Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Whining noise from tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise from tranny

Whats up guys, I had my tranny rebuilt 2 years ago and this problem just arise. The car started making whining noises within every gear. Well 1-3 its like a grinding noise and whining on 4-5th gear. I know it cannot be bad synchros because I had it installed at Synchrotech (thanks Dave). Well lets just say i hope not because I spent a lot of money on this rebuild! Anyways i had the car on jack stands and left it on 5th gear. This is what happens

What is going on?! Please help!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Whining noise from tranny

Synchros don't make noise, gear damage and bearing issues can. Some light rattling fully unloaded on jack stands can be normal, but that's too much. What's the fluid level like ? How much power? Street/DD USE?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
Synchros don't make noise, gear damage and bearing issues can. Some light rattling fully unloaded on jack stands can be normal, but that's too much. What's the fluid level like ? How much power? Street/DD USE?
Yeah its street/dd... Well when I did a tranny flush (3 wks ago), I got a full fur of metal shavings on my drain plug... Sigh, hopefully its just the bearings and not anything else.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well a bit of very fine metal on a magnet is bound to accumulate over time. A brand new trans will shed a decent amount of material for a while. It's imperative that it gets captured by a magnet, it's a big reduction in life of the bearings. When a trans is apart one of the number one things on my list is clean clean clean. The early trans had a double magnet and cost cutting reduced it to one after about 92-93ish. I add another when I can and having one on the drain plug helps as well. Time to break it down and see what happened.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's more likely the tensioner bearing is bad than your tranny is making noise like that at idle.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

better slap that tranny and tell im to stop whining lol
Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
I think it's more likely the tensioner bearing is bad than your tranny is making noise like that at idle.
I'm glad Honda doesn't use tensioner bearing in the transmissions

OP, what fluid were you using and the mileage since Dave had it apart?

I'm guessing a burnt bearing or two, Either the outboard mainshaft bearing or the two outboard countershaft bearings.

Does the sound change with working the clutch? A bad clutch spring will make a racket like that.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Should go without saying i was referring to the timing belt tensioner bearing possibly being bad.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mista Bone
I'm glad Honda doesn't use tensioner bearing in the transmissions OP, what fluid were you using and the mileage since Dave had it apart? I'm guessing a burnt bearing or two, Either the outboard mainshaft bearing or the two outboard countershaft bearings. Does the sound change with working the clutch? A bad clutch spring will make a racket like that.
I been using honda mtf since dave rebuilt it for me.. How many miles? I would say around 15-20k. Also, no the sound does not change when working with the clutch, I tried to mess around with that as well.. Well if its just the bearings, Im pretty sure its cheaper than replacing the whole components in the tranny if thats the case, but I sure hope so!

Originally Posted by raverx3m
better slap that tranny and tell im to stop whining lol
Haha it would of been nice if Im able to do that without hurting my hands lol!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Its going to suck when you swap out the tranny if only to find out later its your tensioner bearing.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its going to suck when you swap out the tranny if only to find out later its your tensioner bearing.
I think it would be obvious to him which side of the motor its coming from.

Yea its probably a bearing issue. Probably the one on the top of the mainshaft
Old 11-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL where do you come up with this stuff??
Old 11-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really guy... Lol I think I know where the noise is coming from haha!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It takes a long time for an input shaft bearing to make the type of noise coming from that car.

Feel free to update this thread when you actually find the noise.

Im curious how many people in this thread besides me actually have had a tensioner bearing go bad.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Also when mines input shaft bearings started going bad and making noise, even after 30k miles it hadnt even made 1/5th of the noise that is protruding from that car and also its almost impossible to isolate tensioner bearing noise since its resonating into the block.

But hey what do i know, im only going from actual experience.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I suggested to remove and open the trans for an inspection. On jack stands in gear it will always have significantly more sound because there is no load and backlash and pulsing movement acting from the wheels, axles etc.

The one thing that is not adding up to me is that this noise if it was trans related should go away within several seconds of pushing the clutch down as the transmission will no longer be spinning engine rpm.

As for the timing belt tensioner I feel this is highly unlikely as it would not create the original condition the OP described. Never saw one fail or make noise like that in my 15 years with Hondas, but nothing surprises me anymore either.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The one thing that is not adding up to me is that this noise if it was trans related should go away within several seconds of pushing the clutch down as the transmission will no longer be spinning engine rpm.
If its still making the noise with the clutch pedal down(clutch disengaged) then the issue is completely unrelated to the tranny itself as there will be nothing inside the tranny even moving at that point.

But hey you guys should know that since you're the experts.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its still making the noise with the clutch pedal down(clutch disengaged) then the issue is completely unrelated to the tranny itself as there will be nothing inside the tranny even moving at that point.

But hey you guys should know that since you're the experts.
Ok, so you just repeated what I said. That adds nothing. The reason I stated that was to have the OP explain in more detail in case there was something we missed.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok, so you just repeated what I said. That adds nothing. The reason I stated that was to have the OP explain in more detail in case there was something we missed.
Dont be a ******* hypocrite. You had just laffed at me for having the audacity to suggest it was not coming from the tranny, rather it was coming from the tensioner bearing. So no,it was you doing an about face now when you realize you just had an open mouth insert foot moment.

LOL where do you come up with this stuff??

Maybe next time instead of thinking ur **** dont stink and you try to diss someone that clearly is more intelligent than you you will think first so you dont wind up getting bitch slapped again.

ps LOL
Old 11-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Somebody's feelings are hurt! Good luck with the diagnosis OP. Interested to hear what it turns out to be, transmission related or not!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sheesh fellas calm down haha! But like I said, it couldn't be the tensioner because engine makes no noise with clutch pedal pushed in or in neutral while revving engine. I am going to be removing the tranny from the engine over the weekend and send it out to a local guy here. Ill keep you guys posted! Thanks fellas!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by cksnah252

Also, no the sound does not change when working with the clutch, I tried to mess around with that as well..
You specifically said before that the noise doesnt change when you mess with the clutch.

Its really important to give out accurate information in the future in order to get accurate advice. People can only rely on what you tell them.