Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Idle problem I haven't seen asked about yet.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem I haven't seen asked about yet.

I think I've read just about all about the FITV and IACV threads out there regarding idle issues, but haven't seen any with my particular problem. It's almost not even a "problem, rather than something that's happening that shouldn't be and I want to know how to correct it.

2001 CR-V EX auto B20Z2 2.0L

My cold start fast idle is normal, at about 1500-1800 rpm's. It does not really surge or bounce, but the idle will not drop at all once the car is up to operating temp. ONLY when I shut the car off and restart it (obviously still warm) will the idle jump up and come back down to normal (500-700 rpm's). So my question is why does it take a restart for the idle to be corrected where it should be at operating temp? What significance would a restart have in the whole idling system (i.e. IACV, FITV)?

I've tried:
IACV - Cleaned
FITV - tried adjusting white plastic screw many times along with testing the brass end with a lighter and verifying that it closes when warmed up. Plugged 7 o'clock hole on throttle body when cold and warm with no difference - still has suction. Which with what I've read so far, I shouldn't really have any suction at all once the car is warm, but plugging the hole at any point has no affect. Only thing that has ANY affect is when I restart the car, then the idle is as it should be. What affect would a restart have on the FITV if any?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle problem I haven't seen asked about yet.

I had a very similar issue on my 99 Civic Si, couldn't really find any info on it I was able to start it and it would idle up for a cold start and stay around 1500, shut it off and then it would idle normal (battled this on & off for a couple years). Then one day the car just started idling at 3k rpms after driving it for a bit and wouldn't go back down. Found and fixed every vacuum leak, cleaned everything, etc...

Ended up replacing the throttle body with a brand new one, new tps gasket & a new map sensor o-ring. Has been idling perfectly since!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Idle problem I haven't seen asked about yet.

make sure coolant is full in the radiator, and make sure the coolant reservoir is between min and max. also make sure the hose between the radiator and reservoir is not clogged.
your issue sounds like it simply has air in the coolant system still.
or the coolant hoses to the fiv are kinked, clogged, or disconnected.