Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Continued transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continued transmission

Just had transmission rebuilt, 2 wks later it went back because it was slipping, they said it had a bad solenoid. When I picked it back up and drove 3 miles down the road in traffic I let up on the gas slightly and when I accelerate it vibrates and bangs if I step harder it stops. It does this only when I'm going 20-45mph.brought it back to Transmission place and they say transmission is fine please help!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Continued transmission

Yr/Mk/Model?
Old 10-18-2014, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow I haven't seen a troll hunt come on so fast before in a very long time....

Check fluid level, and recheck.

Need to know what unit and what gear it does this in.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a 98 Honda CR-V, this occurs between 20-45mph. Whenever I let up on the gas without stepping on the brake and step on the gas to speed up it clanks and vibrates unless I slam on the gas it's not as bad. They had to replace the solenoid and fix the axle seal leak. When I picked it up this started.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why was it rebuilt? Are you sure it was rebuilt and not replaced? What was included? New clutches? new converter? What fluid was used?

In what gears from 20-45? 2, 3, and 4 are possible at that speed. If it is gear specific you have a gear related problem, IE leaking piston/apply circuit. If this problem can be replicated in all gears, suspect an oil pump output problem or poor pressure regulation.

The torque converter is notorious for breaking apart internally and cause the symptoms you describe. A shudder/clank can usually be heard with slight throttle pressure at highway speeds as well.

"The solenoid" refers to which solenoid?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:18 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why my CRV also go a reman. convertor when it was rebuilt.

I'd go to a different shop for a second and maybe third opinion before the 30 day warranty is up. Was the shop a ATRA shop?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Its not a rebuild if they just replaced a bad solenoid.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mista Bone
Was the shop a ATRA shop?
HA!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:46 PM
D Tranny Guru

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
HA!!!
It helps, esp to go for a second opinion and if the rebuild is deemed not proper, ATRA will reimburse the other shop for the repairs.

Local sloppy shop went under, ATRA "fixes" came to a buddy's shop I would help at once in a while, same shop that rebuilt my CRV tranny...and it didn't go as planned the first time.

Mind you all the steels were toasted....
Old 10-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
Why was it rebuilt? Are you sure it was rebuilt and not replaced? What was included? New clutches? new converter? What fluid was used?

In what gears from 20-45? 2, 3, and 4 are possible at that speed. If it is gear specific you have a gear related problem, IE leaking piston/apply circuit. If this problem can be replicated in all gears, suspect an oil pump output problem or poor pressure regulation.

The torque converter is notorious for breaking apart internally and cause the symptoms you describe. A shudder/clank can usually be heard with slight throttle pressure at highway speeds as well.

"The solenoid" refers to which solenoid?

Yes it was a rebuilt. At least according to the garage and the receipt as far as what was replaced and rebuilt. One of the things supposedly rebuilt was the Torque Converter. Including the original time when they did the rebuilt it has been back an additional 4 times and looks to be like it will be returning for a 5th. I took it for a 2nd opinion and that mechanic who specializes in Transmission told me that the Torque Converter is locking up.

So far they rebuilt the tranny (trip 1), replaced the catalytic Converter, axle seal leak (trip 2), replaced bad Solenoid and fix axle seal leak again (trip 3), replace axle which they believed was causing issue with axle seal and bent exhaust to stop noise when it vibrates (trip 4)

They say the noise i was hearing was a combination of the exhaust vibrating and the tail pipe hitting something and that the vibration is because there is a random misfire in cylander 3. He claims that they scanned the transmission and it's running perfectly. We told them that we had a 2nd opinion done and they told us it was the Torque Converter locking up. this mechanic disagrees and claims transmission is fine that it's the misfire.

Well it looks like the axle seal is still leaking... and we took care of the misfire which we knew was not the problem. The car downshifts but not fully. You can feel it down shift when you let up on the gas but if you step on the gas it doesn't want to go and makes the noise like gears are hitting. Which according to the other mechanic is the torque converter. It's locking in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear and even though we feel it down shift it isn't fully downshifting like it should.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mista Bone
Why my CRV also go a reman. convertor when it was rebuilt.

I'd go to a different shop for a second and maybe third opinion before the 30 day warranty is up. Was the shop a ATRA shop?
Yes the shop is an ATRA shop. I will need to look into this because all i'm getting from the original shop is the run around... I didn't have the leak issue that i can't seem to get fixed that i have now and the transmission is still not shifting right. He wants me to believe it's a misfire that is causing this and it's not. I've driven with a misfire before. I know how my car ran. I also know that on the 3rd trip when they said I had a bad solenoid it didn't make this vibration and noise before they replaced that and I had the misfire then. But trying to tell him that is a different story. Even with my father standing there he talks to me like i'm some dumb chick who doesn't know how to drive. I've had this car for 10 years. I'm not stupid, i do research and read manuals. I know how to change the oil and check fluids. I've even replaced my own spark plugs. i just want them to fix it and fix it right!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you all for your comments. Greatly appreciated as this has been extremly frustrating. I will keep you all posted. It will be going for a 3rd opinion especially due to the leak that we suspect is still the axle seal.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 PM
D Tranny Guru

You should have a 12,000/12 month warranty then through ATRA.

Due to legal issues of fighting a lawsuit I haven't been allowed to drive in 11 months so it is hard for me to compare the shifting.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so here is an update. I only got a local in house warranty 6000 miles or 6 months. I contacted ATRA and unfortunately because it's in house warranty only there is nothing they can do but they did call and talk to the garage and they told him they have no problem at all fixing the transmission. And they said that right now it has a misfire and won't touch the car until that is cleared. Well we checked plugs and replaced them. Supposedly they checked the wires and we checked the distributor. No reason that we can see for the misfire. It has a smooth idle to it. I don't have problems when sitting at a traffic light or stop sign. So why the misfire read we don't know.

We took it to another garage and had them do a complete diagnostic test. Came back with internal issue with transmission. Gears are locking, torque converter is fine. Also it still has a transmission fluid leak. So much for it being the axle!! We were told at this other garage that there is play in the axle which tells them that the leak may be the bearings. But definitely an issue exists with the transmission. So it is going back for trip number 6!! Hopefully we can convince him to go for another road test where we want to go to show what exactly it is doing so that maybe they will finally do something about it. The fluid leak is a big one so they have to still fix that.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A random miss and a specific misfire (#3) will produce at least 2 trouble codes, a P0300 and a P0303. Does the engine have a noticeable misfire?

I have seen 3 B20 CR-V's exhibit misfire DTC's without a miss at all, caused by excessive belt tension on the drive belts (which really means the harmonic balancer is vibrating too much.) This "misfire" occurred after replacing the drive belts.

Oil pump clearance must be checked. I'm beginning to suspect a oil leak at the pump or after it, in addition to anything else that was not installed correctly (IE piston seals, etc.)

An axle seal leak is caused by a few issues only:

1: Excessive wear on the shaft seal surface.
2: Worn out seal.
3: Loose differential allowing the seal to break under load and leak.
4: Side gear wear is great, allowing the same as number 3.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok and the story continues... The misfire is not noticable at all. It idles great and doesn't stall out. You might notice a slight misfire now and then but nothing on a regular basis. So the car is still at the garage for the 6th time. On Monday we were told that they were getting an axle seal straight from a Honda dealer. They wanted to keep the car and extra day or 2 in order to make sure it's not leaking. Mind you we dropped it off last Thursday afternoon. And after arguing with me because I was shaking my head to what he was saying I especially loved the part where he said "why don't you tell me with all your infinite wisdom about cars and all your research why don't you tell me the mechanic of many years what the problem is"... sorry still pissed about that. They have now replaced the axle seal for the 4th time with one from the dealer and they replaced the axle. They drove it on Tuesday and noticed a "skip" so they decided to replace the coil in the distributor to see if that fixed it and then adjusted one of the solenoids. This after stating last week they wouldn't touch the transmission until we fixed the misfire. They suggested the coil and we told them NOT to touch it. That once they fixed the axle leak we would take the car back and get the coil/distributor replaced. Well supposedly according to them the car runs beautiful now... with one small problem IT STILL FREAKING LEAKS FROM THE SAME DAMN PLACE!!! So now they are finally going to pull the transmission out to find out why it keeps leaking and chewing through the seals. Seriously 4 seals and an axle and you are finally going to pull the transmission. IT didn't leak at all when we brought it to you the very freaking first time... Oh and now they are also telling me that my lower right ball joint is very very bad. Seriously I doubt it very much since I just had the upper ball joints done and was told the bottom ones were fine. All they had to do and should have done was pull the transmission back out on oh i don't know return trip 4 and maybe they would have fixed it all then instead of fighting with me. And then say "well it's your car you know how it runs and what it feels like" but yet ignore me when I keep trying to tell you for 4 weeks that it's not running right and that someone screwed something up on return trip # 3!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ball joint is probably worn from them separating it so many times to remove the axle... lol