensive.

Toyo recently came out with the R1R that should be similar or better in performance; I'm not sure about prices. Kumho has talked about their new Ecsta XS but it's not available yet.

You didn't mention what kind of car this is going on, or what size you need. If it's for an Integra, the Star Spec is available in 195/55-15, and the RE01R in 205/45-16. The R1R website says that 195/55-15, 205/50-15, and 205/45-16 are coming soon.

Modified by nsxtasy at 12:58 PM 5/19/2008
Old 05-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Looking for tire suggestions other than azenis (nsxtasy)

thanks nsxtasy for your input. those sound like very good choices. im running 15x7 slips on my dc4, 205-50-15 azenis.

have you tried the Nitto NT-01's? ive always wanted to try those, but they are like 130 ish a piece which is sort of a lot for me and i dont know first hand but they seem like they will grip much better too than the azenis. what about hankook rs2's? how do those compare to the aforementioned tires?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
H-T Order of Merit

The Nitto NT-01 is an R compound track tire (and a pretty good one). Track tires are great for the track, but not very good for the street. Not only will they wear faster than the Azenis (you might only get 5K street miles to a set), but they also need to get warmed up to be effective, and they won't get sufficiently warmed up on the street. So I wouldn't recommend those.

The Hankook R-S2 Z212 is not as sticky as the Azenis on dry pavement (although they're slightly better in the rain and they'll last a tad longer, but not all that much).
Old 05-20-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Looking for tire suggestions other than azenis (nsxtasy)

nice... i might try those star specs out then, they sound like just what i was looking for. thanks.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about the BFGOODRICH G-FORCE T/A KDW TIRES... more $$ than the falken but they are very nice......300 treadwear. traction AA temp A....
Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Looking for tire suggestions other than azenis (K20DC2R)

I've always wanted to try bridgestone, but they're pricey. Goodyear shredded on me once falkens are more performance than durability, Toyo's are the SH^$ for both worlds, and kumho is like a cheaper version of toyo's , Kumho FTW
but toyo is what you want for grip, tests show michelin to perform best, though, where do you live? If it always rains, you probably want a rain performance tire y'know

Modified by acmoc at 8:39 AM 5/25/2008
Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Looking for tire suggestions other than azenis (acmoc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K20DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about the BFGOODRICH G-FORCE T/A KDW TIRES... more $$ than the falken but they are very nice......300 treadwear. traction AA temp A....</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're WAY overpriced, and they're not a supersticky tire like the Azenis, either. Their performance is similar to tires like the Kumho SPT and Fuzion ZRi, longer-lasting tires for those who aren't looking for the ultimate grip. But the KDW costs about twice as much.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acmoc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've always wanted to try bridgestone, but they're pricey. Goodyear shredded on me once falkens are more performance than durability, Toyo's are the SH^$ for both worlds, and kumho is like a cheaper version of toyo's , Kumho FTW
but toyo is what you want for grip, tests show michelin to perform best, though, where do you live? If it always rains, you probably want a rain performance tire y'know</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, you sure don't know much about tires, huh? Just about every tire manufacturer makes tires for different purposes - sticky tires for best performance, longer-lasting tires for practicality and value, all-season tires for versatility in summer and winter, etc. Your broad generalizations about brands are deceptive and invalid; each brand makes some tires that perform better, etc, different tires for different purposes.