Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Freshly rebuilt transmission not staying in reverse - S40B000

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freshly rebuilt transmission not staying in reverse - S40B000

Hey everyone.

I recently had my S40B000 d16 transmission rebuilt. It already had a Quaife LSD. I've installed an MFactory 3rd and ZC 5th and used the Synchrotech Carbon Synchro rebuilt kit.

The mechanic that's reinstalling the transmission said that it will not stay in reverse. He said:

"The reverse gate seems blocked. You can get reverse idler to engage slightly by keeping pressure on the shifter in the reverse position, but the shifter will return to neutral the moment you take your hand away."
"But even then, reverse idler barely engages the gears on the main/counter shaft."

He suggested that perhaps the idler was installed incorrectly.

I contacted the gentleman that rebuilt the transmission for me. He said:

"Remind him no lube has been run in unit. And have to use what your new synchro call for." - not sure what this is exactly. I need to look that up.

He also said:

"New synchro have material on them and with no lube will be stiff. The lube I put on prob ran off by now"

Regarding the idler, the transmission tech said they can go in "either way". My mechanic isn't so sure.

Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Freshly rebuilt transmission not staying in reverse - S40B000

Idler gear can't go either way and the S40 does not have a reverse synchro. If it does not test shift properly on the bench in all gears prior to installing it in the car, it needs to come apart to see what is assembled wrong.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Synchrotech-Transmissions
Idler gear can't go either way and the S40 does not have a reverse synchro. If it does not test shift properly on the bench in all gears prior to installing it in the car, it needs to come apart to see what is assembled wrong.
Great info. I'll pass this onto the rebuilder. Looking forward to testing the transmission with your hardware in it.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just heard back from the transmission tech. He confirmed that the idle gear was installed correctly and acknowledges that there is no synchro for the reverse gear.

He suggested that if one of the other synchros are sticking it may make it hard to shift.

Would regular usage of the transmission eventually resolve the issue of this is in fact the problem? Is there a "break-in" period suggested with this rebuild kit?

Thank you.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A synchro would not affect it staying in reverse. Reverse in engaged on this trans when the shift fork linkage moves the reverse fork to engage the idler gear (no synchro is involved here on the S40 trans). If it does not test shift properly on the bench in all gears including reverse, it needs to come apart to see what is wrong.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Synchrotech-Transmissions
A synchro would not affect it staying in reverse. Reverse in engaged on this trans when the shift fork linkage moves the reverse fork to engage the idler gear (no synchro is involved here on the S40 trans). If it does not test shift properly on the bench in all gears including reverse, it needs to come apart to see what is wrong.
Thanks again for the response. I forgot to mention in my previous post the rebuilder advised that he did bench test it and at the time there were no issues.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was speaking with my mechanic this evening. He said the transmission shifts into 1-5 as it should. Reverse feels as though there is something physically or mechanically preventing it from going into the gate. He said he will test the linkages once more this weekend but failing that he will have to remove the transmission so I can take it back to the rebuilder to get it sorted out.

Not too impressed... But needs to be done.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the problem has been resolved.

I had the transmission taken out and brought it to the tech that rebuilt it. He was able to diagnose the problem and fix it within a matter of minutes. Turns out one of the detent ***** had moved and was out of place.

Now I'm just waiting to have it installed again and see if it'll stay in reverse now.