Notices

Broke this at work, which bolt "material" is strongest against bending

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broke this at work, which bolt "material" is strongest against bending

Basically I was helping out at work set up some weird pogo devices that are meant to hold 2/0 gauge machine charging wires off the floor, and to connect the wires to the machine you bend the pogo. Well we bent 3 of them to far, and they stayed bent lol. Opened the "pogo" up and there is what Im going to describe as 3" of 7/16" threaded rod with a THICK eyelet on the top, all one piece, appears to have been billet/turned.

We cant find them anywhere to buy, so the boss asked me to remake them, basically I want to cut the eyelet off the top of the broken pieces, and weld it ontop of the hex of some bolts that I will purchase.

The bolt gets double nutted with the eyelet sticking up a few inches, and a very strong spring attaches in the eyelet and puts a lot of side force on the threads when you bend it.

What material of bolt would be best suited to not bend/snap under this kind of load?

Thanks!!
edit: quick google search, looks similar to this biggest black one

Old 06-02-2015, 04:42 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Broke this at work, which bolt "material" is strongest against bending

You are posting pictures of rod ends. Do you need eyebolts? I guess I am not sure why you can't find replacement parts. Do you have a picture of the actual "eyelet bolt" you are bending? They make forged eyebolts or having something machined and treated, but this setup sounds rather basic.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broke this at work, which bolt "material" is strongest against bending

Couldnt tell ya its specific name, it came in the hardware with the unit. We need it for tonight and we tried fastenal, brafasco and they couldnt help

Im going to the store right now since I need it for shift shart and Im just going to grab the highest grade bolt they have and weld this eyelet ontop of it
Old 06-02-2015, 05:28 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Like I said, that is a rod end. You have a solid rod end... not to be confused with swivel / rotary / spherical / heim joint rod ends. The one you posted looks like cheap junk straight off the boat and not like real forged ones I have worked with.

Rod Ends - Bolts - Grainger Industrial Supply

Rod Ends - Rod End Distributor | U-Bolt-It, Inc.

McMaster-Carr
Old 06-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh this kit was definitely straight off the boat, unfortunately we still cant get replacement from any of those companies in canada. Made this today, just simply fluxcored the end onto the head of a grade 8 M12 bolt, put a die down the threads and threaded it all the way (you can see the color change, I hade to thread over 2") and gave it a minute under the wire wheel.... good enough, boss was happy

Old 06-03-2015, 04:39 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Well that's good you made a work around, I am just suprised none of those places stocked them. Oh well...
Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if incorrect but I am pretty sure grade 8 M12 bolts do not exist. Grade 5/8/etc are SAE ratings. You may have bought a comparably rated DIN rated metric bolt, but it is not an SAE rated fastener.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Said grade 8 on the bin, bolt head was stamped 8.8

Not sure, tested it earlier, doesn't flex at all were even the unbent ones ones are visually flexing, boss will probably have me do all 25 of them

Cheers guys
Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.fastenermart.com/html/gradeclass.html

About equiv to grade 5.

8.8, 10.9 etc are metric ratings. SAE ratings are identified by hashmarks on bolt head.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:28 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Yes, basically they translate roughly (sometimes identical) to this below. There are more but these are the common ones:

Class 4 = Grade 2
Class 8.8 = Grade 5
Class 10.9 = Grade 8
Class 12.9 = Grade L9

So your original rod ends were probably Class 4 / Grade 2 or worse.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Number of different names. Mcc sells them as "flattened- end hanger bolts/screws"

Spade bolts
Flat eye bolt

You can get them online in different alloys from wenco.

Spade Bolts - Wenco | Wenco Mfg. Inc.

Definitely not a rod end by any means.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:05 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Yeah, all those bolt suppliers have it wrong. You better e-mail them so they can correct themselves on the double! Good looking out!!!
Old 06-05-2015, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
Yeah, all those bolt suppliers have it wrong. You better e-mail them so they can correct themselves on the double! Good looking out!!!
What?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well here is a handy online resource that is pretty damn close to my astm manual.

Bolt strengths

You can do a few things with the numbers to figure axial stress a bolt can handle. Since a bend compresses and stretches in the same motion you cannot just use tensil strength for a good measure.

So..... Going back to what I said about the particular part in question.... It is not a rod end. By design rod ends are "supposed" to be stronger at the head than at the thread. Bolts and screws are not by design.

Bolts and screws function with tensile and shear loads. They fail axially. Rod ends function with tension and compression. Also fail axially. Hardware is generally grouped with what specific astm they pertain to... Explains why spade bolts would not be associated with rod ends in a catalog. So there is no reason to email anyoneon the subject. Two completely different parts for different uses.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Best material to use if your work around fails.... Order a forged rod eng and machine the end to match the spade bolt.