Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Still plagued by idle problem :(

Old 08-21-2002, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still plagued by idle problem :(

I've been having an idle problem for months now and I've tried everything I could find to fix it. It's driving me nuts. Hopefully someone can help me diagnose the problem.

My idle will go back and forth from about 1000 - 1700 RPMs. When I first start the car in the morning, it will idle high steadily for a couple minutes, then it will begin the surging idle. The idle will continue to surge until the engine is warm, then it will smooth out and be normal.

I have removed and cleaned both the EACV and Fast Idle Valve. I have bled the cooling system too many times to count. I can't find any vacuum leaks.

I disconnected the TPS, and my idle was steady when the engine was cold, but of course the idle was too high. Could it be the TPS? If so, how do I test it and what values should it produce? My ECU shows no codes.

I'm running out of ideas and it's annoying as hell, plus my neighbors think my car is a POS. I hope to get a JDM B20A soon, but I'm afraid the problem will still be there, since so many parts will be moved to the new engine.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Still plagued by idle problem :( (diLUDEd)

I had a similar problem like yours. I installed a CAI with the K&N filter. (You can probably guess whats next)
I over oiled the filter assuming that it would filter better. What actually happened was that the excess oil was getting sucked into the throttle body and causing my idle to fluctuate.
I removed the CAI at the throttle body and saw massive oil deposits that were covered in grit.
I used the Honda Throttle Plate spray cleaner and cleaned as much gunk off as I could. So far I have had no idle problems.

.....just my 2 cents
Old 08-21-2002, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Still plagued by idle problem :( (LUDE DUDE)

Cool, thanks.

I have heard of some people using "carbon cleaner", but haven't looked for it. Maybe it's a similar product. I'll try that. Actually, right now, I'll try anything. Maybe some blinker fluid would do the trick
Old 08-22-2002, 03:47 PM
New User

I've been plagued by the same problem. I finally got sick enough of revving at every body I stop next to, so I ordered the Fast Idle valve from Honda. I'm going to start there and I'll let you know if it fixxed the problem or not.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:08 PM

I used to own an eclipse with the same exact high idle problem, except mine idled at a ridiculous 3000 rpm!!!

People were telling me that it was a malfunctioning tps sensor. I went out and looked for a whole throttle body and put it on, and by golly, I had a normal idle again!

If all else fails, look for new tps sensor, or if you can find one used, get a different throttle body.