Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Can someone please explain my idle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone please explain my idle problem?

I have a 91 DA Integra and just swapped in a B20B not too long ago. It was running great and still does. Only problem I notice sometimes is IF I don't warm up the car in the morning, the idle will flucuate between 750-1500 RPMs. Eventually, it'll go away after the motor has been driven on or is warmed up fully.

2 days ago, I've noticed the same problem. Only this time, it would have a constand irratic idle. Up and down..up and down.. And even if the car was warmed up, it would still do it. WHEN/IF it didn't, it would have a constant 1500-2000 RPM idle. So it was either one of the two. Either the idle would flucuate, or the idle would be high.

I haven't checked the TPS yet because I don't know how. Honestly, I don't I took off the fast/cold idle valve and carb cleaned it. It was extremely dirty so I thought that might have been the problem. After doing so, nothing changed when I started her up. So I thought it might have been the IACV/IAC so I also took that apart and cleaned it as well. While taking it apart, I drained all the coolant so I can get rid of any "bubbles" in the coolant. I checked the throttle cable and that seemed to be ok. The idle screw is set at the stock setting. I even tried driving w/ the IACV plug, unplugged. It kind of stopped the flucuation but kept an idle at 1200 instead of 1500. I have no clue one what could be wrong.

Does anyoen have any suggestions? Also, how much is a new IACV and a new fast/cold idle control valve? JUST IN CASE mine is faulty. I want to be on the safe side. I've tried everything that I could think of. I'm hoping you guys would have more information on this matter. I'm not as great with motortalk as some of you other members may be.

-Thank You.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Can someone please explain my idle problem? (TheIntegraGuy)

ttt
Old 01-22-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Can someone please explain my idle problem? (TheIntegraGuy)

i had the same problem..but somehow, it went away..lucky me...search an aritle under my id..i think the title was rev up or something..hope this helps
Old 01-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can someone please explain my idle problem? (ggangtong81)

check ur im for small vac leaks
Old 01-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Okay. I cleaned the hell out of the IACV and the fast idle valve. I reset the ECU over night and started her today. It starts fine but idles at an extremely high 2000RPMs. I noticed when I mess/fiddle w/ the throttle cable, it'll lower the idle but then it starts to go in "irratic" mode. COULD it be the TPS?
Old 01-22-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (TheIntegraGuy)

If you unplug your IACV and it still idles high then that's not the problem, the idle should drop to about half that. The flucuating is because there is too much air being sucked in at idle and it's confusing the ecu. I doubt it's the TPS. I think it's a vacuum leak somewhere too.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:35 PM

Thanks! Ok, I tried something else. With the intake removed, there are 2 holes in the throttle body before the throttle plate. I believe one leads the the TPS and the other leads somewhere else. The one closest to the top leads to the TPS. With the motor on and idle irratically, I plugged the hole closest to the top with my figer. All of a sudden, the irratic idle stopped. I'm not sure where the idle IS because I'm outside of the car but it sounds like it's a little high still. I hope that can trigger someone's thoughts to give me an opinion or suggestions.. PLEASE
Old 01-22-2004, 06:48 PM

I fixed it. Thanks for the help guys. It was the fast idle valve. I needed to tighten it inside. Idles PERFECT and runs GREAT w/ all that carb cleaner I used..haha.