Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack (https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/)
-   -   Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/excerpts-my-upcoming-book-wiley-coyotes-%22pocket-race-car-engineer%22-1012566/)

RR98ITR 10-04-2004 07:49 PM

Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"...

"....true that Sway Bars reduce suspension Independence...you therefore want to maximize spring rate and run a Z-bar...you want to run as much Z-bar as you can without affecting driveablity...note that the more Z-bar you run the more spring rate you can, and in fact need, to run....the more Z-bar you run the greater the Independence....which is what handling is all about."

"....many car manufacturers appear ignorant of simple physics....brake calipers must be on the downward moving side of the rotor to ensure that the tires are pushed into the road surface....incorrect mounting can result, in extreme cases, in the tire actually being pulled up off the road....resulting in reduced traction"

That's all I'm gonna share with you for now. I'm not that far along with the book, and as you can imagine it's very hard understanding this stuff well enough to write a book about it.

Scott, who apologizes to Carroll Smith...

Modified by RR98ITR at 9:19 PM 10/4/2004

TeamSlowdotOrg 10-05-2004 05:41 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (RR98ITR)

Apologies are for the weak. You'll lose your ACME sponsorship if you don't stand by your tuning methods.

Angry Joe 10-05-2004 07:23 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (RR98ITR)

Is there a chapter on zip ties?

MattD@Stoptech 10-05-2004 07:32 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (Angry Joe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Angry Joe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there a chapter on zip ties?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that's a separate b00k:

"Wiley Coyote's L00se Nuts, Bolts, Zipties and Duct Tape Handbook"

allenp 10-05-2004 07:36 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (El Pollo Diablo)

People, people, let's get this straight..

It's "Wile E. Coyote."

Jon V 10-05-2004 07:44 AM

What is a Z-bar?

MattD@Stoptech 10-05-2004 07:49 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (Jon V)

Dunno...but I hear Z-Germans are coming...

Mike_C 10-05-2004 07:54 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is a Z-bar?</TD></TR></TABLE>

a bar that functions on the z-polar when the sun is halfway between the east and west lateral extremes.

mstewar 10-05-2004 08:01 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (MichaelJComputer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

a bar that functions on the z-polar when the sun is halfway between the east and west lateral extremes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and here i thought it was just a place that sold zima..

where can i get me one of these fancy dancy acme sponsorships?

RR98ITR 10-05-2004 08:18 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (mstewar)

Sorry Doods, I am the Sole Authorized North American Distributor for ACME, and I have the only full factory ride available (I'm the only person so far willing to sign their liability waiver).

Here's another passage I lovingly crafted while in an altered state of consciousness:::

"...it's simple logic really - adjustable damper body length allows ride height change without changing the preload....since there's no change in preload there's no change in corner weight....don't let unscrupulous tuners try to take advantage of you like a crooked chiropractor!"

Scott, who say's "You don't know what a Z-bar is? How could you not know what a Z-bar is? A Z-bar is the opposite of an anti-roll bar. They are sometimes seen on old swing axle cars like VW Bugs and FV's. This embarrassing lineage has prevented the Z-bar's "Amazing Properties" from being discovered and exploited on current racing machinery....you can still find them though in JC Whitney, and, of course, ACME catalogs...

Jon V 10-05-2004 08:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry Doods, I am the Sole Authorized North American Distributor for ACME, and I have the only full factory ride available (I'm the only person so far willing to sign their liability waiver).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pass it my way I will sign it, I have done much more rediculous things...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Scott, who say's "You don't know what a Z-bar is? How could you not know what a Z-bar is? A Z-bar is the opposite of an anti-roll bar. They are sometimes seen on old swing axle cars like VW Bugs and FV's. This embarrassing lineage has prevented the Z-bar's "Amazing Properties" from being discovered and exploited on current racing machinery....you can still find them though in JC Whitney, and, of course, ACME catalogs...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh that Z bar, I thought you were talkin about the other one ! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

Jon V 10-05-2004 08:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's another passage I lovingly crafted while in an altered state of consciousness:::</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think your intellectually assisted posts are starting to rub off on others...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a bar that functions on the z-polar when the sun is halfway between the east and west lateral extremes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mstewar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and here i thought it was just a place that sold zima..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have always been a fan of assisted thinking...

Mike_C 10-05-2004 08:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pass it my way I will sign it, I have done much more rediculous things...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do come as a pretty ridiculous fella.

Angry Joe 10-05-2004 10:25 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (El Pollo Diablo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El Pollo Diablo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, that's a separate b00k:

"Wiley Coyote's L00se Nuts, Bolts, Zipties and Duct Tape Handbook"
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, I should pick that up. My brake lines are zip-tied but I've always wondered if duct tape was the way to go. If it has an appendix on JB Welding I'm sold.

Jon V 10-05-2004 11:40 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (Angry Joe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks like i need to invest in some books... with things slowing down i might actually get a chance to read them!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like somebody may be in need of an advanced copy?

Mike_C 10-05-2004 11:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like somebody may be in need of an advanced copy?</TD></TR></TABLE>

quoting from other threads? tisk tisk... but yes, i am in great need.

RR98ITR 10-24-2004 11:14 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (Mike C)

"...Count me among those who believe that you should concentrate on the end of the car that isn't working...taking grip away from the end that is working can achieve balance but at the cost of freezing you at a lower level of performance........but as you improve the end that isn't working you reach a point where now the other end is the problem, then you focus on that end....in this manner then it's possible to continuously improve the car - working one end after the other over and over, allowing you to achieve greater and greater speed that will leave your competitors scratching their heads as you drive around them effortlessly thru the marbles off-line..."

Scott, who is currently in tough negotiations to keep his upcoming book from being stocked in the Fairy Tales section...

non 10-24-2004 02:44 PM

Uh I don't think you are actually supposed to smoke weed everyday

RR98ITR 01-20-2005 04:30 PM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (NA1.5)

"...you want to run the softest springs possible to maximize "mechanical grip".....naturally you must raise the ride height to keep from bottoming as you take the spring rates down....and cornering speeds increase as the mechanical grip increases.....this is obvious to the naked eye, as at most Pro Racing events the fastest cars are clearly running much higher than the rest......let the stiffer and lower crowd piss blood and wonder why they aren't winning.....You're Much Smarter than That!"

Scott, who shouldn't be sharing this stuff with you...it could wind up in the wrong hands...

artifex 01-20-2005 07:12 PM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (NA1.5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NA1.5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uh I don't think you are actually supposed to smoke weed everyday</TD></TR></TABLE>

and why not?

mstewar 01-20-2005 09:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"...you want to run the softest springs possible to maximize "mechanical grip".....naturally you must raise the ride height to keep from bottoming as you take the spring rates down....and cornering speeds increase as the mechanical grip increases.....this is obvious to the naked eye, as at most Pro Racing events the fastest cars are clearly running much higher than the rest......let the stiffer and lower crowd piss blood and wonder why they aren't winning.....You're Much Smarter than That!"

Scott, who shouldn't be sharing this stuff with you...it could wind up in the wrong hands...</TD></TR></TABLE>

but what happens when a z-bar is thrown into the mix? can't wait til the book hits the presses!

smokin rubber 01-20-2005 10:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NA1.5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uh,, I don't think, you are actually supposed to smoke weed everyday</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think this is what he meant.

Outrun 01-21-2005 12:07 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (smokin rubber)

Did Catch 22 do any contributions about going IHOP?

siisgood00 01-21-2005 04:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
"....many car manufacturers appear ignorant of simple physics....brake calipers must be on the downward moving side of the rotor to ensure that the tires are pushed into the road surface....incorrect mounting can result, in extreme cases, in the tire actually being pulled up off the road....resulting in reduced traction"
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Scott,
I am very curious about caliper placement and did some limited reading trying to understand the fundamentals behind it. You are saying that caliper location is important to push the tires into the road, yet everything that I had read focuses on anti-dive geometry (i.e., leading front caliper and trailing rear caliper). Help me to understand.

RR98ITR 01-21-2005 06:05 AM

Re: Excerpts from my upcoming book: Wiley Coyote's "Pocket Race Car Engineer"... (siisgood00)

Understanding this stuff is hard.

It helps if your worldly experience can provide clues to how things actually work. That's how I started to see the light.

This one time when I went over a cliff - and was paused in mid-air for a few seconds before I started falling - I realized that there are certain immutable mysteries to the physical world.

Take anti-dive for a minute. Think about it. We want all we can get on a front wheel drive vehicle. We're already too heavy on the front. Anti-dive keeps us from transfering any more weight to the front. And don't forget to put all the anti-dive you can on the rear too. Dive is dive. Dive is bad. Therefore Dive is bad.

Scott, who is sorry this book is taking so long to finish..."I learn alot by watching TV"...