Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Diagnostic Issue: B18B Engine and/or Ignition cut out during lap racing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic Issue: B18B Engine and/or Ignition cut out during lap racing.

HONDA GUYS. Please help. I bought a race ready civic hatch with a b18b1 in it. Has obd2 wiring. No cluster or fuse box. When racing, it'll run good for 2-3 laps, then it's starts cutting in and out, in and out. If I shift into 3rd then back to 2nd, it'll kick in a run normal for a couple more laps before it does it again. Or if I slow down for a lap after it does it, it'll kick in and run normal. It does backfire every time I let off the gas too. I've checked my wiring, changed map sensor, and went through fuel system. It's hard to figure out because it'll sit in my garage and idle and run fine for hours. Only time it does it is 2-3 laps into a race. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 05-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Diagnostic Issue: B18B Engine and/or Ignition cut out during lap racing.

Man.... Do you have a Vehicle Speed Sensor feeding information back to the ECU? This would be a connector on the top of the transmission, toward the firewall. I troubleshot this exact same issues for a long time and alot of wasted money on track days. As soon as I wired that up to the ECU it ran A-OK. (B20 on an LS ECU)
I bought a 12 dollar speed sensor and a VSS Pigtail on ebay and those $20 allowed me to continue running lap after glorious lap!

To expand on this a little, the CEL wouldn't light up for this error, or if it did, it blinked a few times and so I'd think it's cool then it'd just give out. Nothing like hauling *** through a big long sweeper and the car deciding to pull timing/throttle response from you. Not sure what year your hatch is, but I have a 92 integra which would use a cable speed sensor. That thing snapped twice so I figured I wouldn't run one. Now I know, and I really think this has the potential to help you as well.

Last edited by billabongrob; 05-26-2017 at 09:41 AM.