Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Troubleshooting: B20head/B18b1Block-Rod Knocking noise w/ Low oil pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting: B20head/B18b1Block-Rod Knocking noise w/ Low oil pressure.

Originally Posted by TheShodan
That's on you. I gladly pay for the piece of mind. As do many vets here. Pay to play, or you pray.
Meh, "pay to play, or you pray" is simple fear mongering. Folks, there is nothing magic about bearings made for the Honda (Honda does not make their own bearings) when compared to other top quality brands. The fact is, bearing technology is very well understood and very-very mature; "modern" bearing composition was fully developed just before WWII and hasn't changed hardly at all in the last 80 years.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting: B20head/B18b1Block-Rod Knocking noise w/ Low oil pressure.

Originally Posted by shipo
Meh, "pay to play, or you pray" is simple fear mongering. Folks, there is nothing magic about bearings made for the Honda (Honda does not make their own bearings) when compared to other top quality brands. The fact is, bearing technology is very well understood and very-very mature; "modern" bearing composition was fully developed just before WWII and hasn't changed hardly at all in the last 80 years.

Youre correct, there’s nothing magic about oem bearings. But that doesn’t mean that there is nothing special or different about them. I’m no expert in metallurgy, but I’d imagine that all metals are not equal. And in the field of Alloys, lots of companies use proprietary materials. Just think, every manufacturer will have its own manufacturing process, using different machining and tooling equipment. Quality control protocols are not standard between companies either so don’t make it seem like everybody is making the SAME product out there....I mean, is it crazy to believe that a company making a superior product would charge more money? Why does it have to be defined as “over-priced”?
Old 11-19-2018, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

The value in the Honda bearing is getting lost in this discussion. It isn't about comparing the quality of the materials from the OE and aftermarket bearings, although it is true that the Honda bearings are made with the finest grade materials. Mahle/Clevite and ACL utilize similar quality materials in their performance level bearings as shipo has suggested...

The advantage of the Honda bearing is that you can make the BEARINGS fit your block and crankshaft combination and create the oil clearance that you desire... not the other way around. You have the flexibility of seven part numbers that are essentially .0002" thicker at each step from the thinnest to the thickest. If you use Mahle, ACL, King bearings etc., there is only ONE bearing choice and thus, if you are building an engine and targeting a specific oil clearance, you have to modify the block and/or crankshaft to achieve the desired results. Who wants to make a block and/or crankshaft fit the bearings being used ??? Micro-polishing a crankshaft costs money... Line Boring/Honing a block costs money... and these are the only viable alternatives to achieving a specific oil clearance when using a "one size fits all" bearing !!! This idea that one would install a set of main or rod bearings and check for a "Go - No Go" fit is absurd and not to the level of a quality engine build. In addition, if by chance a main cap or rod proves to be outside of this clearance window, what do you do ???

In addition, being forced to modify the block main journals in order to achieve proper oil clearance introduces other issues that are not desirable. A line bore/hone moves the crankshaft center line up closer to the deck. This alters the crankshaft to camshaft event timing and requires adjustable cam gears to compensate for this condition. Increased load is placed on the oil pump drive unless the housing is modified to remove this stress and essentially "center" the drive around the crankshafts new position within the block. Modifying the oil pump also costs money.

So in closing, to install bearings the proper way... do you simply purchase more expensive bearings to work with the block and crankshaft that you have, or do you buy cheaper bearings and then spend a bunch of extra money modifying the block and crank to fit your economical bearing choice ??? Which path is the cheapest ??? Which path is less of a headache ??? Which path has fewer "side effects" ???

You decide.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet 90% of the people installing king, acl, clevite, etc. are NOT modifying their cranks or blocks for optimum clearance. I also bet 20% of that 90% are not measuring at all.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Free Man
I bet 90% of the people installing king, acl, clevite, etc. are NOT modifying their cranks or blocks for optimum clearance. I also bet 20% of that 90% are not measuring at all.
I would mostly agree.

I did all service manual measurements before and after installing aftermarket bearings. The crankshaft measurements were all within specs. Based on plastigage measurements, the aftermarket bearings yielded in spec measurements and the engine continues to run like a top.