Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Type R transmission; 3rd gear engagement issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Type R transmission; 3rd gear engagement issue

I just bought a 1998 civic with a B18C1 and a Type-R transmission this weekend and noticed an issue on the way back home. When shifting, third will sometimes not fully engage. It will start into the gear, but stop short. When depressing the clutch pedal, it will pop back into neutral. I've had a car with bad synchros and it would still go into gear, but it would grind on the way in - it's not like that at all, so I'm not sure that it would be the synchros. It is similar to what my 1998 HX occasionally does when going into reverse - if I put it into another gear and then retry, it will go in a majority of the time.

The previous owner said that this Synchrotech kit was installed along with a Synchrotech LSD. It also has a B&M short shifter.

There is a little side to side play in the shifter and very minimal back and forth. I plan to install poly shifter bushings to tighten it up, but I don't know that this would correct the 3rd gear issue.

Any ideas?

P.S. I just noticed that I joined in 2009 and this is my first post, lol.

Last edited by ONe21; 11-05-2015 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Type R transmission; 3rd gear engagement issue

Its likely the dog teeth on 3rd gear is also bad and/or the spring that holds the gear in is bent.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would a bent spring prevent it from going into gear? I don't think it is falling out of gear, it seems like it is never making it into 3rd. Also, if the dog teeth are chewed up then I would need to replace 3rd gear because they are all one piece right? I'm not transmission savvy. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ONe21
Would a bent spring prevent it from going into gear? I don't think it is falling out of gear, it seems like it is never making it into 3rd. Also, if the dog teeth are chewed up then I would need to replace 3rd gear because they are all one piece right? I'm not transmission savvy. Thanks for the help.
yes to both of your questions but you'll never really know until you get it open and can see the problem with your own eyes.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I'm not too savvy with transmissions and though I would love to dig in, I've found myself without time lately. I have a stock Gsr transmission available to me for $400 and I've debated buying and installing that and rebuilding the Type-R as I have time.

My other option is just to take the car in and have the Type-R rebuilt. My uncle works at a shop that has an awesome reputation and they quoted me between $800-$1200 depending on what they replace.

They said that the 4th gear synchro is on its way out (grind in downshift) and third gear is chewed up from what they can tell.

I didn't ask what parts they use, but I'm assuming it would be OEM quality parts. I don't foresee having the car on a track so I think that will get the job done.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**UPDATE**
I finally found the time to take the 3 hour drive to my uncle's shop to have my car worked on. They opened it up and found that the issue was bent shift forks. Fortunately, the Synchrotech hardware looked new and the clutch and flywheel were in good nick as well. The total cost was $750 out the door and the car shifts like a dream now. Thanks for the help.