Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

broken bushing bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken bushing bolt

i just tried to change my springs today. the two front was easy as pie. but the back was freaken hard. i broke the bushing bolt that holds the shock and spring to the controll arm. now i can't get the rest of the bolt out. supper rusted. im saying its never been worked on since 1994, when the car was born. well anyways has this happen to anyone. and dose anyone know how to get the rest of the bolt out??? thats just one side. probably gona be the same thing for the other side also.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:27 PM

Default Re: broken bushing bolt (cyang08)

Man, that happens to almost every Honda we work on here in Ohio, lol. The bushing is made up of three parts. A thin outer sleeve, a rubber insert and a thicker metal sleeve that the bolt goes through. Ultimately, the bolt gets fused to this sleeve. What I normally do is cut the bolt in half on either side of the inside of the shock mount, so you can save the shock if you want. Then, I drill multiple holes in the rubber (or use a torch) so I can get the inner metal piece out. Once I have that out, I try to cut a slit in the outer part of the bushing so I can use a screwdriver and a hammer to tap it out. Obviously, the bushing will be destroyed, so you will have to replace it with a new one. If you clean out the hole in the control arm real good and heat it up some, you should be able to drive the new bushing back in with a little help from a hammer. Some people will even go as far as putting the new bushings in the freezer for a couple of hours and heating up the control arm, whatever works for you. Also, if your trying to reuse your rear shocks and you cut off the bolt, part of it will still be stuck in the nut portion of the shock...you will need to cut the nut off of the shock and clean out the hole and then just use an appropriate new bolt/nut when reassembling. I think it takes about 1 1/2 hours to do both sides using this method, more or less depending on the tools you have available. Might even want to put some anti-seize on the shank of the new bolt to help in future dissassembly.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does the tube inside the bushing hold the threads also?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: (cyang08)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cyang08 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the tube inside the bushing hold the threads also?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, there are no threads on the inside of the busing. It is just a poor design that after time, the two pieces fuse together.