Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

help me pick a build for DD/autoX/HPDE! GSR turbo B18C1, B20vtec ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me pick a build for DD/autoX/HPDE! GSR turbo B18C1, B20vtec ?

ok HT, please help me decide what to do with my engine!

What I've got:
94 GSR sedan, ~2600lbs in usual race trim w/out driver.
170k miles on the stock B18C1 which runs well enough but is burning over 1qt of oil every 1000 miles, and goes through a lot more on the track. Compression is ok and even across all cylinders.
Not installed yet- fresher 01 GSR transmission with Wavetrac LSD(!)
Not installed, might sell it - Greddy 18G turbo, manifold, downpipe, oil lines

Goals:

This is first and foremost my DAILY DRIVER and needs to stay that way. I like my AC, cruise control, ABS, reliability, and 30+ mpg.

AUTOCROSS- I've been autocrossing for 4-5 years and know all about SCCA classing and that anything I want to do throws me in SM class; I know this car will never be competitive nationally but I want to get the most bang for my buck if I'm doing anything with the engine. Will be running 225/45-15 Hoosier A6's. I recently codrove a friend's semi-built K20 DC2 and really liked the torque and NA responsiveness, had more fun than in the twitchy 275-Hoosiered JRSC'ed B18C1/5 EG I've been codriving for a year.

TRACK- I've done a few track days, HPDE's, and SCCA Time Trials and would like to do more of this in the future. No wheel to wheel roadracing or Honda Challenge goals or classing restrictions. I was hoping to keep up with my friends' EVO, Elise, and E36/46 M3's but that might be reaching too far; at the least I definitely want more power than my stock B18C1 has. Will be running appropriate Cobalt/highend brake pads to stop whatever power I have and Nitto NT01 225/45-15's.

BUDGET- maybe $2000 for either completing the 18G turbo setup, rebuilding my B18C1, or selling my B18C1 swap and building a B20vtec longblock or something else.? I am cheap, yes, but I'm all about getting the most value out of my $ and thus the budget is flexible.

APTITUDE- I'm not about to buy a bare block and do all the machine work myself or start from scratch. I can pull my engine and send it off to get reworked (estimates always add up quickly I find) or I could buy a semi-complete built setup, put a head on a shortblock, install cams, etc. I'm good at finding deals and have the time to do so.

What do you think?

I was all set to do the Greddy turbo on my stock engine, but that's probably not the smartest idea since I care about reliability for DD and 40 minute track sessions and I really don't need that much power for my goal of "fun".
A few people were mentioning B20vtec setups in my previous thread (before I decided to keep my GSR and was considering an EF/EG dedicated race toy), and I'd certainly like to hear more thoughts on that. Seems like assembling a halfway decent B20vtec with used/fresher parts would be easier than rebuilding my B18C1 to make similar power once I add up all the work and little parts that'd take. I like torque, and since a K-swap is out of my budget the B20 sounds like the next best thing. I like high revving VTEC-ness, too. Something capable of 8500-9500rpms would be sweet; I'm not sure how the stock B20 bottom end would handle that, though.

help! and sorry for the novel.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help me pick a build for DD/autoX/HPDE! GSR turbo B18C1, B20vtec ? (tronic)

Step 1: Sell the turbo. Reliability and decent gas mileage do not go hand-in-hand with a turbo setup. You'll also spend lots of time and money replacing freshly broken/melted/burned parts.

Step 2: Don't cheap out too much on a B20/VTEC thing, or if you do, realize the limitations of such a build. A stock bottom-end B20-anything CANNOT rev to 8500 all the time. Just negating any kind of rod bolt issue, the cylinder walls won't like it at all. It's been awhile since I really looked into it, but I'd think a $2000 budget won't get you very far for a decent, powerful, reliable setup.

Optional Step 3: While you might not like this concept, here's what I'd do since you're on a budget (and I'm REALLY used to working on a budget ): Sell the turbo stuff, sell the B18C1 or just put it in a corner of the garage, spend $700 for a B20 shipped to your door. Throw it in just about as-is, save that money for when you can afford a properly fast engine, where you don't have to make so many compromises. Oh, and if you don't have one already, buy some kind of baffled oil pan, and then call it a day. When you can run H4 times consistently, consider yourself ready for a faster engine

You won't be keeping up with Evos and Elises, but with $2000 unless you're a winning GRM 2008 Challenge builder, I don't think that'll happen anyway.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo track cars=headache
i'd just freshen the b1 and stay with it. or sell the car and buy something faster.