Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

EG6 ex brake upgrade path HPDErs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:44 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (roppetty)

Great attitude roppetty! It's about LEARNING not going faster than everyone else
Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EG6 ex brake upgrade path HPDErs (Reid)

[QUOTE=Reid]

He means if you really want to become a better driver, you have to learn to leave your ego at home before you get to the track.

You're the worst type of novice track driver that there is. You're a guy with a fast car, who assumes he has talent because he can probably pass most of the other novices.

No, the best idea for track novices is to leave the thinking up to those that have done this for far longer than them. They've seen the people come and go over the years with the same attitude as you.
QUOTE]

I'm typically a very modest guy who does not let my ego step in front of me. I never said I was better than anyone else. Maybe the instructors were feeding me a line on how good I was doing only b/c my car is fast. Maybe they actually thought I was very good for NOVICE driver. I was mearly communicating what I have come across in my above post.

A big ooops on my part if I came off arrogant. That'll happen when you've had a few beers in you. Hmm maybe there should be a rule, "no drinking while Posting"!

I am here to learn. That is why I posted about my brake upgrade.

I'll be trying the Xp10s / 8s with the street tires.
If it seems like I CAN'T control / modulate the brakes well enough, then the AX6 pads will go back on.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Suspetise...

Default Re: EG6 ex brake upgrade path HPDErs (6spdKEG)

XP8s should be fine with street tires (you could also try Cobalt GT-Sports if the XP8s aren't doing the job, I know for SURE the GT-Sports will work fine with street tires). AX6s are more for autocross use I think, and consequently are probably not made to handle the prolonged heat of a track session.

Keep the good attitude going and keep yourself humble. We're not out to get you, but you have to play your part as the learning student. At least for me, the big deal is that if I get in the passenger seat with you, and you're acting like the hottest **** in existence with little to no experience, I am NOT going to be feeling comfortable. I want to see that you have a good, receptive attitude, will listen to what I tell you, and can be safe. For a novice, that is ALL that's important to me. If you can show me that, then I can trust you and help you pick up speed.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG6 ex brake upgrade path HPDErs (Stinkycheezmonky)

so you think the Cobalt GT sports are the Carbotech XP8 equivelant if not better?

If this is true, I wish I had known about the GT sports before I baught my first set of AX6 carbotechs. The GT sports are much cheaper.. .

I knew the AX6 pads were a more Autocross oriented pad but when I was buying them. I and the carbotech guy thought I would be fine on them since I was going to be participating in my first HPDE. I guess we were wrong.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:59 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6spdKEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you think the Cobalt GT sports are the Carbotech XP8 equivelant if not better? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The XP8 are going to hold up to abuse on track better without fading, although they may wear faster in the process.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG6 ex brake upgrade path HPDErs (.RJ)

I guess my next logical question for those who have experience with both Carbotech and Cobalt pads:

How does the Cobalt spec (B) compound compare to the Carbotech XP10 compound?

http://www.cobaltfriction.com/...s.asp

Carbotech's info is not available at the moment. It's been down for a while actually.. .
Old 10-02-2006, 10:17 AM
.RJ

You dont want spec b's on a street car. They're horribly abrasive on rotors and wear very fast when cold. Stick with the carbotechs...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I have dedicated Pads and rotors for tracking. So I'm willing to have a set or track only brakes.

I have a daily driver so in town driving is pretty minimal. I'll definetely be swapping out my carbotechs for more street friendly pad. My AX6s are great on the street but I just can't bare the squeekyness anymore. I have a set of new blank rotors and Axxis Metal Masters that I'll be putting back on after this last even of the year.

Kinda funny I find myself having 3 full sets of brake rotors and compounds.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6spdKEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I have dedicated Pads and rotors for tracking. So I'm willing to have a set or track only brakes.

I have a daily driver so in town driving is pretty minimal. I'll definetely be swapping out my carbotechs for more street friendly pad. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The carbotechs are plenty street friendly. They dust, but its not corrosive, and they dont squeek too much, if at all. Put them on, drive to the track, no hassles.

The Spec B's will groove up your rotors and start to wear in significantly in whatever driving you have to do to ge there. Unless its going on a trailer, stay away from spec b's (and hawk blues).
Old 10-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Suspetise...

The GT-Sports or XP8s are your best bet.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info guys! Thanks again

Hopefully all will go well with street tires & XP10s fr and 8s rear and there will be no need to get another set of front pads for a while.

If the xp10s are too much, I guess I'll have to decide whether to spend $130 on XP8s that "Might" be better than the $85 Cobalt GT sports. Will prolly have to get some more input here and see how well I do with reducing my braking zones and what not the next time I go to the track.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Suspetise...

For that price difference I'd go with the GT-Sports. I didn't realize it was almost a $50 difference.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

Carbotech actually was taking their sweet time on getting my first order out and I called them a week later saying hey, whatsup, I thought you guys said you were shipping out same or next day. Come to find out they hadn't shipped yet for some reason.

I changed my order to Xp8s front and rear - GOOD news for me!!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: no Xp10s anymore

Carbotech actually was taking their sweet time on getting my first order out and I called them a week later saying hey, whatsup, I thought you guys said you were shipping out same or next day. Come to find out they hadn't shipped yet for some reason.

I changed my order to Xp8s front and rear - GOOD news for me!!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The xp8's are a very good pad, and even at non track temperatures, they slow the car notably better then my cobalt gtsports. They both are a good pad, but the gtsports tend to fade before the xp8(i have not faded the xp8's)

.RJ must have had some special xp8's that are quiet, ad on my car they are the farthest thing from it, but the squeal is such an awesome tone, you should be proud of it :-p

Old 10-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Suspetise...

Old 10-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG6 ex brake upgrade path HPDErs (My95SlvrBlt)

I drove on a set of xp8's for almost 300 miles coming home from a weekend at the track, and couldn't be happier with both the street and track performance. I put them on the car in the hotel parking lot, the night before the event, and took them out on some back roads to bed them in according to the directions. they held up great on the track with R compound tires, and were very consistent throughout the run sessions.

On the street, they gave good bite right away (even when cold) and felt better than the street pads I had been using before. And I did not notice any squeeling on mine during the 300 mile trip home, which was very nice - especially since I remember using the panther compounds years ago which squeeled constantly.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG6 ex brake upgrade path HPDErs (mike-y)

well my AX6 panther pluss compound carbotechs squeek pretty good. I think it may be due to the heat I put them too and I'm still driving on them on the street. Not sure. I did clean the rotors pretty good before install and I bed them in like they should have been. Maybe those metal spring retainer things are out of wack?

Last night I cleaned the rotors especially well before I put the Xp8s on the front. The rear didn't go on last night b/c hmm well.. ., I basically had to beat them on and couldn't turn the rotor with my hands and barely with a rim on there. I didn't like that. The pads came with a lot of meat on them but now I have to get my rotors turned down to fit them. Oh well, till tommorrow.

lata guys.

Porsche Club Octoberfest at Heartland Park Topeka Kansas this weekend. I'll be there, will U?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:30 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6spdKEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Last night I cleaned the rotors especially well before I put the Xp8s on the front. The rear didn't go on last night b/c hmm well.. ., I basically had to beat them on and couldn't turn the rotor with my hands and barely with a rim on there. I didn't like that. The pads came with a lot of meat on them but now I have to get my rotors turned down to fit them. Oh well, till tommorrow. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They will be fine as soon as you bed them in.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you did turn the piston clockwise into the caliper before you put them on, right?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I hate to say this but on that particular night at the particular time I was installing those pads, no, I didn't try turning the piston.

When I installed them last night they only had a lil over a 1/4 turn left to displace the piston further into the caliper. OOPs bone head move on my part.

That position was fine a couple months back when I installed the AX6 pads new onto rotors that had about 5,000 miles on them with Axis pads. So, the difference was small and I didn't even think of adjusting the cylinder. Funny I remember trying to turn the cylinder slightly with my hand an it didn't turn and then I neglected to try with a tool and just said "screw it, I guess I need to machine these rotors down."

We live and we learn I guess.

Not really worried about the rotors having less meat on them now (20 thou less). They were like $6.00 a pop from Carbotech b/c they are having a sale on brake pad and rotor combinations.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, the piston will move outward as the pad material wears down, so its usually something you need to do when installing new pads. At least you are ready to go tho!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

XP8s worked great on the track. I think I only got them to glaze the rotors a little after one session. Rained most of Sat. Track was wet all day Saturday and the 1st few sessions Sunday.

Best track time of the weekend on street tires was 2:14 - Full track at Heartland, Topeka Kansas. 911 Cup car and Vipers put down some 1:57s. 944turbos E class some 2:08s. I still have some work to do on street tires.

I got my braking zones way down and took advantage of the XP8s and gsr brakes. I still can work on this though. I used my brakes a lot less than my first HPDE. Thresh hold braking was great and gave people behind me fits.

Quote of the day from a raced out 98 saleen 383ci on A048s following me around the track Sunday.
Saleen - "Do you ever use your brakes"
Me - "Not unless I have to", "I like to brake as deep as possible"
Saleen - "yeah I can tell", I catch up to you on the straights and then as soon as you hit a turn, there you go", "then its catch up again" he was faster than me but not by much. DOT Rs on my part will even things out a bit more.

I tried a lot to be either braking or on the throttle. I let up sometimes before I braked. Still getting comfortable with the stopping power I have.

*** I had two different Instructors ride with me. A SCCA and NASA Mustang 5.7ltr cobra club Racer and a Guy that is well known in BMW club land and refs BMW club races, Chuck I think, Grey hair, has a red E46 M3 convertible and a older black Audi S8. They approved me to drive by myself the last two sessions of the day Sunday. That went well and I was faster than my 2:14 times but I didn't have anyone timing me at that time.

The weekend went great and I learned a lot about wet lines and being smoother. I also learned the track without cones and memorized my brakeing zones, turn in points and track out points.

I might go to MAM this weekend for Boo Bash.
Anyone else going out there?
I need to ride in a couple FWD instructor cars to learn some more stuff.

dyno Tune yeilded 207whp and 156trq on Friday on a dynojet
weight 2280 - EX cpe - full tank gas. rear seats and seat belts out
2480 with ME. 2702 with instructor in car.

Modified by 6spdKEG at 3:09 PM 10/23/2006

Modified by 6spdKEG at 11:26 AM 10/25/2006
Old 10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a little bit of shaking in the car when I would brake really hard without locking up the tires (threshold braking basically) The shaking was not all the time, just when I was braking really hard. Not really unbearable, but I want to fix it.

Anyone know where I should be looking to solve that problem?

I do not have ABS.. . No PS
I have stock but in descent condition bushings and what not.
Stock Brake Lines
AP racing DOT 5.1 synthetic brake fluid - bled a few times before I tracked.
I heel-toe a lot and I'm always in gear when hard braking. Typically coming from 5th or 4th to 3rd gear when the shacking occurs.