Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tire Stagger (RR98ITR)

"....of modulation what can one say but "more is better".

And what is it that produces more modulation?

It can only be piston count!

4-pistons gives better modulation than 2.

6-pistons gives better modulation than 4.

8-pistons? What? Are you some kind of genius like Senna?

Can you have too much modulation?

No doubt - it might reveal itself in the instant before you left the course."

Scott, who wasn't paying enough attention last time he drove a car with self-energizing drum brakes...

Old 04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. Why buy one when you can have TWO SETS for the price of two? One for each corner. Heel toe this, bitch!

Chris - who got a fracking good laff reading this again.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"....many people simply don't understand the basic physics of brake systems...it really comes down to the area of circles....that's why 4-piston calipers are so much more powerful than sliders - they have more than double the piston area!.....and people are always talking about how (Type-R's) are Tire-Limited and don't need brake upgrades. But they overlook the fact that that's only true when you're on the threshold of lockup....in fact we spend very little of the pedal stroke there....more piston area increases the area under the curve.....it's the little things like this that all add up to that critical tenth or two you need to win..."</TD></TR></TABLE>

My brains just oozed out of my nostril onto my keyboard.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (Chris F)

Scott, Are you bringing the ACME tent equipped with soap box and stadium seating to Expo 5?

Old 04-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"....of modulation what can one say but "more is better".

And what is it that produces more modulation?

It can only be piston count!

4-pistons gives better modulation than 2.

6-pistons gives better modulation than 4.

8-pistons? What? Are you some kind of genius like Senna?

Can you have too much modulation?

No doubt - it might reveal itself in the instant before you left the course."

Scott, who wasn't paying enough attention last time he drove a car with self-energizing drum brakes...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amazing... I was just thinking about this last weekend when I was trying to remove my crank pulley bolt. You see, despite the tension on the accessory belts, the internal resistance of the linear vertical motion of the engine pistons, the meshing of several splined shafts in the transmission and differential, and the brake force (supplied by the ubiquitous "Double-X" chromosome assist) through my puny single piston calipers, I STILL wasn't able to generate the 100 ft-lbs necessary to break it loose.

I starting thinking, "How dumb is this?" Think how effective braking would be if we could raise the engine's and transmission's internal resistance at key points on the track, imagine the outbraking of Porsches we could accomplish then! Like, maybe, an cockpit-adjustable strap wrench?

Old 04-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (maxQ)

Did you try putting a really long bar on it and then using a floor jack on it?

Scott, who hates when "things let go"...specially when they hit me in the head....which is why I'm really careful now, and fully think things thru....
Old 04-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you try putting a really long bar on it and then using a floor jack on it?

Scott, who hates when "things let go"...specially when they hit me in the head....which is why I'm really careful now, and fully think things thru....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh... didn't think of that. If I use a thicker oil in the jack piston, could I generate enough torque then?

Andy - who's car is only experiencing its first weekend on jackstands, so I's gotsa listen to the Xpurts.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All my life I've wanted to be an expert and acknowledged as such.

And when my wish comes troo - it's like this.

But it appears you need the benefit of my expertise, so....

Surprisingly, heavier oil in the jack won't develop more torque. I think this is because jacks are linear devices whereas torque is a rotational phenomenon. I know it's counter intuitive - since in side view it would appear that you are actually rotating the handle. I got so confused trying to work it out theoretically, that I just went ahead and filled my jack with grease to prove the concept. Even though it didn't work out very well, and I got pretty mad when the seal blew and my car fell off the jack, I pretty much proved to myself that...uh....jack oil viscosity is overated in importance by jack afficianados.

Scott, who loooooves his AC jack....
Old 04-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All my life I've wanted to be an expert and acknowledged as such.

And when my wish comes troo - it's like this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

"Infamous is when you're more than famous! This guy El Guapo is not just famous, he's IN-famous!"

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But it appears you need the benefit of my expertise, so....

Surprisingly, heavier oil in the jack won't develop more torque. I think this is because jacks are linear devices whereas torque is a rotational phenomenon. I know it's counter intuitive - since in side view it would appear that you are actually rotating the handle. I got so confused trying to work it out theoretically, that I just went ahead and filled my jack with grease to prove the concept. Even though it didn't work out very well, and I got pretty mad when the seal blew and my car fell off the jack, I pretty much proved to myself that...uh....jack oil viscosity is overated in importance by jack afficianados.

Scott, who loooooves his AC jack....</TD></TR></TABLE>

So... what happened then? I've always wondered what happens when your car ends up in the "jack off" condition. Is there some sort of jacking handbook that I could study when I can't get to sleep?

Andy - who once put his teg in the "ramp off" condition... but shhh...I don't think the new owner knows about that particular dent....

Old 04-11-2005, 02:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxQ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I starting thinking, "How dumb is this?" Think how effective braking would be if we could raise the engine's and transmission's internal resistance at key points on the track, imagine the outbraking of Porsches we could accomplish then! Like, maybe, an cockpit-adjustable strap wrench?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even better, you could rig up a 'engine braking' button. Pick one of your exhaust cam lobes to be the 'engine braking' lobe, if you have VTEC. Cut the VTEC cam lobe to open the exhaust valves at TDC, turning your motor into a compressor. Hook the button to your vtec solenoid, and you've made a VTEC engine brake.

As long as you can poke the exhaust valve open at TDC, you've got your "jake brake". You've released the compressed air in your cylinder and the expansion stroke will work against the motor.

-Chris
Old 04-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you just need one of those E-cutouts on the exhaust pipe.

wire the "open switch" to the go pedal, and the "close switch" to the stop pedal. Jake brake + Loud vtak = teh win!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As long as you can poke the exhaust valve open at TDC, you've got your "jake brake". You've released the compressed air in your cylinder and the expansion stroke will work against the motor.

-Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why open the exhaust valves at all?

Andy - who wonders if it'll make that cool diesel sound under braking... how cool would THAT be?

Old 04-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Stagger (Greyout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Greyout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you just need one of those E-cutouts on the exhaust pipe.

wire the "open switch" to the go pedal, and the "close switch" to the stop pedal. Jake brake + Loud vtak = teh win!</TD></TR></TABLE>

GMTA!

Old 04-11-2005, 03:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxQ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why open the exhaust valves at all?

Andy - who wonders if it'll make that cool diesel sound under braking... how cool would THAT be?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm.

4 strokes are:
Intake
Compress
Expansion/combustion
Exhaust

If you open them at TDC right after compression, your pistons will be doing work in strokes 2 and 3. Compressing in one direction, sucking in the other. The intake and exhaust work will be negligible.

If you don't open them at all, they'll be compressing (doing work) in stroke 2, getting work done on them during expansion, compressing again to do work during exhaust stroke, and then the beginning of intake will be exhaling, and the end of it will be inhaling. Hmm. Could be similar, but I thjink the compression/expansion stroke will essentially cancel each other out, where we let all that compressed air out of the cylinder in the jake brake.

I do believe you'd sound like a diesel motor engine braking.... and with less exhaust it would probably be MEAN loud (and illegal).

Old 04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to tell you Scott. Your brake idea has been done. In tractors they are called cutting brakes. Had'em on my dune buggy too. McLaren tried it on their F-1 cars, it was called fiddle brakes
Old 04-12-2005, 10:53 AM
New User