Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 06:49 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Stagger

taking grip away from the end that is working can achieve balance but at the cost of freezing you at a lower level of performance

Which is exactly why I choose to tire stagger to balance the handling and use no
rear swaybar.

BTW, as cornering grip significantly increases does your shock/spring
combination need to be readjusted as well?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tire Stagger (WWDTrackRacer)

Of course you need to readjust your shock/spring!

The faster you go the more damping you need - otherwise you'd be underdamped.

But, you need to be both well damped AND Digressive.

You want as much low speed damping as you can get - and nothing beats a preloaded leather disk friction damper for getting the job done.

Sadly, all the damper manufacturers have moved on to more sophisticated - but not necessarily better working - hydolic technology. In other words they are living in the stone age.

Between tire stagger, enough damping, and perhaps most importantly: Driving STYLE, you can bend the car to your will.

Scott, who say's "Free the Gilles inside yourself!....(Just don't do it around me)...
Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (RR98ITR)

i thought you wanted a digressive spring...

nate
Old 01-21-2005, 09:38 AM
SJR

Default Re: Tire Stagger (solo-x)

interesting, usually, Scott is the only one digressing around here...

Sebastien, oh, sometimes I kill myself. Again. and Again. I just won't die.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (solo-x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solo-x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought you wanted a digressive spring...

nate</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nate...Nate....still struggling with the basics eh?

Sure, sometimes you want the spring itself to be digressive - which you do by using a special tender spring. Then the main spring does the work, till you reach breakaway force, and then the tender spring kicks in.

Some "geniuses" try to do this with sophisticated linkages and shock curves. And by managing hysterisis. Which makes me hysterical. We have to move past mere storage and management of energy.

The key thing is that even while hitting really big bumps you need to stay sensitive to the micro-granular structure of the track surface.

Scott, who hasn't even told you about Regressive damping yet....
Old 01-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
We have to move past mere storage and management of energy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See, I hear this all the time... and just don't get it.

We all want to go faster, right? And we all know that friction is entrophy at its worst, right? Do you know how much money company Porsche and Ferrari spend on reducing rolling resistance? And, so I ask you, WHO is spending ANY time worrying about the lost energy spent in damping?!?! WHO?!?!

My solution involves concentric titanium forged tubes and a container of imported Italian olive oil.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (maxQ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxQ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

See, I hear this all the time... and just don't get it.

We all want to go faster, right? And we all know that friction is entrophy at its worst, right? Do you know how much money company Porsche and Ferrari spend on reducing rolling resistance? And, so I ask you, WHO is spending ANY time worrying about the lost energy spent in damping?!?! WHO?!?!

My solution involves concentric titanium forged tubes and a container of imported Italian olive oil.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

First thing - I am NOT a dumb person.

And B: Sure, we all want to "Entrophy".

But I'm not suggesting any violation of natures laws. Come ON! I'm just saying "Disregard them". No big whoop.

Scott, who wonders "So they use Olive Oil in Ferrari shox?"
Old 01-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First thing - I am NOT a dumb person.

And B: Sure, we all want to "Entrophy".</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not suggesting you are... just that there is a certain amount of atrophy if one is not exposed to syntrophy between car and man on a regular basis. Panatrophy is only the logical end result of not chasing the only true trophy: autotrophy.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But I'm not suggesting any violation of natures laws. Come ON! I'm just saying "Disregard them". No big whoop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

To which, I suggest the following trick that has solved many a problem on those Friday nights in my parents' basement: WWWCD? (What would Wesley Crusher do?)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Scott, who wonders "So they use Olive Oil in Ferrari shox?"</TD></TR></TABLE>

And Red Bull in drivers of Ferraris.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look - I'm sure this is all very fascinating.

But I'm trying to write a book, and can't be getting bogged down on the finer points here.

You and your buddies in the WCFC (Wesley Crusher Fan Club) can talk about this stuff later tonite after Enterprise and Battlestar Gallactica.

Scott, who just happened to know those shows were on tonite...MuthaFucker!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Scott, who just happened to know those shows were on tonite...MuthaFucker!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahem. MotherFracker is the correct term for the initiated. Guess it's another night looking in for you.

Andy, who wishes Scoot all the best with his "book"... I'll just flip back to my Star Trek Technical Manual and finish my dissertation on quantum quadraplex tractor beam enhancements...

Old 01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxQ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ahem. MotherFracker is the correct term for the initiated. Guess it's another night looking in for you.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

"I Know THAT!"

&lt;Grimace&gt;

DOH! Now they all know I know! Frack!

Scott, who imagines a day when the driver comes in to the hot pits, tells the crew chief what's up, and the crew chief tells the onboard computer to "Enhance it"...

Modified by RR98ITR at 12:00 PM 1/21/2005
Old 01-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Scott, who imagines a day when the driver comes in to the hot pits, tells the crew chief what's up, and the crew chief tells the onboard computer to "Enhance it"...</TD></TR></TABLE>

"Divert all power from the engine to the engine!"

Old 01-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyway, back to business.

Strut Barz? People worrying about deflectation?

For years car manufacturers have been trying to design and build chassis' that wont simply collapse.

And every time they start field trials on a new model they find they still don't have a clue. And they have to install a strut/tower brace.

The aftermarket has responded by offering braces made of exotic materials, and made with fancy extrusions and machining. But they fail to see the real performance potential opportunity here.

Strut Barz are the easiest way to change camber. By using an adjustable strut bar you can change camber setting with the big crescent wrench you keep in the glovebox. This is a big plus when the camber kits available for your kaa just don't have enough range of motion for extreme settings.

Scott, who sometimes wonders why the other guys "just don't get it"...
Old 01-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Strut Barz are the easiest way to change camber. By using an adjustable strut bar you can change camber setting with the big crescent wrench you keep in the glovebox. This is a big plus when the camber kits available for your kaa just don't have enough range of motion for extreme settings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you serious right now? because if you are you're a freaking genious in my book

pulling strutbar together can break the mounting bolts on the shocks...still trying to figure out if this book is serious or not
Old 01-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (azian21485)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by azian21485 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are you serious right now? because if you are you're a freaking genious in my book

pulling strutbar together can break the mounting bolts on the shocks...still trying to figure out if this book is serious or not</TD></TR></TABLE>

He IS a certified genius.. he's Wile E. Coyote..

i hope, in reading this thread more closely, this thread will start to make sense to you.. or maybe it'll make sense but yet be nonsensical.. but that would just be nonsense, now wouldn't it?

-mark, who's read this thread too much and now needs to leave his place of employment.. beep beep.. *vrrrooom*
Old 02-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (mstewar)

I've had some time to think....

On the beach...

By the pool...

And in the rain...

And while battling Montezuma's Revenge IT came to me.

This isn't an idea you can find in the ACME catalog.

This is going to blow the lid off of racing brake technolgoy.

I'm even going to have to start a new Brand to market this breakthrough through.

When Toyota builds their best they call it Lexus.

When Wiley Coyote offers his best it will be called "Special Purpose Motorsports" (Appologies to anyone with a similar name).

Not since Transient Response has the Honda Performance Industry seen anything close to this:

Announcing: The Realtime Transient Brake Bias Pedal Assembly.

What is it? It's only the most important development in braking control since ABS!

Forget conventional dual MC setups with balance bars and prop valves - you might just as well put your feet thru the floor and stop like a Flintstone.

Motorcyclists control front and rear brake application independently - so why shouldn't we????

So picture this: Instead of having a small brake pedal and distributing force via the balance bar, we will have two seperate MC's and pedal levers linked by a wider articulated pedal. Where you push the pedal determines the effective bias. The wider pedal makes left foot braking easier and more effective. The dydnamic biasing allows the driver to modulate the bias as the chassis requires.

In a word - If I do say so myself - Brilliant!

You say it's impractical? You say it's likely to produce inconsistent results?

Speak for youself!

This is the ultimate!

If you're not good enough to operate this kind of advanced technology all I ask is that you stay out of the way as I trailbrake past you at amazing speeds.

Scott, who also made excellent progress while on vacation on solving the whole weight transfer problem, and is very close to perfecting the design of a dynamic hydro-mechanical system that re-transfers weight transfer back to the inside wheels...I'd tell you more but then I'd have to kill you - if you didn't die from laffing too hard first.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:03 PM

Delete brake pedal, add shoe buffer, use time in alleged "braking zone" to polish Sparcos for post-race press conference.

Old 02-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When Toyota builds their best they call it Lexus.

When Wiley Coyote offers his best it will be called "Special Purpose Motorsports" (Appologies to anyone with a similar name).</TD></TR></TABLE>
Great name. Steve Martin in The Jerk comes to mind...
Old 02-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mstewar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope, in reading this thread more closely, this thread will start to make sense to you.. or maybe it'll make sense but yet be nonsensical.. but that would just be nonsense, now wouldn't it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sadly people will read this post and start to think it's all true. Isn't there a place for crap like this? GDD or something?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sadly people will read this post and start to think it's all true. Isn't there a place for crap like this? GDD or something? </TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean its not true? I've already started building my car according to master Wile E.'s theory! I don't believe you, who would lie about such things? Shame on you for trying to cast doubt on his teachings!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (Bambooseven)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bambooseven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you mean its not true? I've already started building my car according to master Wile E.'s theory! I don't believe you, who would lie about such things? Shame on you for trying to cast doubt on his teachings!</TD></TR></TABLE>

and to think RJ jumps all over people who suggest camber kits LOL ...

I'm about to order some 200# GC's so I can raise my car as high as possible...
Old 02-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (nonsense)

I got the 150's and stacked two sleeves on top of eachother (cause I got lengthened shock body Koni's for them to go on) your 200's are gonna be Teh Suk
Old 02-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (TeamSlowdotOrg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamSlowdotOrg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Delete brake pedal, add shoe buffer, use time in alleged "braking zone" to polish Sparcos for post-race press conference.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no need to remove the brake pedal.. just add one to each side of the pedal box.. problem solved..
Old 02-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mstewar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no need to remove the brake pedal.. just add one to each side of the pedal box.. problem solved.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean, this one?

Old 02-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since I'm on the subject of brakes:

"....many people simply don't understand the basic physics of brake systems...it really comes down to the area of circles....that's why 4-piston calipers are so much more powerful than sliders - they have more than double the piston area!.....and people are always talking about how (Type-R's) are Tire-Limited and don't need brake upgrades. But they overlook the fact that that's only true when you're on the threshold of lockup....in fact we spend very little of the pedal stroke there....more piston area increases the area under the curve.....it's the little things like this that all add up to that critical tenth or two you need to win..."

Scott, who wants rotors that measure values formerly associated with wheels...

Quick Reply: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"...